In need of: Wire strippers
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

.Sup

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys I'm in need of some quality wire strippers. I've been managing with olfa knifes but its very frustrating. I need something for thinner cables like the canare staquad and for thicker cables like speaker cables. I am from Europe but the strippers can be from other parts of the world. I just need recommendations. Thank you

regards, Peter

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 16
That is quite the range of thickness! I think you will be hard pressed to find one stripper that meets all those needs.

For the "common" wire guages, I really like Klein Tools products. Their strippers are well made, work great and are reasonably priced. I have one for solid and one for stranded wire. Yes, the two types require different strippers to be effective. You will need to pay attention to what type of wire they are designed for as well as the gauges supported.

I would steer clear of "quick strip" products unless you are willing to spend the money for a quality manufacturer (Greenlee, etc...). Otherwise, IMHO, you will be very disappointed in their performance.

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 16
I'll second the Klein Tools ones. I have some that do 10-22AWG solid, yet they are pretty good at stranded as well with the sizes I commonly use, they don't eat any strands or cut into them. At smaller sizes that becomes a bigger problem though so small stranded wire should use a stranded specific stripper.

And the auto-strippers are minimum $80 here for one that doesn't just tell you it's cheap by the build quality. I've used the junk ones and broke the spring, used the better ones and lost strands. Those aren't really worth it if you ask me.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm a fan of Ideal Stripmasters for larger gauge wire, and Paladin stripax pro 6's for smaller gauge wires.  When the necessity arises, I have a pair of Klein t-strippers.

I make a living using these tools, and I wouldn't go a day without them.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 16
Jan 14, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I have found some Klein strippers are being sold at Cable organizer and I have ordered there before so I know they ship to my country: http://cableorganizer.com/klein-tools/strippers-cutters-crimpers/

I'm looking to buy the blue ones. Any final thoughts? Thanks a lot!

I have that very same blue Klein stripper, and it works really well. My only issue is that it has started rusting for some reason, in the area around the bolt that holds it together. I'm not sure why, I don't recall it ever coming in contact with liquid of any kind, and it seems like anodized metal.  It still works, it's just starting to scrape a bit.

This is probably a freak occurrence, because Klein tools have a great reputation. I say go for it, just had to give my honest experience with them.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I have found some Klein strippers are being sold at Cable organizer and I have ordered there before so I know they ship to my country: http://cableorganizer.com/klein-tools/strippers-cutters-crimpers/

Actually a better, and slightly more expensive one, is the Channellock 959: 10-22AWG stranded, 8-20AWG solid, screw cutter, and crimper. Direct from them ships almost anywhere, it's around $5 more. I've never had a problem with Klein (have some strippers similar to the yellow ones and countless screwdrivers) or Channellock (have the 959 and 908 along with pliers and wrenches) though so either way is a perfectly fine choice.

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:

I am looking for good strippers too. From your link, yes, shipping is possible - $89.99
I find the same on ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290521523724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Shipping $8.12

Jan 15, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 16
Wow Zigis awesome, thank you! I will try to find the other strippers too (KT-11055) so I have more gauges covered.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I found pet nail cutter is the best tool for me.

Along those lines, toenail clippers can work pretty well for 18AWG and smaller.  I used them exclusively for a long time before I got my Klein tool, and still, if I can't find the Klein right away or it's out of reach, I still happily use the good ol' nail clippers.

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 16
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. Couldn't have ordered it without you guys.

This is what I eventually ordered:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back