Improvement, or step-up from my Sennheiser IE8s
Apr 19, 2009 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RAFA

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

Actually I was pretty sure what headphone I want: Firstly a ESW9(250€), then reconsidered and chose the Ultrasone Proline 900(330€). BUT since I do not have so much money that often, i cannot buy new headphones that fast again when I do not like them.

I have tried some full-size headphones in a shop, but they played some music I do not like and from a crappy source. Second problem is that they only have headphones that are not top of the line. Best one for example were the monster beats dr dre...

Discussion about what headphone would fit my favourite music genres best is not usefull, since I listen to every kind of music. So I thought it would be better to just search an improvement from my Sennheiser IE8s. That means: If you use the Sennheiser IE8 first, and then use the other phone(what you recommend me) from the same source, the music sounds better or much better.
(300€ Budget)

Thank you in advance for your comments
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 12
What is it about Sennheiser IE8 sound that you don't like or that you feel is lacking?

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Apples and Oranges My Friend. Almost any full sized can in your price range will sound better than an IEM. Even Senns which are some of the best IEM's I've heard in thier price ranges. IEMs just can't move the air that a full sized headphone can. at 300 eu
(about 425.00 US?) almost any top line model such as Senn HD650's, Ultrasone Pro900's Beyerdynamic DT990's or DT880's, Grado RS2, AKG 701,<<<<<< and I could go on.
I have become a Total Denonista so I'm way too biased, but the AHD5000's would be my choice in that range.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Seriously, what don't you like about the IE8s? I just got them a week ago and I am totally in love with them.

I can understand if it is just a convenience issue, as I find IEMs a pain in the ass in general and the IE8s fit me wonderfully.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #7 of 12
Hi

Sorry first, we had night here in Europe... so I was sleeping, that is why I did not wrote. Thank you for your comments. I love my IE8s, there is nothing bad about them, but boomy3555 is right, I just want something new. Or I just want to klimb up the ladder of SQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, but it is a good question, how could the sound of the IE8s be better for me. A little better heights. I heard the AKG k701 in a shop, if the IE8s would have such heights, but still keep its lows and mids, it would be nice. However I like the IE8s and I will still use them on the go. I do not have full-size headphones, so I need some
biggrin.gif

Are the Ultrasones pro900 a good choice for me or take the denon ahd5000. I found a poll thread where people are kind of undecided-> 14 to 15 for the d5000s.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm a new Denonista, and you can see by ny sig. that I have auditioned many others over the past few months. It is just a coincidence that My second chioce for favorite was the Ultrasones. The ultrasones are excelent but I feel that the Denons just do everything the Ultras can but better accross the board and with every genre I've tried ( everything except Rap)

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Apples and Oranges My Friend. Almost any full sized can in your price range will sound better than an IEM. Even Senns which are some of the best IEM's I've heard in thier price ranges. IEMs just can't move the air that a full sized headphone can. at 300 eu
(about 425.00 US?) almost any top line model such as Senn HD650's, Ultrasone Pro900's Beyerdynamic DT990's or DT880's, Grado RS2, AKG 701,<<<<<< and I could go on.

Well that buys the cans but doesn't buy the amp. A lot of the the top of the line headphones require amps. Not having an amp severely limits the range of phones that can be considered top of the line.

Apr 20, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Yeah, I know...(thanks for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif
) The amp will be bought ~3 weeks after the headphones. I think all of these 400$ and up headphones need an amp. These three weeks will be full of pleasant anticipation. Here I am pretty sure what amp; CORDA XXS.

boomy3335-> what kind of music do you listen? I read that the pro 900s have recessed mids; how are the mids on the ahd5000?

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 12
Hmm, half of my music is rap or rnb... BUT! Since i have my Senheiser IE8 I nearly stopped listening to rap. The reason is that it sounds like that for example a whole record is kind of smoothened.
It is like you take sand paper and drive over the record till it sounds kind of round. I do not like that
frown.gif
I like every aspect of a voice, even if it sounds bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back