Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion from post #120)
Feb 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #466 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ As much as I agree with everybody who likes the Ortofons, I'm kindly asking you folks,
if you recommend the e-Q7 to fellow head-fiers, please do also point out potential fit problems!
I've adapted the Fit-section in post #1 to illustrate this issue. Thanks for your understanding!
smile.gif

Well, I think that one has to actually try an IEM to know for sure whether it will fit his ears or not, so warning people about potential fit issues only stirs them away from buying and trying and that's not a good thing. Sure, those who will have fit problems might complain that those who suggested the IEMs to them did not warn them, but then those who end up getting a good fit and great sound will be thankful that nobody scared them with fit issues possibly preventing them from missing out on the great sound. Now, those who end up being unable to get a good fit can just return or sell the IEMs and get something else, but those who were scared away from buying the IEMs may never try what could possibly be their perfect IEM. And I think the latter case is much worse than the former.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #467 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by daouda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, that's interesting, let me remind you that i havent listened to a lot of IEMs and the only "harsh" ones i've heard so far are the hippo VB, so i already suspected i was asking something that might not make sense.
Actually "fatiguing" would seem to be quite a subjective attribute and varying too much among individuals, "absolute treble quantity/energy" probably wouldnt not mean much independently of "harshness/smoothness" and the rest of the sonic range presentation, and a ranking in terms of "treble forwardness" compared to the rest of the spectrum but independently of the treble quality wouldnt be of much help either.... Not too mention quite a lot of useless A/Bing work for you so..... Nevermind! And thanks for trying!

Once upon a time, ATH earphones and headphones were well known for their harsh trebles. I expected more or less the same when I bought CK100, but ironically it turns out to have the smoothest sound among all IEMs I have heard.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #468 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CK100 is certainly colored, but the peak of Ortofon e-Q7 in the mids makes it sound a bit coarse at times, very much like the SE530's mids but to a smaller extent. Depending on taste, I know many would like it and would call it "natural". For me the mids in terms of vocal are way too loud and coarse to my liking. To me the sound in the vocal is sometimes too bright and lacks "wetness". That peak, however, has contributed to the clearness of sound of many instruments in that range, e.g. guitar, upper bass, and hence its instrument positioning and separation is unbeatable.

The bass of e-Q7 is tight and certainly has more impact than CK100's bass (both are deep though), and instrument separation and horizontal soundstage on the e-Q7 is the best I have heard so far, even better than TF10 Pro.

How long did you burn in your e-Q7 for?

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #469 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long did you burn in your e-Q7 for?

I tried it out of the box and at 100+ hours. Close to 200 hours now. I will give it a second try at 300+ hours, otherwise I won't be able to notice the difference if I listen to it all the time.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #470 of 882
Quote:

Well, I think that one has to actually try an IEM to know for sure whether it will fit his ears or not, so warning people about potential fit issues only stirs them away from buying and trying and that's not a good thing. Sure, those who will have fit problems might complain that those who suggested the IEMs to them did not warn them, but then those who end up getting a good fit and great sound will be thankful that nobody scared them with fit issues possibly preventing them from missing out on the great sound. Now, those who end up being unable to get a good fit can just return or sell the IEMs and get something else, but those who were scared away from buying the IEMs may never try what could possibly be their perfect IEM. And I think the latter case is much worse than the former.

Another good point, buy and try is really the only surefire way to find out. But nothing wrong with having as much data as possible before making a decision. Just returning or selling IEMs, however, is much easier for some of us (me, for sure) than others.

But to your point, I know if I had come to the thread and read about the CK10, not having read about them elsewhere, I might have bypassed them. But I am definitely a doubting Thomas, and need to hear IEMs for myself. My track record of buy and try speaks for itself on that front. But to some, that process is not an option, so knowing the potential upside and downside is just more info to factor into the decision. Sometimes, it gets out of hand and people just need to buy them. On that, I agree.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #471 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another good point, buy and try is really the only surefire way to find out. But nothing wrong with having as much data as possible before making a decision. Just returning or selling IEMs, however, is much easier for some of us (me, for sure) than others.

But to your point, I know if I had come to the thread and read about the CK10, not having read about them elsewhere, I might have bypassed them. But I am definitely a doubting Thomas, and need to hear IEMs for myself. My track record of buy and try speaks for itself on that front. But to some, that process is not an option, so knowing the potential upside and downside is just more info to factor into the decision. Sometimes, it gets out of hand and people just need to buy them. On that, I agree.

Well, yeah you have a point there. But if one warns people about potential fit issues with one IEM, he should also do so regarding every other IEMs, because people can have fit issues with any IEM - our ears are just so different. If one thus keeps on warning people about fit issue in every IEM recommendation post, that will just be a real pain in the arse. I will have to for example, say that "Q-jays are great for pop and rock in their price range, but you may have fit issues with them, if you got large ears or hmm... high earwax buildup so they will keep on sliding out of your ear. Also, if you got narrow canals, they may create pressure with certain large or medium tips depending on whether your ear canal opening is medium or large in size... Oh yeah and in the winter the tips may harden and it will become more difficult to insert the IEM in your ear, but that depend on temperature. If it's below -5 degrees then..." Etc, etc, etc.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #472 of 882
Pianist,

I agree, IEM's are based on personal taste because there are so many factors, I'm far more picky with IEMs than with normal headphones.

