Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #11,057 of 18,240
...then after that, wait for the Zion reviews to instill more thoughts that Bob found a way to even further improve his masterful way of tuning bass.

Here is how I would rank bass from the ones I've heard/owned represented by 3 numbers subbass (rumble), mid\upper bass (kick), quality. Filters used: black\blue
Nice. So 5 is top/best?

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #11,058 of 18,240
Bc 23 Ootb I hope with burn in they space out better. Soundstage feels a bit small. It's growing on me but the bass needs more burn in, after dm I'm a hard believer. Mids are good. Nice treble extension, enough for me tbh, lacking in details

In comparison with og, og has bigger soundstage and more boomy/ aggressive bass. Mids on both are not as detailed, though 23 bc has more clarity due to less mid bass quantity.

Rah 23: ootb I need a backup for this one, brutal, visceral bass, full bodied, nicely tuned, planar goodness from the get go, needs burn in but it truly surpasses the og in bass quality. Love the fact that I got a black copy. I think this is a long due dlc planar from Bob in rah shape. I'm loving it. The looks: it's the same shell as the dm without the gold strip. So it looks spartan and raw af. I can attemp to call it the perfect iem for me. Needs burn in to define the bass but so far... Oh man, THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #11,059 of 18,240
...then after that, wait for the Zion reviews to instill more thoughts that Bob found a way to even further improve his masterful way of tuning bass.

Here is how I would rank bass from the ones I've heard/owned represented by 3 numbers subbass (rumble), mid\upper bass (kick), quality. Filters used: black\blue

Semper - (4,4,4)
Biggest sound and full. My favorite for live stadium and orchestral recordings.

EDC (OG) - (2,2,3)
Polite but still enough to satisfy my bass cravings

BC - (5,4,4)
Deepest bass and kicks hard like a horse.

EDP Ace - (2,3,3)
Same as OG with a touch more kick

Ozar - (4,4,4)
Perhaps my most favorite bass tuning. Good all rounder.

Splash of Gold - (3,4,5)
Very detailed bass

Splash of Red - (3,3,3)
Most balanced bass tuning of my IMR collection. Think EDP\Ace but with a bit more quantity.

Zenith II - (4,3,4)
Was expecting it to beat the BC in terms of subbass due to driver size but feel it fell short. Feed it enough power and it always puts a smile on my face.

Dark Matter - (4,4,4)
Needs a very long burn in (be patient and you'll be rewarded). I feel this the real successor to Semper but doesn't have that super big sound.

Avalon - (4,3,4)
A "brighter" tuning of Dark Matter. Subbass is still there but has less kick.

I'm really waiting to hear from those that got the Seraph+ with the new driver tech.
Now that's a great comparison, thank you very much.
One more thing: have any of you guys experienced driver flex or suction effect on Dark Matter?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #11,060 of 18,240
I got an email dated June 7th saying my BC would be ready in two weeks give or take. Now I see it as in stock but mine still hasn't been shipped or tracking still not working. I'm just venting and disappointed.
My edp ace has more bass than my DM as well. Maybe I should get the Rah 23?

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #11,061 of 18,240
Jan 25, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #11,062 of 18,240
Bc 23 Ootb I hope with burn in they space out better. Soundstage feels a bit small. It's growing on me but the bass needs more burn in, after dm I'm a hard believer. Mids are good. Nice treble extension, enough for me tbh, lacking in details

In comparison with og, og has bigger soundstage and more boomy/ aggressive bass. Mids on both are not as detailed, though 23 bc has more clarity due to less mid bass quantity.

Rah 23: ootb I need a backup for this one, brutal, visceral bass, full bodied, nicely tuned, planar goodness from the get go, needs burn in but it truly surpasses the og in bass quality. Love the fact that I got a black copy. I think this is a long due dlc planar from Bob in rah shape. I'm loving it. The looks: it's the same shell as the dm without the gold strip. So it looks spartan and raw af. I can attemp to call it the perfect iem for me. Needs burn in to define the bass but so far... Oh man, THIS IS WHAT IM TALKI
would you say the Rah 23 is better than the DM?

