Important TT decision to make. Help appreciated.
Dec 11, 2003 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

marios_mar

Headphoneus Supremus
ok i really need to make a decision here.

I got a Thorens TD-150 (like the TD-160 and Linn12) and its motor is half dead.

I cant fix the motor since the motor shaft is broken and I cant find another one same length. And also I think the motor still lacks torque for some reason I dont know.

I have two options.

1.Buy a replacement motor for under 100 EURO and make it like new (because otherwise the turntable is in good condition).
But the problem here is that I cannot find any motor for a TT under 100 EUROS. Anyone have ideas? Would it be easy to fit non-thorens motor to have it spin the platter at exactly 33.33 rpm?

2.Buy a a Sumiko Pro-ject 1.2 for aroun 280 EURO or a SUMIKO expression for around 340 (maybe its a bit out of my budget)

I could go for option No.2 a bit later when I get the money but I seriously doubt that those projects can perform as good as my suspended chassis vintage Thorens. Anyone think different? Please tell why you think that if you do. Anyone has both a new and a bint Thorens?

BTW theres no way Im buying a used TT. Out of the question. My friend got a Thorens TD-125 via mail and the repair now might cost like 150 EURO when he bought it for 200!

Dec 11, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

also would the S/N ratio on a newer TT like the project be higher than that of a 70s thorens?

almost certainly not. S/N measurements on turntables are mainly crap anyway.

Dec 11, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd get a new TT, unless you actually enjoy working on it. But it might be very hard to find an appropriate NEW motor anyway?

Dec 12, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 7
I found a new TT motor. But instead of the 375 RPM that the original thorens operates it has 250 RPM. I need a new pulley. But I dont know how to design the pulley, (the original is more like a barrel than like a cylinder) and I dont know what belt drive ill be needing etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back