In-Need for the best universal IEM availabe
May 2, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #16 of 49

ermm, what happened to the ue18? they havent been out long enough for you to have worn them out, so what happened to them :frowning2:

May 2, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #17 of 49
Since you said you had fit issues with Westones and need solid isolation, crossing off the W3, UM3X, W4s, EX1000, FX700...  Since you also said you need these for a wide genre of music, but more tuned towards electro/techno...gonna cross off the the Monster pro series (they are great, but I think might be too slow for your preferred music), and maybe the Radius duo, the IE8, and the 262, as well (not quite as sure about these).

Now... out of the usual suspects, that leaves the orto-twins, the grado gr10, fischer dba-02, shure 535, the AT ck10/100, es sm3, and maybe throw in the TF10's too.  Depending on what signature you like, if you like the clear, analytical, then the first five/six should work well and should look deeper into those.  If you like a more fun, bass heavier sound, the TF10's are always a personal favorite.  And actually, the SM3's are quite the chameleon, and are great for wide assortments of genres, but you have to get use to their sound; if you don't like dark sounding sigs, then probably forget that one too.

I guess, from reading this over, I'm also suggesting BA's over dynamics, though that's only because the seemingly top 2 consensus dynamics don't offer superb isolation.  Though as a disclaimer, I'm not saying dynamics can't produce electro-techno well, just for me, the BA's generally have the better speed/clarity to match (though you do give up some "oomph" in the bass department, trade-off).

Any ways, I don't know, that's off the top of my head, hope it helps :)

May 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 49

Quote:
The Kozee X1 is actually only $140.  But for that price you can probably get a better universal, but as far as customs go, that price can't be beat.

Wow, thanks for the mention....damn it is cheap. But I prefer quality/price over cheap/unknown quality?

EDIT: Just had a look at Jokers IEM comparison thread, the Kozee Infinity X1 is entry level single driver with sound rating 8.7/10. From Jokers review says, sounds like a Senn IE6 with better isolation (possibly wider soundstage). My IE7's would be perfect but soundstage is a bit on the low end unless I amp combo it with Mk Dot or the E5. But thanks again for the mention.

May 2, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #19 of 49

Quote:
True, I was in a rush when making this thread so I didn't put down my sound preferences and what I like to hear. From some IEM's I've heard so far as well owned etc to start off.

The only thing that I've heard with so much good damn quality, wide surround soundstage, incredible isolation, near perfect highs/mids/low's and the right amount of bass has been a previously owned UE18. Of course you would say for that amount of money of course they would be damn near perfect, but what I would like to hear from some good universals I'm after is the sound quality if I were to be in a studio or live (techno or electronic genre) music event, punchy bass that would slap me silly while being also very clean and undistorted and a bit warm. Highs/mids that are clear and kept up with the rest of the music but not too much (Westones do this, more quantity over near perfect quality). Lows and bass is pretty much what I'm looking more out for though, kind of hard to describe what I'm after, but hopfully this will give some of you audiophiles a general idea what I'm after. Quality over Quantity (which is why I chose the IE7's over the W3's, but the soundstage of the IE7's isn't as much as I would like them to be)

So far I've been looking and have taken a mild interest in the 1964 custom molded IEM's, but not sure if they are any good over some of the better known universals out there and are pretty much the cheapest custom molded IEM's money can buy compared to Westones ES5 and UE's 10-18 range.

But yeah....

how have you heard a previously owned ue18 and come up with the conclusion its perfect? wouldnt that mean you have identical ears to that person inside and out lol

May 2, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #20 of 49

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the mention....damn it is cheap. But I prefer quality/price over cheap/unknown quality?

EDIT: Just had a look at Jokers IEM comparison thread, the Kozee Infinity X1 is entry level single driver with sound rating 8.7/10. From Jokers review says, sounds like a Senn IE6 with better isolation (possibly wider soundstage). My IE7's would be perfect but soundstage is a bit on the low end unless I amp combo it with Mk Dot or the E5. But thanks again for the mention.

May 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 49

Quote:

ermm, what happened to the ue18? they havent been out long enough for you to have worn them out, so what happened to them :frowning2:

if your refering to defQon he says they were not his i think because he says previously owned. he has suggested a couple of times that people should purchase used customs, i dont think he seems to get the idea of customs.

May 2, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 49
Damn it, can't seem to multi quote on Chrome....previously owned I meant by me previously owning them, not me buying it off somebody else or whatever..."sigh".

Now this Chrome has made my thread a mess...let me sort this out so I can answer everyone of your questions for an answer to my thread. :)

EDIT: I didn't make sense there lol.

May 2, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 49

Quote:
Damn it, can't seem to multi quote on Chrome....previously owned I meant by me previously owning them, not me buying it off somebody else or whatever..."sigh".

Now this Chrome has made my thread a mess...let me sort this out so I can answer everyone of your answers for your answer to my thread. :)

oh ok lol dont worry about it the thread isnt a mess its all good.