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #11,063 of 18,240
These Elan+ are very special. I'm loving them so far. Think they could replace the DM in the line up which says a lot given how much I love the DM. The Elan+ match the intensity & intimacy of the DM but take things deeper & wider. I'm using the same tips I use on the DM - azla crystal light short - but I think whatever you use on the DM will be good.
The bass is something else on them. Colossal, detailed & textured. I think the best bass I've heard. Has something of the Aten bass about them but an evolution of that. But it doesn't steal the show or unbalance them as vocals are sublime and mids seem more forward than the DM. Highs remind me of the Astra smooth and detailed.
These have demolished any test track I've thrown at them so far. I've got people round & I have to keep making an excuse to disappear & listen to them for a few minutes & then can't take them out.
iv been interested in Elan+ for some time now but been super happy with DM so slowed down a bit on buying! Do you by any chance have DM? If you do how do they compare? Thanks in advance for your help👍

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #11,064 of 18,240
Bob shipped my 2nd set of Ozar on the same day he got my order (like the first set) and after two weeks @customs the postman didn't even bother to ring the bell yesterday but instead left a note that I could pick them up at the post office today. What?

Anyway ... can't wait to compare them to the first set after some burn-in but that will most likely take a couple weeks. In the meantime I prolly won't order anything unless a pair of Zenith II shows up somewhere.

Edit: @AlexCBSN : I had an eye on the Rah '23 as well, great to hear you like them so far. Happy burn-in!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #11,065 of 18,240
Congrats to everyone who received or about to receive your new toys. Unfortunately for me, the wait was too long so I cancel both my BC and Titan last year and channel my funds to Traillii. Still can't wait to read your impressions on the new models especially for Titan and Seraph+

Jan 25, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #11,066 of 18,240
Interesting you have found this synergy. I think amp12 is the 300s version of amp8 on the 220. So Amp12exn could be similar to amp8fe & the Astra sing with this amp. DX220 + amp8fe + PWAudio m2 cable is my favourite setup for the Astra.

I hadn't seen the npaudio site so was good to see as they are in the UK. I had my DX220 & amp8 & 9 modded by fidelizer & would recommend his work highly. It was stressful to send everything to Thailand but worth it in the end. His prices were more reasonable than npa but I did it a couple of years ago.

If you have the Semper consider a modded amp13. The modded amp9 on the 220 & the Semper are a perfect match. The tubes do something magical to them.
AMP12 was inspired by AMP8, so EXN is basic version but on steroids. The most important is that the sound is slightly more bodied, especially with Astra's bespoke dynamic. With avalon the good synergy relieves more treble that may lack at some point after you burnt them in.
Unfortunately I've never heard Semper.

Zenith II - (4,3,4)
Was expecting it to beat the BC in terms of subbass due to driver size but feel it fell short. Feed it enough power and it always puts a smile on my face
I think ZII deserve more because they provide something you can't feel with any other iem. Some rumble and depth that is unique...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #11,068 of 18,240
Just ordered my first IMR, the Ozar and can’t wait to try it out.

Can anyone suggest a good way to do the „burn-in“ process? Thanks so much all great recommendations and support.
Somebody makes it with pink noise, another approach is to run your favorite music list on volume that you normally listen to or or just a bit louder. 20 hours per day till you'll reach 200 hours

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #11,069 of 18,240

Rah 23: ootb I need a backup for this one, brutal, visceral bass, full bodied, nicely tuned, planar goodness from the get go, needs burn in but it truly surpasses the og in bass quality. Love the fact that I got a black copy. I think this is a long due dlc planar from Bob in rah shape. I'm loving it. The looks: it's the same shell as the dm without the gold strip. So it looks spartan and raw af. I can attemp to call it the perfect iem for me. Needs burn in to define the bass but so far... Oh man, THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT
Good to hear your impressions. My feeling is that as of now - low burn-in time - I'm getting veiled and/or recessed vocals, cymbals, etc...to the point where I feel the urge to reach into the sound and pull them forward and demand a bit of a sharper sound out of them. Is any of this resonating with your experience?

I've not had planars from IMR before so don't know if this is par for the course until the diaphragm gets comfortable...or whether this is a wonky set.

Right now running them with red base/blue top. Red tops sounded muffled. All bottoms bassier than reds were another level, in my view way exceeding DM in quantity. I might still feel the DM was a bit tighter but need to reexamine. From recollection DM felt better balanced...but, again, maybe a burn in issue.

Jan 25, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #11,070 of 18,240
Just ordered my first IMR, the Ozar and can’t wait to try it out.

Can anyone suggest a good way to do the „burn-in“ process? Thanks so much all great recommendations and support.
The Ozar I did listening burn-in whilst using it as my main IEM. It was always enjoyable to me. Gave it's excellent sound from the off. Bass in particular blossomed over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back