Impulse Responses Graph, what does it mean?
Aug 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RedBull

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi folks,

I've been searching trough internet anywhere, but I don't seem to really get a satisfying answer what an Impulse response is. Some shows impulse reposes, but with different presentation (X and Y) with what Headroom has. So I attach several headphone impulse responses from headroom, without the name of the headphone, please help to tell me which one is the best response from a transducer. The reason I don't put the name is to ensure you're not affected by your 'favorite' phone preference because you like them.

The reason I want to know this is, some people said this headphone is FAST, but I do not believe in subjective comment without proving technically that it is really fast, I guess one of the tool to see is from Impulse Response, no?

I also read that Impulse Response is better to see the 'speed' of a transducer vs Step Response.

Thanks in advance guys ...

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 14
HTH:

"The Impulse Response graph is literally a graph of the response of the system to an impulse. To produce this picture, an impulse (single pulse of size 1) is input to the system and the output waveform is then observed until the amplitude of the output signal is small. "

Think of the frequency response graph as being the impulse response of an entire sine wave (input wave).

Joseph D'Appolito has written widely on the subject, including an excellent (amazing, really) series of articles describing each graph in great detail. I'll see if can scan my copy for you.

NK

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Found it!
biggrin.gif
(They should really help)

audioXpress - Articles and Addenda

You can download the articles in their entirety: 9/08 and 10/08

HTH

NK

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 14
Great info Nick! Really helpful, I like to see how theory match our ears
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe you too.

From this theory, which graph do you think has the best Impulse Response? considering the graph at Headroom looks considerably different look than the concept.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 14
It'd be great if headroom could make those graphs public. They have no labels in that image, nor x-axis labels.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 14
Graphs won't tell how good a phone is, or whether you'll like the way they sound. It's a terrible way to narrow down a choice of headphones.

Even if a graph suggests a phone will be FAST, it may not sound anything like that to your ears. Sound perception is subjective, you can't get away from that.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have no labels in that image, nor x-axis labels.

?? Which image are you talking about?

Aug 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 14
The one in the OP.

EDIT: turns out you can see the impulse response graph by editing the url on headroom. Although the x-axis labels are still missing.

Aug 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one in the OP.

EDIT: turns out you can see the impulse response graph by editing the url on headroom. Although the x-axis labels are still missing.

Yes it is, the Impulse response does not seem to be like the standard Impulse response graph I see in other place. I don't know how to read that and whether mine is good or bad.

Impulse response like what I understand, it does not tell the correct timbre, frequency response is, but with the good Impulse response, we will get good instrument separation, the right instrument texture, soundstage and depth. Right b0dhi?

Actually they have x and y labels, which for x is "seconds", ... "seconds"? I thought it suppose to be miliseconds instead?

You can get those graph by editing the headroom url Graph Type = 5

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Oct 10, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 14
Graphs won't tell how good a phone is, or whether you'll like the way they sound. It's a terrible way to narrow down a choice of headphones.

Even if a graph suggests a phone will be FAST, it may not sound anything like that to your ears. Sound perception is subjective, you can't get away from that.

yeah, the good old, "I don't know how to interpret a graph, so graphs can't tell how good a phone is"...
rolleyes.gif

I've always seen it, and will always apparently.

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 14

yeah, the good old, "I don't know how to interpret a graph, so graphs can't tell how good a phone is"...
rolleyes.gif

I've always seen it, and will always apparently.

I was still single when that post was made, argh 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #13 of 14
yeah. and we can still read it once week on any forum. it didn't age one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back