In need of advice for portable over-ear headphones !
Apr 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaeno

New Head-Fier
Hello, Head-Fi forums.

For the past few days I have been rummaging this website for a portable over-ear headphone that would both amaze my ears through sound quality and my eyes through visual appeal. To be completely honest, I am a novice when it comes to high quality headphones and headphones in general, so I was hoping that those with more exposure and experience to headphones could help me out. I just want the best headphones I could get for my money that fits my needs.

Here are some details on what I want / need with my headphones:
1. Portable! (haha, hence why its in this thread) & not too bulky
2. Price cap: $300
3. No need for a portable amp or any amplifier for that matter (is this covered by the 'portable' part? haha)
4. Comfortable
5. Use with an iPod primarily (iPod touch second gen)
6. High quality audio... (oh forum, please help me out T__T )
7. Aesthetically pleasing!
8. Low noise pollution!

Of the many headphones i've looked at, I've been most fascinated by the Grado headphones [Grado sr225i]; however, I was crushed when I found it was open air and created lots of noise pollution. :frowning2:. I like a bit of bass to my music, but not overpowering... 

Thank you, forum, for your contribution to my search for the best headphones for me :).
I look forward to reading all your input!

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-76-portable-headphones-reviewed-pioneer-se-mj5-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added-04-07

The ones I would recommend would be:
Sennheiser HD25-1 II
AIAIAI TMA-1
AKG K 181 DJ

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't own any of them.  What I have is in my sig.  All the reviews for them are in Joker's thread.

Bowers and Wilkins P5 is something I am looking to buy because they are so stylish and luxurious.  It is considered to be a tad overpriced purely in terms for its SQ but I guess the price premium is on its style and portability.
Phiaton MS 400 is considered to be one of the smaller better looking bassy headphone that I have seen recommended around here.
And the M50 is seem to be the number one recommendation on head-fi atm for is value performance ratio and as an all good around first audiophile headphone to get.
Aiaiai TMA-1 is a dark sounding smallish bassy headphone that also seem to have a following recently since it is newish.
HD 25-1 II is another good one purely on SQ but slightly less bassier than say the M50 and pricer so don't get recommended as much.  Built like a tank and durable.
Dunno nothing about the K181 DJ

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Oh in terms of purely SQ, prob the HD 25-1 II and M50 will be slightly out ahead from what I have read.  But if it is your first quality headphone, I would expect you to like all of them anyway.  I generally think people overstate how much difference in SQ between headphones for the general listener.  Get the one that you like the look of and from the reviews that is closer to your music signature that you want.

Best is to try them out yourself in a shop of course.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Misread that you were after on-ear headphones when you were after over-ear.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back