In need of new headphones/earphones
Oct 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zach8278

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I am really new to the head-fi community and i was wondering if any of you could recommend some really good headphones/earphones in the $100 to $400 price range. Please comment if you have any ideas. Thanks! 
beyersmile.png

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 7
You will need to be more specific:

1) What kind of sound are you looking for? Do you like bass? A spacious sound? Are you sensitive to high frequencies? What are things that you don't like, and what are things that you want to hear? What kind of music do you listen to?

2) Do you have an amp or DAC? 

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah. This is a very vague post. We need to know more! Saying you are willing to spend $100 - $400 leaves you open to so, so much. Headphones change drastically throughout this price range. I would narrow it down a little more. Also, seeing as this is your first post, I would tend to say that you don't have an amp. Are you running this straight from your computer, iPod, or what? Some headphones would sound awful given what you currently have to work with. We need some more information.

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 7
It's alright. We are here to help. I definitely would not buy a decent headphone amp before you get decent headphones. You can get a good pair of headphones that don't necessarily need an amp, first, or you can decide to buy a good "starter kit". If you go this the route of the starter kit, though, you will more than likely be sacrificing quality in both areas. Only you can decide which route you want to go. If you just buy a decent set of headphones that don't necessarily need to be amped, you can always get one later. If you're anything like most of the people around here, you'll do whatever you can after you get a taste to find money for more gear. On the other hand, if you get a pair of expensive headphones, you are more than likely going to find out that your source is terrible as the good headphones will only make this more prominent. Are you planning on using these with a computer, or what?

Oct 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 7
  Is it bad that I want to use them with a computer?

Sennheiser HD558 headphones, $130
Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back