[Impression] FiiO E10
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #166 of 1,324
I might be able to test on a different computer tomorrow and post an update. Though it won't do me a lot of good if I planned on using this with my daily PC. I think the in-ear phones might be too sensitive, but I wonder what's causing the interference. It's on a notebook, and I've tested without anything else plugged in.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #167 of 1,324

Quote:
I might be able to test on a different computer tomorrow and post an update. Though it won't do me a lot of good if I planned on using this with my daily PC. I think the in-ear phones might be too sensitive, but I wonder what's causing the interference. It's on a notebook, and I've tested without anything else plugged in.

Might also try all the different USB port as well as a self-powered USB hub if you have one.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #168 of 1,324

Quote:
Did that just the other day. D3 is surprisingly clean sounding though I still prefer E10's more powerful bass punch. 
More likely you have dirty USB power. It is not uncommon for PC internal noise to carry from the USB port to the DAC, especially on smaller DAC that don't have a lot of room to do power filtering. All you need to check is to try different USB port and different PC to see if the same problem is repeatable or not.

I'm still new to this, but I thought the external DAC reduced the presence of the internal noise (buzzes, loud hisses). From reading over some of the caveats of using the usb dac, one that stood out was that interference from the other cords/hubs is a source of unwanted electronic noise, but this wasn't to be too much of an issue if you connected directly to the PC/didn't have any cords directly nearby.

Though I don't have another computer, I did test hub and non-hub ports and got the same vibrating hiss feedback.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #169 of 1,324
Mine is repeatable on multiple computers, usb ports, hubs, etc.  Most notably, if I plug the E10 in and turn the volume pot all the way up (with nothing playing obviously), I hear a buzzing noise in the left channel.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #170 of 1,324

Quote:

I'm still new to this, but I thought the external DAC reduced the presence of the internal noise (buzzes, loud hisses). From reading over some of the caveats of using the usb dac, one that stood out was that interference from the other cords/hubs is a source of unwanted electronic noise, but this wasn't to be too much of an issue if you connected directly to the PC/didn't have any cords directly nearby.

Though I don't have another computer, I did test hub and non-hub ports and got the same vibrating hiss feedback.

That's assuming the USB power doesn't carry the noise to the DAC or the DAC has a good power filter to took care of any noise. Unfortunately most USB port has noise of its own and even USB hub can be a problem (old generation of USB hub have really good power filter section but small USB hub these days don't). A lot of the time it really depends on the PC manufacturer and some of them can be really noisy. That is why expensive USB DAC like the DACport has an power section built-in to isolation the power from the USB port before sending it into the DAC.

Oh, btw, also try a different USB cable.

Quote:
Mine is repeatable on multiple computers, usb ports, hubs, etc.  Most notably, if I plug the E10 in and turn the volume pot all the way up (with nothing playing obviously), I hear a buzzing noise in the left channel.

I just tested mine and doesn't find any noise or hiss on high gain / full volume. Maybe you did get a lemon and you might what to check the issue out with the dealer and see if you can get a replacement.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #171 of 1,324
I just tested the same music files on my brother's computer....same little noise when I switch songs in itunes.  other than that, nothing wrong.

I do notice more buzzing when I have it on high gain. but that's normal I guess.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #173 of 1,324
Have any of you guys noticed any sound quality differences with more expensive usb cables? With my old e7/e9 combo for example, even a 10 dollar belkin USB cable removed some veil from the sound. I'm guessing it would be the same thing with the e10 but before I buy an extra cable, I'd like to hear from any of you with firsthand experience if this is the case. I guess if this was an async dac, the usb cord wouldn't matter as much.

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #174 of 1,324
I've only tried the usb cable that came with my phone since it's already wrapped nicely and doesn't have much distance to the dac from usb. I personally don't find any difference in cable but this is also a $80 product :p

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #178 of 1,324
I don't own the Audinst anymore but I would easily take the Audinst over the E10 but it is more expensive, bigger and also can be powered by something other than usb.

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #179 of 1,324
I eliminated the buzz/hissing I was getting with the volume pot turned all the way up by going into Mac OS X "Audio MIDI Setup", and making sure the format was 96000.0 Hz, and 2ch-24bit Integer.  

I've also noticed I get much better results using Fidelia as opposed to Amarra.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #180 of 1,324
Quote:
I eliminated the buzz/hissing I was getting with the volume pot turned all the way up by going into Mac OS X "Audio MIDI Setup", and making sure the format was 96000.0 Hz, and 2ch-24bit Integer.  

I've also noticed I get much better results using Fidelia as opposed to Amarra.

This helped, thank you. Now I don't get that buzz/hiss until I hit 5/8 on the pot, which is more of what I expected from the amp. This didn't eliminate the noise on the IEMs, but it's impossible to hear on the sr80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back