In ear bud vs. full size headphone
Dec 23, 2008 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mudhole

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a AKG K271MK2 with my ipod, and I am pretty happy with it.
But when I use it on the street, I feel a little uncomfortable with the big stuff on my little head. So I am thinking about a pair of in-ear buds such as shure se210 or se310, maybe just a se110. How about the sound quality compare with the full size (same price range)?

Dec 23, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 7
basically IEMs have lesser (or no) soundstage as it is small n compact but offers better isolation.Bass may not be on par with headphones too.

all this are comparisms between same price ranges of headphones and IEMs

Dec 23, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 7
I have heard that the low-end Shures have very small tiny bass compared to their high-end counterparts. However, I am assuming that you like Bass, since you use the full-size.

Dec 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard that the low-end Shures have very small tiny bass compared to their high-end counterparts.

That is true, the SE110's don't have that much bass, but it does have some nice treble.

Dec 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 7
I disagree with the comment about bass, I've only tried one lower end IEM; Shure E2c's they did indeed have pretty anemic bass.

However both my E5's and SE530's have great bass response, the extension on some songs still surprises me.

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 7
I havn't as yet owned a decent-high-end set of full-sized cans but I'm let to believe they offer a more extensive frequency range, generally. Unsure about bass, but it came up recently in a thread or 2 re treble extension; full-sized cans offering soundd reproduction up to 30Khz generally, IEM's, lucky if up to 20 Khz. Then there is, as mentioned, obviously soundstage property which I imagine has to with the respective size of the speakers in each type of headphone and/or the technology used for sound reproduction (dynamic, balanced armature, electrostatic...) and/or the method of wearing ie in-ear as opposed to on-ear etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back