[Impression] FiiO E10
Jan 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #811 of 1,324
The only reason I can think of is that perhaps the D3 has slightly higher quality output (with no USB input).  So the E10 would just be used as a USB converter.  According to the manual, it's an output, not an input, and it outputs a digital signal for the D3 to convert.  I'm not sure why you'd want to do that though since the D3 probably isn't much better as a DAC than the E10 and there are plenty of 3.5mm to RCA adapters on the market, so you don't need the RCA outputs on the D3.

Edit: I suppose it could be used to give yourself a third output from the E10, but with no way to switch between the outputs, it seems a bit pointless.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #812 of 1,324

Quote:
Apologies - I've read this again and can see that it doesn't make sense:

"What is the difference between Output Stereo PCM Digital Audio (E10) and the output from a Coaxial decoder (D3)?"

I should have asked: "What is the difference between the analogue audio output (Line Out) from the E10 and the analogue audio output from the D3?"

Why would I want to not use the analogue audio output from the E10? In what circumstances would I need to take the digital output from the E10 and pass it to the D3 for decoding?

Until I read the note in the Fiio E10 instruction leaflet (suggesting that the E10 coaxial RCA digital output be connected to the D3) I had assumed that the E10 coaxial RCA digital output was intended for connection to an AVR receiver with digital input capability/connections.

The coaxial output of the E10 allows it to connected to any DAC that has coaxial inputs.  They're quite a few DAC that don't have usb inputs(the D3 for example).  So, the coaxial output of the E10, allows users to use the E10 as a usb digital transport to another source or DAC.  PC- via usb - E10- via coaxial - another higher-end DAC

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #813 of 1,324

Quote:
The coaxial output of the E10 allows it to connected to any DAC that has coaxial inputs.  They're quite a few DAC that don't have usb inputs(the D3 for example).  So, the coaxial output of the E10, allows users to use the E10 as a usb digital transport to another source or DAC.  PC- via usb - E10- via coaxial - another higher-end DAC

Seems alike a bit of a waste to get the E10 just as a USB transport though.  I'm sure there are less expensive ones out there, or higher quality options for a similar price.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #814 of 1,324
Thanks for the replies.

I can see the point of connecting the E10 digital coax output to a higher-end DAC that does not have USB capability.

If the D3 is no better a DAC than the E10 I can't really see the point of the suggestion in the Fiio instruction leaflet (E10 coax digital output to D3 digital input for decoding).

Gaining a third output from the E10 is maybe the point of the suggestion, but as you have said, without no means of switching it does seem a bit pointless.

Thanks again.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #815 of 1,324

Quote:
Do you hear the buzzing when music is stopped? E10, by design, will go into 'silence mode' when it doesn't receive any data stream from the PC. So when there is no music playing, it should be really quiet. If you heard buzzing, I would imagine it could be a bad case of dirty USB (power from USB port is high in EMI or ripple, which isn't that uncommon on laptop because of their size). You should try the E10 on another PC and difference USB port to see you can still hear buzzing or not.

I have this problem with my current external sound card (Creative USB X-Fi 5.1), and was hoping it was the card's problem and that an E10 wouldn't have that.
Since it probably won't help then, what are my choices? I guess i have to look for a DAC/Amp with it's own power supply?

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #816 of 1,324
I have this problem with my current external sound card (Creative USB X-Fi 5.1), and was hoping it was the card's problem and that an E10 wouldn't have that.
Since it probably won't help then, what are my choices? I guess i have to look for a DAC/Amp with it's own power supply?

You might want to try an USB isolator first. A barebone (no casing) one can be bought on eBay for $35, but you need to supply your own casing and power supply.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #817 of 1,324
Oh, that's interesting. If i get that i probably wouldn't need to change DAC, then. Thanks :)

For the sake of simplicity, though, are there any 'all-in-one packages' i can get? I was hoping to keep my setup portable, so that i can just have a DAC velcro'd to the back of my laptop's screen. If i get this i'm starting to have a mess of cables and it won't be worth the trouble taking it on trips.