May 2, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #25 of 49

Quote:
if you had a re-fit and mold done on the ue18 you purchased wouldnt that cost almost as much as having them brand new.

Read my previous post...new post pop up so fast here.

But anyway. I got them as a gift well the purchase, had the impressions form sent out to me, I went out to a local private audiologist (annoying process, your ears getting filled up by this rubberish acrylic and biting on a 1inch block I think it was), sent the impressions back to UE, had the whole thing sent out to me while later packed in a nice little nifty package with instructions, caution, cleaning fluid and the cable and the two earpieces. Had them for a while, sold them to another person (I know What? the person actually bought it, but remolding cost the same amount again?) Apparantly not, maybe now but it wasn't then. The buyer actually said the audiologist's impressions of his inside to out ear/canal and the little narrow place where they stick the foam in, said it was close to mine, so re-fitting was necessary for him, not a complete new remolding fit, otherwise I don't think he would've bought them if his ear was smaller or bigger then mine, but by a small marginal difference. And I don't think I have suggested to whatever you were saying about me always suggesting to people to buy the custom IEM's. Maybe once (because I've heard the quality of the 18's) but nothing else. 

May 2, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #28 of 49

Quote:
Read my previous post...new post pop up so fast here.

But anyway. I got them as a gift well the purchase, had the impressions form sent out to me, I went out to a local private audiologist (annoying process, your ears getting filled up by this rubberish acrylic and biting on a 1inch block I think it was), sent the impressions back to UE, had the whole thing sent out to me while later packed in a nice little nifty package with instructions, caution, cleaning fluid and the cable and the two earpieces. Had them for a while, sold them to another person (I know What? the person actually bought it, but remolding cost the same amount again?) Apparantly not, maybe now but it wasn't then. The buyer actually said the audiologist's impressions of his inside to out ear/canal and the little narrow place where they stick the foam in, said it was close to mine, so re-fitting was necessary for him, not a complete new remolding fit, otherwise I don't think he would've bought them if his ear was smaller or bigger then mine, but by a small marginal difference. And I don't think I have suggested to whatever you were saying about me always suggesting to people to buy the custom IEM's. Maybe once (because I've heard the quality of the 18's) but nothing else. 

damn sweet, wish i got a gift like that lol

May 2, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #29 of 49

Quote:
Since you said you had fit issues with Westones and need solid isolation, crossing off the W3, UM3X, W4s, EX1000, FX700...  Since you also said you need these for a wide genre of music, but more tuned towards electro/techno...gonna cross off the the Monster pro series (they are great, but I think might be too slow for your preferred music), and maybe the Radius duo, the IE8, and the 262, as well (not quite as sure about these).

Now... out of the usual suspects, that leaves the orto-twins, the grado gr10, fischer dba-02, shure 535, the AT ck10/100, es sm3, and maybe throw in the TF10's too.  Depending on what signature you like, if you like the clear, analytical, then the first five/six should work well and should look deeper into those.  If you like a more fun, bass heavier sound, the TF10's are always a personal favorite.  And actually, the SM3's are quite the chameleon, and are great for wide assortments of genres, but you have to get use to their sound; if you don't like dark sounding sigs, then probably forget that one too.

I guess, from reading this over, I'm also suggesting BA's over dynamics, though that's only because the seemingly top 2 consensus dynamics don't offer superb isolation.  Though as a disclaimer, I'm not saying dynamics can't produce electro-techno well, just for me, the BA's generally have the better speed/clarity to match (though you do give up some "oomph" in the bass department, trade-off).

Any ways, I don't know, that's off the top of my head, hope it helps :)

I've always wanted to know and hear the dba-02's, they are pretty good for its money from what I've read and heard. I've heard the EX1000's and to be honest I don't find them any improvement over my EX700's, maybe a bit recessed mids and more but tighter bass. I listen to a wide genre of music, but mainly electronic based. As a previous owner of the tf10's, I didn't like them too much because it was too long to get a perfect fit for me (at least in my case). I have not heard the Shure 535's before or Earsonics SM3 and might look into it. Right now I'm kind of leaning towards the 1964-Q's because of the extra bass over the triple driver version. But a universal would be even better because I would be able to take these anywhere.

May 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #30 of 49

Quote:
well thats because you asked what is really a bit of a silly general question. sorry to be blunt. there is no such thing as the best in ear available. when dealing with matters of personal taste its impossible to give such an answer and if people did, you would just get a whole heap of different answers, may as well just go read the review threads and see what appeals to you from what people are saying, even then however you will be getting an opinion of what sounds best to them, not necessarily best to you.

+1

Thought about the UM3x? bass may not be as much as TF10s but I personally prefer the laid back presentation but forward mids over the TF10s but then again I paid $100 for the TF10s.. and In regards to "taking too long to put them in" I personally find the TF10s easier to fit in my ears but I'm sure many wil disagree with me and say that UM3x are fairly easy to pop back in and out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back