iMod Nano (56k warning)
Sep 27, 2005 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

drp

500+ Head-Fier
I had my 4 Gig Nano undergo Red Wine Audio's iMod, where the line-out is taken directly from the DAC chip. This bypasses a bunch of parts, cables, etc., making for a very clean output. It eliminates the need for a line out adaptor, such as a pocketdoc; makes for a smaller overall solution

I've been burning in the new Black Gate caps for a few days, but all initial indicators are that this modification is scary good. Last night, I was using it as a source (using Apple Lossless) to drive an Ear+ HD and Grado PS-1s (Zu Pivot with female collar as IC). No direct comparisons (yet) to my Apogee Mini-DAC, but this little source seems to be able to hold its own against many a higher-end source (IMHO, of course). It's not at all digital sounding; surprisingly analog sounding for that matter. Again, my impressions are preliminary, but I could not be more pleased with the results.

My version uses the optional "Pigtail" out where an incision is made in the side of the Nano and the line out is feed through with the coupling caps in line before the mini plug. The pigtail itself is still in a prototype stage (done quickly before the Denver show), meaning that it is completely unfinished. I'll post some before and after pics, but awaiting the Ray Samuels Hornet before any final, final cable dressing. This source and the Hornet promises to be a kick-butt little package.

If I understand correctly, the normal Nano mod will be to use the headphone jack as a new dedicated line out, with the coupling caps built into an interconnect cable. Having experienced the mod firsthand, I'd have no qualms about using the headphone out as a dedicated line out. This would be ultra clean looking.

Case closed, with 2X-S:
incase8an.jpg

With the KSC-35s
withksccardas1ye.jpg

Cable redressed, with some old cans I had lying around…. 8~)
withps15pj.jpg

Final Fantasy

Here are some shots of the iMod Nano on top of the Hornet, finally. Seems it's taken forever but it was so worth the wait. I lucked out and made the pigtail the exact length needed to center the Nano atop the Hornet. Sweet!

I'll be messing with ways to mount the Nano on the amp but must type that my portable system, with the HF-1, modified KSC-35s, and of course the outstanding Sensaphonics 2X-S is finally near completion. I'm a happy boy and really have to thank Head-Fi folks for steering me down the right (but financially challenging) path. Knowing what I know now with all the gear I have here, I'd do it all over again exactly the same way.

whornet14bz.jpg

whornet27wz.jpg

whornet36xd.jpg

Mo info: http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

Sep 27, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 53
Stay away from airport security
etysmile.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Looks like a bomb or something.

agreed, lol I wonder if you brought that in the aiport they would confiscate it?? actually and cmoy or the like. Lots of little switches...cool led's....must be a bomb

Sep 28, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 53
I guess the words prototype, temporary, first pics, or anything signifying an initial trail or fitting period is lost on what has become the cynical and competitively sarcastic mindset of this forum, especially as of late.

The *goal* is atop a Hornet, with clean connectivity; secure invisible mounting; no huge case except for transport, and no rubber bands.

Not one comment or question about the sound quality or potential. This used to be an audio forum. One of us are members of and/or posting in the wrong forum I guess.

Sep 28, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 53
drp, is it possible to get a close-up of the exit wound? Please keep us informed of your future thoughts on this mod. Very curious.

EDIT: And I think the jokes aren't so bad drp, but am surprised especially considering the price of the mod, no one has asked about sound quality. Then again it's a preliminary post. Don't be discouraged though. As you futher test I'm sure many of us are interested. I certianly am.

Sep 28, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 53
I think this is great and I am pretty sure the sound is very good. It just can get better with the Hornet. I lihe the solution the offer for the bass roll-off, it seems so obvious that you have to wonder why nobody thougth of that before.

Anyway, I also used rubber bands for my portable set: MP3 CD player, Home Vibe and battery pack. You just have to admit that it looks a bit "different" and quite sure it would get very interesting reactions on a security check up. Just take all these commentaries with a grain of salt and remember its all in good fun.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back