If not, i guess i'll just go for the first option.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #818 of 1,324
There are a few more expensive option (>$50) that has everything included, just google USB Isolator and you will find them.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #819 of 1,324
Oh sorry, i meant like a DAC that would work off it's own battery even if it's plugged into a computer, or even with an isolator built in.

...Perhaps i should start a new thread. This is all pretty off topic.

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #820 of 1,324
Oh sorry, i meant like a DAC that would work off it's own battery even if it's plugged into a computer, or even with an isolator built in.

...Perhaps i should start a new thread. This is all pretty off topic.

I don't know USB DAC with isolator built in, but some USB DAC that works on battery are: FiiO E7, iBasso D-zero, and FiiO E17 (by order of SQ from least to best)

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #823 of 1,324
Hello..
first post here.
I have gotten myself into audiophile headphones recently after initially starting out my obsession with downloading music in FLAC.
After looking through a bunch of reviews on different DAC/Amps on this site, I have decided to go with the e10. (I have the HD598)
While the e10 has yet to arrive, I was just wondering once I have it connected to my computer what settings I should have it at.
I figure the best would be to turn the bass boost switch OFF and keep the gain control switch OFF as well.
I am looking through the PDF manual of the e10 from Fiio's site and was wondering what kind of settings (if any) I need to fiddle with once it has been connected to my computer other than selecting the output as the fiio device . On their manual, I see a screenshot with buffer length / output data format adjustments. Would I need to adjust any of those at all or just leave it the way it is? Also, would one use the volume controller on the fiio e10 to adjust volume or the computer settings? If it is best to adjust from the computer, what should I leave the volume at on the e10 or if it's the other way around what should the volume be on the computer? Sorry with all the questions. I have not even received the e10 yet but I am just so eager haha.
Lastly.. I noticed this has a line out on the back which I am assuming I could use to connect my crappy logitech computer speakers into? Would it be ok to leave it in there at all times even when I am listening through my headphones?

Thanks a lot.

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #824 of 1,324

Quote:
Hello..
first post here.
I have gotten myself into audiophile headphones recently after initially starting out my obsession with downloading music in FLAC.
After looking through a bunch of reviews on different DAC/Amps on this site, I have decided to go with the e10. (I have the HD598)
While the e10 has yet to arrive, I was just wondering once I have it connected to my computer what settings I should have it at.
I figure the best would be to turn the bass boost switch OFF and keep the gain control switch OFF as well.
I am looking through the PDF manual of the e10 from Fiio's site and was wondering what kind of settings (if any) I need to fiddle with once it has been connected to my computer other than selecting the output as the fiio device . On their manual, I see a screenshot with buffer length / output data format adjustments. Would I need to adjust any of those at all or just leave it the way it is? Also, would one use the volume controller on the fiio e10 to adjust volume or the computer settings? If it is best to adjust from the computer, what should I leave the volume at on the e10 or if it's the other way around what should the volume be on the computer? Sorry with all the questions. I have not even received the e10 yet but I am just so eager haha.
Lastly.. I noticed this has a line out on the back which I am assuming I could use to connect my crappy logitech computer speakers into? Would it be ok to leave it in there at all times even when I am listening through my headphones?

Thanks a lot.

Yep, you should keep the gain on low for the HD598s (it's low or high, not off or on).  Bass boost is up you you - you can switch it off and on whenever.

The only computer setting I changed was the audio quality - I set it to 24/96 from the default 16/44.  This is done in the device properties (open your sound devices window, select the E10 and hit Properties, it's in the Advanced Options section).  You can leave it the way it is if you want, but it does make everything sound a tiny bit better if you use the higher quality settings.

You'll want to max out the volume on your PC and adjust the volume with the E10.  Only situation where you wouldn't is if you're hearing a channel imbalance because you can't turn the volume knob high enough - then just lower the PC volume to 1/2 or 3/4 and do the same as before.

Yes, your Logitech speakers can be plugged into the line-out jack at all times.  They'll always have signal going to them though (there's no way to switch between outputs), so you'll have to turn them off if you don't want them making noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back