Impressions on the IFA-Berlin
Sep 2, 2003 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jan Meier

King Corda
Member of the Trade: Meier Audio
Dear Headfellows,

Just a few picture-impressions of the IFA-Berlin.

Sennheiser Orpheus in combination with a Burmester CD-player. Unfortunately there was too much background-noise to get a good impression on the sound, but it sure looks good. The Sennheiser representative offered to send me the phone to try it for a few days/weeks at home, just for the fun. I'm not sure I will resist this one! :)

IMG_0261small.jpg

IMG_0262small.jpg

There she is!

!!!! HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 !!!!

Unfortunately connected with all other headphones to one single source (bad sound!) and a lot of noise around.

Major changes in appearance compared to the HD600.

Colors: Gray and (shiny) black lacquer.

Cable: slightly thicker than the HD600. However, the technician told me that there's no major difference in the concept of the cable. Upgrade cables still seem to make sense to me

2-piece head-cushion (4-piece with the HD600).

IMG_0266small.jpg

IMG_0268small.jpg

The new Philips HP1000

Mmm.......

The old HP890 and HP910 definitely looked better. Somehow this new phone looks a little bit cheap to me. No sonic impressions yet.

IMG_0269small.jpg

IMG_0272small.jpg

A prototype of the upcoming Philips Dolby Headphone Surround Systems. This is the wireless version. I ordered the non-wireless version for testing and hope to get it in Oktober.

IMG_0274small.jpg

Other news:

AKG will bring the HEARO PLAYER. It's a software that in combination with the Windows Media Player gives you the IVA functionality of the HEARO888/999 systems. I got a demo-version on CD but haven't tested it yet. Apparently it also can be downloaded from www.akg.com/hearoplayer but I somehow didn't manage to do so. Maybe it hasn't been installed yet. It says that the full-version also can be downloaded. You may try if you're interested.

The AKG K701 project has been cancelled. A new K601 has been delayed till next year.

A new version of the HEAR999 and various new headphone models were presented. I guess you scan the AKG home-page.

Ultrasone presented their new HFI2000G. No major changes compared to the old HFI2000 though.

That's it.

Cheers,

Jan

Sep 2, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 12
Very nice.
biggrin.gif

The AKG software is available on their website.
They have a demo to try or you can buy the plugin for under $12 US.

I can't wait to hear your impressions on the Philips Dolby Headphone system.

Did you get to verify the pricing on it?

$200 sounds almost too good to be true.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
Dear Headfellows,
There she is!

!!!! HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 .. HD650 !!!!

Unfortunately connected with all other headphones to one single source (bad sound!) and a lot of noise around.

Major changes in appearance compared to the HD600.

Colors: Gray and (shiny) black lacquer.

Cable: slightly thicker than the HD600. However, the technician told me that there's no major difference in the concept of the cable. Upgrade cables still seem to make sense to me

Thanks, Jan.

I for sure like the new look of the HD650 much more than the fake marble on the HD600. Good to know my Equinox cable is staying.

Sep 3, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 12
aawww sexy sexy sexy man looks much better, color looks like graphite grey to be more specific
biggrin.gif

no more notch in the cushion where i could easily hang the headphones without denting in the foam but oh well heheh nice pictures jan!

Sep 3, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 12
Jan-
Thanks so much for the preview photos. I cannot wait to hear your impressions of the Senn650 and the Philips Dolby Headphone unit.

John

Sep 3, 2003 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Jan yud'a man!

I'll spread word about these since I've just endured another grueling painful round of speaker roulette in my bad acoustical room again. UGhh. I'm starting to get sick of the whole speaker empire, I still get better sound from headphones way better than I get with speakers in my room.

If I see another speaker system trying to impress me at a major electronics store I'll kick it's XXX
very_evil_smiley.gif

just venting off some steam.

here's a poem I just made two seconds ago.

Jan is the man with
a grand slam'n plan
biggrin.gif

Jan your my hero!

I'm actually using a sponge to soak up the foam from my mouth from looking at those pictures. Nice work Jan.

I didn't think you could get so dolby headphonographic
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 12
> I can't wait to hear your impressions on the > Philips Dolby Headphone system.
> Did you get to verify the pricing on it?

Apparently the wireless system will have a MRSP of around EUR 400,-

The non-wireless system has been mentioned both to cost EUR 200,- and EUR 300,-. Whatever is true I'm not sure. Maybe there are two prices and one is including a headphone.

> So very sweet photos.
> I didn't think you could get so dolby headphonographic

It helps having a nice camera :)

(Canon Powershot S40)

Jan

Sep 4, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mkyy
Thanks, Jan.

I for sure like the new look of the HD650 much more than the fake marble on the HD600. Good to know my Equinox cable is staying.

since the HD600's headband was made of carbon fibre, wouldn't it make sense for it to look like it??...haha, at least it's supposedly CF, but who knows.

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
Boy that Orpheus surely looks like an obscure cult altar...

So very sweet photos.

Well, headphone hi-fi *is* a pretty obscure cult...
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 12
wor.jpg

Quote:

Originally posted by miroslav
Boy that Orpheus surely looks like an obscure cult altar...

So very sweet photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back