Improving my W4R
Mar 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mogumagnus

Head-Fier
Been enjoying the W4Rs with sony hybrid tips, listening straight from an iPhone 4S. This forum, being what it is, has got me thinking how I can improve the sq. Should I...

1) Get an portable amp. Thinking either a Pico Slim or ALO Rx Mk2?

2) Upgrade cables to Moon Silver or TWags. I know the baldur mk2 has been getting gd reviews, but I don't really like memory wires/tubing.

3) Save up, be contented with my W4R for a yr or two before upgrading to JH13 or 16. =D

Any thoughts?

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Portable amps offer little to no sound quality improvements with high efficiency IEM's such as the W4R's. Cables, IMO, is snake oil and don't improve the sound quality from a well built and durable cable. Option #3 seems the best, IMO.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Or get some um56 tips made if you want to see how customs feel.

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Been enjoying the W4Rs with sony hybrid tips, listening straight from an iPhone 4S. This forum, being what it is, has got me thinking how I can improve the sq. Should I...

1) Get an portable amp. Thinking either a Pico Slim or ALO Rx Mk2?

2) Upgrade cables to Moon Silver or TWags. I know the baldur mk2 has been getting gd reviews, but I don't really like memory wires/tubing.

3) Save up, be contented with my W4R for a yr or two before upgrading to JH13 or 16. =D

Any thoughts?

I've been using my Westone W4 and W4R so far and there is no problem with the cable so far.

I believe that one of the upgrade that you can try is to play around with the tips, so far if you'd like to hear more bass, use the Comply Foam Tx-500 and if you'd like to hear high, use the new STAR tips.

i also sometimes use my Fiio E11 for the portable amp, but I cannot tell any difference with just normal Westone IEM plugged straight to my iPhone or laptop as the source lsitening on lossles / Audio CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back