Impedance Adapters/Cables | Explained & Listed
Jun 26, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #136 of 157
  reviving this thread....  if I have a headphone amp with a 5 ohm output impedance, but I would like it to have a 4 ohm output impedance so it works with 32 ohm headphones (8x), which on-the-market product would I buy?
the headphone amp has a 1/4" female jack, and the headphones have a 3.5mm male plug.

thanks

Based on my previous experience buying the wrong impedance adapter (my previous post is still on this same page, I think), I don't think there are any available commercial impedance "stepping down" adapters available.

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #137 of 157
Hi,

I read the whole thread but am no technician and sometimes I couldn't follow the math ...

Anyway, my problem is not a big one as my BossHifi B8 over-ear HPs (impedance 16 Ohms, sensitivity 106 dB) sound very good directly from the HP out of my Nokia N8 phone. But I also bought a refurb FiiO E7 for its built-in DAC and extra power. With some low-volume recordings (e.g. old digitized LPs) I have to open up the phone's volume all the way which results in a somewhat wooly bass. Hiss is no problem, all the hiss comes from the tapes of the recordings.

When I connect my FiiO as DAC via micro USB I can listen very loud but the dynamics are notably less, dynamic recordings sound compressed that way. The output impedance of the E7 is only 0.13 Ohm. FiiO states it can drive HPs from 16 to 300 Ohms but the 16 Ohms of my B8 are borderline.

Which solution would be the best for me listening through the FiiO? A 75 Ohm adapter plug? Or would a metal film resistor (which value?) in parallel with the HP be enough? The FiiO has loads of headroom for the B8 connected as DAC/amp. I'm not sure yet which DAC I prefer but it seems the Wolfson of the FiiO is slightly more revealing.

These are my HPs, I highly recommend them if you like over-ears:

Thanks for your input.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #138 of 157
I'm looking at some IEMs (Campfire Andromeda) that are very sensitive and apparently sound best with a source having around 3 to 4 ohms of output impedance. If I have an amp with near zero output impedance, is there an easy way to increase the 'effective' output impedance by just a few ohms?

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #140 of 157
Apparently they sound significantly darker / bassier with lower output impedance sources though? I prefer a brighter signature (my desktop headphones have been HD800 and HD800S) so I'm not sure that's for me but the Andromeda seems to tick every other box. The amp / DAC I'm looking at is the Mojo which apparently also hisses a bit with the Andromeda but again seems to otherwise fit the bill. That's why I'm looking at ways to increase effective output impedance.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #141 of 157
If you prefer a brighter earphone then buy one.imho.

Dont use adapters or EQ, find a earphone with a sound signature that you like.

I dont find the andromeda bassy or dark. (See my review) and no hiss with the CEntrance DACportable I just reviewed.

Regards
Expat

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #144 of 157
Any suggestions on a 20-30 ohm impedance adapter for my 64 audio ADEL A12's ro pair with Chord Mojo? A12's sound better with higher output impedance.

Oct 2, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #146 of 157
To revive this thread again, I have Amps that have 10 and 30 ohm output impedances.
I want to present a 240-300 ohm load to the 30 ohm output and a 100 ohm load to the 10ohm output in order to get the maximum out of the amp and have a "perceived" output impedance of 0-2 on my headphones (since some are 16-24 ohm).

Are there any commercial products for this? I see most of them are for lowering volume (increasing input impedance of headphones / increasing output impedance of amp).
I want to present the proper load for the correct performance and then step it down for my headphones.

I have the UE buffer jack and it certainly makes things quieter, but its really hard to tell if it does anything to details.
Honestly it doesn't sound much better with this plugged in, so I'm not sure what kind of adapter it is.

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #147 of 157
Is there any device that suits AR-M2 to pair up with sensitive iems?

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #149 of 157
So, there aren't any adapter in the market that reduces the output impedance of a AMP ?

If i use this:
75 150 200 Ohm Impedance Resistance 3.5mm Male To Female Adapter Conductor For JH24 HD25 ER4 Headphone Earphone Cable LN005495
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cO4jjrSp

They will low the output impedance or increase ? Or They will increase just the input impedance of the iem so i can use my iem in the amp?

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #150 of 157
I just bought this from ebay, and I think I got the wrong one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271320560060

What I'm trying to do, is to DECREASE the impedance of my sources, so that my very sensitive low-impedance IEMs (Angie, RE600S--both are 16 Ohm) will sound correct. Right now,Angie has significant lower volume in the 4KHz region and sounds hollow when plugged into my computers or headphone/speaker controller, but sounds much more neutral when plugged into my Galaxy Note 3.

I bought that adapter assuming it'll increase the impedance of the IEM, but I think it's actually the opposite, because when I used it on my Note 3, it had the same problem with the 4KHz region.

So I guess this means I'm SOOL and should just use amps with very low impedance instead (<1 Ohm)?

If they work like these it means that they are pretty much useless then, who in the hell would want a OI of 75ohm ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back