Googleli,

I hear ya, I regret getting the CK100's based on the recommendations here plus impulse buying without having to try them out first. Its nearly impossible to try out the Japanese exclusive stuff though unless you live here.
I'm curious as to how the burn-in changes the SQ, keep us updated
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: My 100th post, Finally!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #473 of 882
I would think you should only point out the fit issue when there is a fit issue to begin with. If not, there is no need to rise the alarm. After all, fit is an universal issue to all IEM user with every single pair of universal IEM out there.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #474 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnyhifi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pianist,

I agree, IEM's are based on personal taste because there are so many factors, I'm far more picky with IEMs than with normal headphones.

Googleli,

I hear ya, I regret getting the CK100's based on the recommendations here plus impulse buying without having to try them out first. Its nearly impossible to try out the Japanese exclusive stuff though unless you live here.
I'm curious as to how the burn-in changes the SQ, keep us updated
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: My 100th post, Finally!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

You mean CK100 or EQ7?
tongue_smile.gif
I use the STS Kharma burn in CD and it speeds up the burn-in considerably and does burn in you gear more completely. I believe the eQ7 is capable of better sound, let's just see how it goes after 300 hours
darthsmile.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #475 of 882
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think you should only point out the fit issue when there is a fit issue to begin with. If not, there is no need to rise the alarm. After all, fit is an universal issue to all IEM user with every single pair of universal IEM out there.

Yeah, but I think many people do not realize that they may experience a fit issue with any IEM they buy and so chances are that they will choose an IEM for which they did not find any reviews/comments with fit issue info in them, then that for which people are warning about potential fit issues.

Quote:

You mean CK100 or EQ7?
tongue_smile.gif
I use the STS Kharma burn in CD and it speeds up the burn-in considerably and does burn in you gear more completely. I believe the eQ7 is capable of better sound, let's just see how it goes after 300 hours
darthsmile.gif

Better or more to your taste?
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #476 of 882
Quote:

Yeah, but I think many people do not realize that they may experience a fit issue with any IEM they buy and so chances are that they will choose an IEM for which they did not find any reviews/comments with fit issue info in them, then that for which people are warning about potential fit issues.

Interestingly I don't find the eQ-7 has any fit issue. The big tips just fit my ears perfectly. Did have a bit trouble fitting the eartip onto the eQ-7 though. e-Q7 has this bump thingy on the end that makes it a bit harder to fit the eartips onto it than other IEMs, but it makes the eartip more secured to the phones.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #477 of 882
Quote:

Interestingly I don't find the eQ-7 has any fit issue. The big tips just fit my ears perfectly. Did have a bit trouble fitting the eartip onto the eQ-7 though. e-Q7 has this bump thingy on the end that makes it a bit harder to fit the eartips onto it than other IEMs, but it makes the eartip more secured to the phones.

That's the problem - everyone's different.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #478 of 882
Quote:

Better or more to your taste?
wink.gif

Right now I really have nothing to complain about the eQ-7 except the brighter mids. I read somewhere that the coarseness would go away with burn-in. If that is the case then eQ-7 is certainly a good compliment to my collection. I don't expect it can be as smooth as CK100 in the highs even after burn in, but its soundstage and instrument separation is impressive, even before burn-in.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #479 of 882
Quote:

Right now I really have nothing to complain about the eQ-7 except the brighter mids. I read somewhere that the coarseness would go away with burn-in. If that is the case then eQ-7 is certainly a good compliment to my collection.

Actually I notice that coarsness you are talking about too, but I can't say that it's a flaw. Rather, it's just seems to be a part of the unique voicing of the e-Q7. It definitely works better for some music than other, although due to even tonality (except for the peak at 5-6 kHz) and good extension, especially in the bass, the e-Q7 can technically handle all types of music well.

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #480 of 882
Quote:

Well, yeah you have a point there. But if one warns people about potential fit issues with one IEM, he should also do so regarding every other IEMs, because people can have fit issues with any IEM - our ears are just so different. If one thus keeps on warning people about fit issue in every IEM recommendation post, that will just be a real pain in the arse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Interestingly I don't find the eQ-7 has any fit issue. The big tips just fit my ears perfectly.

Really, I'm at a loss for words about these replies. Did you people even care to read up about the fit issue? It is very specific to narrow ear canals. And it is also very easy to find out beforehand, if you're likely to have fit problems. There are at least three or four head-fiers who've had severe fit problems. Does this justify a warning? I don't know, it was just a kind request, out of concern for our fellow members. You decide...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back