Improving What I Have
Jun 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ruel

Head-Fier
(Updated from a previous thread)

I am looking for a solid DAC/Amp to use with a MacBook (3,1) and iPod touch. I am currently listening through Grado SR60's at home, when the open design is not an issue. ATH-M50's when out and about/traveling.

Right now I am looking at the iBasso D2 Boa. It's price point is in a nice place for me, less than $200. (And there's a deal for a LOD.) It had the USB DAC capability I was looking for as well. (For use with the MacBook.)

Other products I'm looking at:
HeadRoom Bithead

Any opinions/recommendations?

On a separate note: Would it be 'harmful' to the ATH-M50's if I used them extensively without a DAC/Amp?

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 9
if you can stretch to the D10, you will be a much happier person; even if you wallet is sobbing in the corner
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm not sure wallet abuse is legal where I live.
Goodness iBasso knows how to sell their products though. That description!

My concern with the D10 is this: am I paying extra for features I won't be using in the foreseeable future? Like optical and coaxial?

Is the extra investment in an amp something that will carry over for years, and several headphone upgrades? I'm already eye-balling the Denon AH-D2000's and AKG K702's. To come once I convert my entire listening library to lossless. (Currently I have some 256 files and even 192 files littering the playlists.) And for when my wallet heals...

It amazes me how frustrated I become with lower quality files. If someone would have told me low bit rate would annoy me two years ago. Well, I'd rationalize, then laugh at them.

beyersmile.png

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure wallet abuse is legal where I live.
Goodness iBasso knows how to sell their products though. That description!

well its all true, it really is an amzing little portable dac/amp

Quote:

My concern with the D10 is this: am I paying extra for features I won't be using in the foreseeable future? Like optical and coaxial?

well sure you are paying for them duh... but consider that the D10 sounds as good or better than pico dac and definitely IMO far superior to predator for half the price and you have your answer. then once you get a source with optical or coax (many computers have them these days, the SQ will leap ahead of both of them to become what is IMO and pretty much general consensus the best sounding portable on the market

Quote:

Is the extra investment in an amp something that will carry over for years, and several headphone upgrades? I'm already eye-balling the Denon AH-D2000's and AKG K702's. To come once I convert my entire listening library to lossless. (Currently I have some 256 files and even 192 files littering the playlists.) And for when my wallet heals...

well sure it does, but of course there is the inevitable upgraditus that can ensue
evil_smiley.gif
my woody D2000 sound magnificent with D10 (topkit modded) but I would not recommend the K702 for it. in fact I would not recommend the K702 to go with any portable and many home amps. its requires the power of a very good home amp to sound decent. even then i'm not a fan, but through a lower power portable it is just boring IMO

Quote:

It amazes me how frustrated I become with lower quality files. If someone would have told me low bit rate would annoy me two years ago. Well, I'd rationalize, then laugh at them.

yeah welcome to head-fi
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 9
The Bithead isn't very practical with corner mounted jacks and no rechargeable battery, with that in mind I would have to go with something from ibasso. Even better still, I would wait for a portable from Ray or Justin in the 4 sale section.
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well sure it does, but of course there is the inevitable upgraditus that can ensue
evil_smiley.gif
my woody D2000 sound magnificent with D10 (topkit modded) but I would not recommend the K702 for it. in fact I would not recommend the K702 to go with any portable and many home amps. its requires the power of a very good home amp to sound decent. even then i'm not a fan, but through a lower power portable it is just boring IMO

I should hold off from looking at the next cans for a while. My wallet is already quivering in the corner. Out of curiosity: what genres of music do you listen to?

The D10 is looking very very attractive. I need to have a long, honest talk with my bank account though.

To make sure I get the best from the D10 and my iPod I'm looking at LOD's. I may already be spending a good deal on the D10, or if I can't pull the trigger, the D2 Boa; is the LOD offered by iBasso a fair product?

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should hold off from looking at the next cans for a while. My wallet is already quivering in the corner. Out of curiosity: what genres of music do you listen to?

maybe better to ask what I dont listen to
wink.gif
. primarily I listen to electro, tech house, trip-hop, Dubstep, ambient, alternative, Jazz, soul, blues, some classical, some hip-hop, but no gansta crap or commercial types, absolutely no country and western

Quote:

The D10 is looking very very attractive. I need to have a long, honest talk with my bank account though.

yeah IMO it represents soime of the best value in portable audio today. I use it with my Lisa III as well if i'm going large, but the D10 does a very respectable job all by itself too.

Quote:

To make sure I get the best from the D10 and my iPod I'm looking at LOD's. I may already be spending a good deal on the D10, or if I can't pull the trigger, the D2 Boa; is the LOD offered by iBasso a fair product?

well here is where I cant really comment, not only have I not heard one of their interconnects, but it would be out of line for me to comment even if I had. you should get an LOD though if you are going to use a portable with your ipod, no question there
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Seems I'll be able to shake down the money tree enough to pull together funds for a D10. I'm looking forward to re-examining my favorites and (hopefully) discovering new textures and nuances! Especially with my new ATH-M50's.

It may help to note. Most of the music I listen to is of the Classical genre, especially Opera and piano. Other 'frequented' styles often include a strong vocal line and acoustic instrumentation. A good deal of the 'other' music includes a strong bass line as well (drums).

On a separate note: With the reduced price of iPhones I plan to grab one, and sell my iTouch. What iTunes compatible player offers the best sound? I suppose the question is: what iPod offers the best sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back