impedance adapters
Feb 13, 2008 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

soul05

100+ Head-Fier
i was wondering how people made their impedance adapters, im a total diy noob and i couldnt find anything about it using search. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 4
I've made a couple, one with the resistors in the middle of the small extension, and then this one with the resistors integrated into the plug. It looks neater and avoids another solder point. I also want to make one that's just a short adapter, no cable. That's my next project.

This one's a 22 ohm adapter, just enough resistance to silence the hiss found on nearly all DAPs using sensitive iems.

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

Happy soldering!

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 4
thanks, for the pictures, they are very helpful

Feb 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by soul05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was wondering how people made their impedance adapters, im a total diy noob and i couldnt find anything about it using search. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

Impedance adapters are usually referred to as a "balun," for balanced/unbalanced. They're also commonly used to adapt radio antennas for maximum power transmission.

If you'd like to read up on there, the balun Wiki is a good place to start:

Balun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also find a lot of material on calculating and building these from the ARRL, RSGB, and various amateur radio sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back