iMod (Red Audio), iPod touch 5.5 Gen and Grado sr80i
May 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FilipinoAko

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,
I just recently joined the forums and this is my first post but I have been a reader of the posts and threads. In fact, Head-Fi is the one that helped me decide to buy the Grado sr80i. 
Anyway, enough of that. 

I read about iMod from Red Audio and iPod. I am thinking of buying this because of the reviews and feedbacks posted here in the site.

I am quite unsure where to find what kind of portable amplifier to buy once I get my iPod modified. Will I also be noticing any difference with the SQ with my Grado? Or iMod is mostly for a much more high-end headphones?

Thanks!

May 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 5
imod is from mid 2005, even the red wine audio guys said he doesnt mod the more recent ipods because they dont need it. Old technology, old fixes.

Just buy the recent ipod touch 4G (apps such as sonicmaxpro,equ, equalizer, flacplayer) or ipod classic If you want to upgrade.
The 5th Gen ipod has less high end treble than the more recent ipods-warmer.

If you want to get a clear signal out and have cash to spare get the Fostex hp_p1(not compatible with 5th gen ipods).

If you decide to get a portable amp (instead of the fostex) you will also need a LOD, I myself wouldnt bother getting a sub $100 amp myself, because very soon you will want to upgrade.

The questions are why do you want an amp, more power?, more volume?, think you will get better sound?

May 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
imod is from mid 2005, even the red wine audio guys said he doesnt mod the more recent ipods because they dont need it. Old technology, old fixes.

Just buy the recent ipod touch 4G (apps such as sonicmaxpro,equ, equalizer, flacplayer) or ipod classic If you want to upgrade.

If you want to get a clear signal out and have cash to spare get the Fostex hp_p1(not compatible with 5th gen ipods).

If you decide to get a portable amp (instead of the fostex) you will also need a LOD, I myself wouldnt bother getting a sub $100 amp myself, because very soon you will want to upgrade.

The questions are why do you want an amp, more power?, more volume?, think you will get better sound?

Hi ExpatinJapan,
I just want the best quality sound that I can get from my Grado phones. I know it's not the high-end headphones that you guys have here but  as I have mentioned I am more into getting the best quality sound that I can get.

So I should just get the iPod Touch 4G then for a quality portable player for a better sound? I like to have more volume and if possible make the sound quality good. Thanks a lot for your advise.

May 28, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah, its a long tortured road of expense.

People talk about synergy, and its kind of true.

NOTE:I cant comment on your Grados as I have not heard that particular item.

My TF10s which have a V shaped sound signature pair well with my ipod 5th Gen and iphone 3G.
My 5th gen matches with my home system whereas my touch is too clinical.

My ATH-ESW9 and ATH-CK10 pairs well with the ipod touch 4G.

I think dark headphones+ light source ......and vice versa.

But everyones ears are different.

Do you have ipod 5th gen now?, does it all sound ok? If so you are all right.

***The only thing you can try is making your music files at least 320kbps or Lossless, that will make the main difference.  garbage in, garbage out.

-You can also Rockbox a 5th gen.

The good thing about ipod touch 4G is the apps Flacplayer, sonicmaxpro, EQu and equalizer.
Cowon J3 is also popular.

May 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

I thought the point of the iMod was to bypass Apple internals that were degrading the final signal out. Basically getting the most out of the Wolfson DAC found in the 5th gen iPods. I'd say that's a worthwhile endeavor for any iPod regardless of age. Something like the CLAS effectively accomplishes the same thing am I right? Bypassing the Apple internals and feeding the signal to a quality DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back