Impressions Meet @ Hans from Qables 16-03-08
Mar 16, 2008 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Contrastique

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=large]Impressions: Netherlands Meet @ Qables 16-03-08[/size]

First of all, a big thanx to Hans for organizing this great day! The food was great, everything was available as in lots of it! The room was set-up real well, enough tables and the practical like. It even got an outside where the die-hard addicts could smoke
tongue.gif

Really wel done and I enjoyed it very much. Already looking forward to the next one as this one went very fast. It was over before I knew it !

My impressions will come gradually as I'm really tired now, I'll start with the pics. They're not all made by me, my bf shot some of them as well.

nr3550vc9.jpg

nr3551ri8.jpg

nr3552pz6.jpg

The iQube:
nr3554kb8.jpg

nr3557xo5.jpg

nr3555zg6.jpg

nr3560al0.jpg

nr3561xx7.jpg

Sorry Rik for the cable in front of your face, no offense :wink:
nr3562iw6.jpg

Lovely:
nr3564lu2.jpg

Life through headphones:
nr3569ly8.jpg

Life through Blow-Up Beyers:
nr3570pe7.jpg

nr3572dn7.jpg

nr3576lu8.jpg

Absolutely part of the rig that completely blew me away. What a bloody nice set-up that was (not visible on this pic though..)
nr3577zz3.jpg

My first encounter with Ergos. As you can see I liked them a whole lot.
nr3588km3.jpg

The rest of the rig I was talking about:
nr3591rb0.jpg

Table of Dex:
nr3590sy1.jpg

Enoyins set-up:
nr3592kj6.jpg

nr3594tp0.jpg

nr3598ys0.jpg

nr3575jh8.jpg

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 94
Definitely a huge thanks to Hans, who let us run rampage in his beautiful store with lots of very nice equipment. Great stuff. The food was also very nice.

I'm rebuilding my system here (one of the less fun parts of meets
smily_headphones1.gif
), after that I might drop some impressions (though the only new things were the Beyer ET1000 and the Stax Lambda Nova). I can say this though: If I were to get back into headphones in a serious sense, it would be either the K1000 or the dynamic Ergo 2. That thing, like the dynamic Float, is just a very fine headphone. The dynamic Float blew my mind during the Dusseldorf meet, and the Ergo 2 blew me away today. Great stuff indeed.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 94
Thanks Hans for being a great host.
I really enjoyed the people, headphones, food and hospitality.
What an amazing collection of great equipment you have in your store.
I have been drooling all afternoon.
Rob

Head-Fi-01.jpg

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 94
Hi Guys and gals,

Thanks for the nice words, it was great to host you all. I was very afraid we would have too little room, the first two came in and starting unpacking and scared the hell out of me. Jesus In thought, if they all have as much I need 3 halls like this
smily_headphones1.gif

But as always it all went in smoothly. Thanks for the Duvel, brownies and cake. That was a very nice addition.

Glad you all enjoyed the equipment and music, that is why we are doing this after all, right?

I will not post pics because I am a horrible photographer
eek.gif

Hans.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 94
You are very welcome, Hans. You did a great job handling all this loons at your place haha! Awesome day!

I'll start with an impression on the Ultrasone HFI-780. I posted this on another forum as well, and since I'm too tired rewriting it you'll have to do with this:

The impressions will be kept somewhat short because of that but I listened to the 780's today and....I don't like them at all. I don't understand the hype about them after listening to them.
The bass is simply toooooo much. The highs feel more pronounced (didn't think that was possible after hearing many people complaining about the Proline-highs, but it is) and at times they even hurt my ears. The headphones were fully burned in, like had 500hrs on them so that's not the problem. I listened to them via the Larocco and Ipod.

The music I listened to was Talkie Walkie from Air, some stuff from Pleymo to check out how they handle the metal-part and to see how they would cope with more 'busy' music. I also listened to Pink Floyd.

With Air, the song was Alone in Kyoto for example, it sounded not too bad except for the bass. Compared to the Proline 750's they are less transparant, have more pronounced mids and highs and because of that I think it's more difficult to listen to each part in the music seperately which is something I really like about the 750's. (I don't know if it's because of that, I'm not knowlegable enough to describe it properly I guess).

