In pursuit of the best sounding MP3 player
Feb 13, 2008 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dhc0329

Headphoneus Supremus
Can you maestro recommend me the ultimate sounding DAP? $$ is no object!! I am willing spend any amount if the compact size player can really please my ears!

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 21
trekstor vibez's sounds exciting but does it come in higher capacity than 12GB?

Actually, I just got the Zen 32GB player today and it sounded ok but I felt like I am missing out on something especially after reading all these "not-so-positive"review of Zen posted here. The unit was quite loud playing on my SE530 and seems to have a better bass response as compared to Ipod classic but wasn't as excited as when I had the Karma while back. The sound coming from this unit seems somewhat colored and slightly bloated but it does deliver a quite bit of power in output. Honestly, I wouldn't say this is a horribly sounding device. Rather, somewhat acceptable.

I would certainly look into those widely praised devices, such as trekstor and sony but those only come in small capacity (8, 12GB) only...
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc0329 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you maestro recommend me the ultimate sounding DAP? $$ is no object!! I am willing spend any amount if the compact size player can really please my ears!

Tell us, what kind of sound do you prefer? Cold and analytical or warm and fun?
Large soundstage an absolute requirement? What type of earphones are you going to be using it, what kind of music do you like? Target capacity? What have you listened to in the past and liked/not liked?

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 21
I have about 60GB of MP3/WMA ripped at 192 ~ 320Kbps which I want to transfer at least half to my portable player. I listen to whole variety of genres (jazz, pop, trance, techno, industrial, metal, ambient. rap, hip-hop, downbeat, etc) so I am not confined one particular geners. The earphone I intend to use would be Shure Se530. The wide soundstage is definitely a must and would prefer warm tone with a good, deep bass but got to have a clear treble.

Iaudio D2 could be an option with SDHC but does it recognize the MP3/WMA tag of files stored in the SD card. I don't believe Zen does.

I just saw the Kenwood HD60GD9 ( kenwood hd60gd9) (Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒPƒ“ƒEƒbƒhbDIGITAL HDD AUDIO PLAYER HD60GD9) ( on the net. Seems like a high-end player with a bulit-in amp at 60GB. This would be perfect for me if I can get it. Does anyone know if I can get this in US?

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc0329 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Iaudio D2 could be an option...."

No, it couldn't. Lots of people, including myself, have found the D2 to be quite cold, and lacking in the bass and soundstage department.

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 21
Currently pairing a Sony NWZ-A818 with Etymotic ER4P IEMs and I am wanting nothing at all. Seriously a good sounding pair.

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 21
Thanks all for your good advices! A818 would be good only if it can come in larger memory size.

I decided to take a big chance by ordering the Kenwood HD60GD9 at Audiocubes.com just now! ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back