Impressions - HeadAmp GS-X
Jun 23, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #61 of 67
next ny meet. apache v. gs-x.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #63 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UPDATED IMPRESSIONS - 300 HOURS

The GS-X continues to amaze. I've never been in this much awe of an amp before - it's revelatory what it's able to do. So much micro-detail, so much raw resolution. Its soundstage makes it feel like it's creating a black canvas instead of merely painting it.

The rare opportunity to have two high-end CDPs in my system, the Audio Aero Prima and the Arcam FMJ CD33 is truly enlightening. It's like having the best of the solid-state sound versus a kind of "hybrid" sound. I think I said before I didn't think the pairing with the Arcam was good. I take that back, the pairing with the Arcam is astounding. It's like the ultra definition of what's solid-statey, there's just so much information it's picking up and the GS-X is getting it all. Really euphonic for me, I love hearing everything on the CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

And with the Prima, there's a different kind of sound, on the verge of being "hybrid-y" instead of outright tubey (the Prima uses a sub-miniature tube in its analog output stage). The GS-X throws a deeper, warmer sound with the Prima with so much focus it's eerie. The vitality behind the musical performance is just like a tube amp's.

And finally, since I have XLR interconnects I've been alternating the GS-X between its XLR and RCA inputs with the Prima. It's a great experiment, since the interconnect wires are fundamentally the same (Signal Cable's 5N all-silver wire used in the Silver Res Analog and Silver Res Balanced, only difference being the connectors). I have no idea how the signal traverses inside the amp between the XLR and RCA switches so that I can still use my single-ended headphones, but even without balanced headphones there is still a definite improvement in the amp's balanced operation. The mere act of flipping to XLR from RCA widens the soundstage by at least 150%, it's so obvious you can tell right away. The placement of individual instruments or voices has so much more focus too - and I thought there was already a huge amount of focus, but there's even more with the XLR operation!

I can't wait until all three of my main headphones are balanced, even single-ended all three show significant improvements merely routing the amp on XLR with my XLR interconnects!

Damn..

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. I'd like to hear the differences between GSX & my DAC1 balanced.. Or maybe I shouldn't.. If theres a huge improvement I don't know what I'll do..
mad.gif
Hopefully I make Julys meet & find out..Maybe I should set my expectations too high just incase..
cool.gif

I wonder how feeding the balanced output of the DAC1 into the GS-X (balanced of course) would sound? I suspect this should be quite good since I'm already very impressed at how well my new DAC1-USB works with my GS-1 in standard single-ended mode with my K701s. The DAC1-USB is an amazing DAC and I'm bowled over at how synergistic it seems to be with the GS-1 and K701s. At this point, I'm enjoying this combo so much that I've temorarily dampened any urge to upgrade -- but then again, if the GS-X really does move things to even a higher level, I may need to reconsider.
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #65 of 67
Yahoo! My GS-X finally arrived. It has been playing all day to warm up. I have to say it sounds good even new and cold. I am running XLR's (Nordost Valhalla) in from my Esoteric P-03/D-03 and using XLR Cardas cables to my HD-650's. I can't wait to get it burned in and share some impressions.

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #66 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yahoo! My GS-X finally arrived. It has been playing all day to warm up. I have to say it sounds good even new and cold. I am running XLR's (Nordost Valhalla) in from my Esoteric P-03/D-03 and using XLR Cardas cables to my HD-650's. I can't wait to get it burned in and share some impressions.

damn! that is some seriuous gear you got going there.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #67 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson3024 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

my jaw had dropped.... that must sound.... wow....
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back