I decided to feed them Pleymo which is really heavy stuff, with lots of different things in it to see how they would handle it. Disgusting. The bass went real low but it sounded muddy and absolutely awfull. Way too much there. You have a certain string in one song which was so piercing they hurt my ears. They have absolutely no control when it gets heavier in the music. The 750's are much calmer to listen to and you can focus on everything seperately without losing harmony. Their bass is not bloated and stays very controlled whatever you throw at them. Yes, I am a 750 fangirl, simply because I like them. If you find the 750's to bright or not like fun and because of that you wanna hear/have the 780's please look into the Proline 650's. Much more pleasant to the ears.

I also don't understand why they are being compared with the ED9's, they are totally different animals. Qua presentation of sound, control and transparancy the Prolines resemble them way more.

Oh, one good thing about them, they were really comfy!

P.S. please forgive my noobish way of descibing my impressions, but I hope they make sense and you can catch my drift.

I am still looking forward to your review, Dex, as you are more capable of describing what you hear in a proper way and I'm interested how you feel about them compared to your other Ultrasones. I feel like I have been bashing the 780's which is not the intend but I was really dissapointed with them after all the raving going on here.

That's about it for now I guess. I'll slowly work on the rest.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 94
some more pictures of ...

stuff
Head-Fi-02.jpg

stuff
Head-Fi-03.jpg

you did like the Ergos
Head-Fi-04.jpg

more stuff
Head-Fi-05.jpg

top of my list at the moment
Head-Fi-06.jpg

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 94
Well I had a great day, wonderful phones, wonderful host, very nice people.
Hans thank you for organizing this thing!
I'm glad the people liked my setup and my Duvel
biggrin.gif

And why am i sitting in the same pose in every single pic?
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 94
Looks cool guys/grls, very nice, but only one short HF780 impression
confused.gif

I give you like one day extra and no more, so come on and write some
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 94
Stax SRM-T1S & Stax Lambda Nova Signature = wow! Best set-up I have heard in a while. I was really impressed by these. Very detailed, didn't lack impact and sounded very controlled. They were really comfortable as well. Too bad they're open for me or I might have even considered them, really awesome stuff and thanx for sharing!

Riks PMB-500 was amusing to listen to. It sounded quite canny and I suppose you can get used to that. They lacked the bottom end and impact but the voices sounded really pretty with them.

The Ergos....lovely as well!
I don't remember which I wore most, I believe the mod2. The other one was heavier and felt not really comfortable on my head.
But the one I listened to, my god, I liked it a lot. Lacked impact for me when listening to drumsessions and the like, but with, for example, Erik Claptons Stairway to Heaven, wow, really good smooth warm touch to it. I think they work really well with acoustic stuff although with electronic music they wouldn't be for me I guess.

Ow, I almost forgot...the iQube!
So far, best portable amp I've heard except for the Larocco (luckily for my wallet
biggrin.gif
). Very neutral, very detailed and smooth, combine that with long battery-life and you have an absolute great amp here.
Sounds very spacious and has an enjoyable sound.
It looks and feels great as well. I was surprised by this little one. It lacks impact and speed but it's being powered by 4 AAA batteries so. Because of that I still prefer my Larocco although they drain the batteries like a madman haha!

A big thanx to the representative from Ultrasone as well, for taking my broken 750's with him and fixing it more rapidly than I could have ever dreamt of. Hopefully they'll be back by tuesday / wednesday and that's really fast. They even helped me out while I lost my official receipt of the purchase, and that's being really appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 94
What the hell, this is a heresy!!!!

Our first lady of Ultrasonia in one corner alone, completelly ignored there, and all you guys wondering around looking and auditioning gear only, not doubt that you need more testosterone there, honey...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I promise that here if you ever cross the ocean, I will take good care of you Indra, you will not be alone for a minute...in the meeting at least...Good wine or Gentleman's Jack will be on me as well...
wink.gif

Head-Fi-01.jpg

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #13 of 94
Hahaha! Ummm.. you'll be in line behind me!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the hell, this is a heresy!!!!

Our first lady of Ultrasonia in one corner alone, completelly ignored there, and all you guys wondering around looking and auditioning gear only, not doubt that you need more testosterone there, honey...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I promise that here if you ever cross the ocean, I will take good care of you Indra, you will not be alone for a minute...in the meeting at least...Good wine or Gentleman's Jack will be on me as well...
wink.gif

Head-Fi-01.jpg

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahaha! Ummm.. you'll be in line behind me!
tongue.gif

Don't be so sure of that, OK?....
rolleyes.gif

And behave like a gentleman, at least let her decide, OK?....
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 94
Looked to be an excellent meet guys (I should hop on a plane to one of these one day). To whom does the Ergo AMT belong? What amp was it being used with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back