IMOD by Redwineaudio
Jan 7, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has to be all about the size factor, apparently.

Its been like that, since the era of man kind..

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #47 of 82
Quote:

vinnie, does it take an impossible amount of time to mod the nano? i just wanted to get an idea as to how difficult it is. looks like you have to drill a hole off the side of the nano.

Quote:

But if this is the case, then I don't understand why he no longer mod the 1G iPod nano, since it use the exact same DAC as the 4G iPod. A Wolfson Microelectronics WM8975.

Hi Aluren and krmathis,

Modding the Nano is a total PITA, and VERY risky work. After I modded that Nano, I promised myself that I would never mod another one. Sorry guys..

Quote:

Maybe for the 5G, it'll be this odd limitation where you can only have the 30GB HDD, but you need the 60GB metal backing, to add more room.

Just a thought, but it seems too simple, and I'm sure Vinnie thought of it already.

Hi TheMarchingMule,

I've investigated the 5G iPod Video (60GB), and even with the larger rear case than the 30GB, there was still no room in there. Also, the board layout makes it much more difficult. Just like the Nano, it is a total PITA and too risky.

Luckily, there is a large stock of 60GB iPod Photos out there (especially the Apple Factory Refurbs from The Apple Store and Smalldog.com... essentially brand new units!) for a great price of ~ $199.00.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jan 8, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #48 of 82
Thanks for getting on those questions of ours, Vinnie.

Guess someday I'll have to jump for an iMod...when I at least have a job.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

vinnie, does it take an impossible amount of time to mod the nano? i just wanted to get an idea as to how difficult it is. looks like you have to drill a hole off the side of the nano.

Quote:

But if this is the case, then I don't understand why he no longer mod the 1G iPod nano, since it use the exact same DAC as the 4G iPod. A Wolfson Microelectronics WM8975.

Hi Aluren and krmathis,

Modding the Nano is a total PITA, and VERY risky work. After I modded that Nano, I promised myself that I would never mod another one. Sorry guys..

Thank you for answering our questions.
Sorry to hear that you will not mod any more iPod nano's. Cause I would certainly get one instantly if it were available.

Oh well!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #50 of 82
I just ordered the iMod, they're also going to be upgrading the HDD to 240GB with a drive I bought.

I have a Heir Audio 4.A, Vmoda M80 and Fiio E11 on the way too.

Cannot wait to hear how it all sounds, 

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #51 of 82
WOW. Just got an imod. Vinnie you are amazing :D
Did a double blind as well vs Colorfly C3 vs normal ipod 80gb 5.5g vs colorfly c4

imod won!

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #52 of 82
Got my G5.5 iMod from Vinnie last week. After about 20 hours of burn time, I cannot tell the difference between it and my old 5g iPod's headphone jack. Need to burn more??.
Rockbox on both using flac, RSA P51 mustang on both units, with ATH W5000 phones.
Hmmm...need to burn it in a lot to hear any difference?

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #53 of 82
The imod is for the line out, not the headphone jack. The headphone out is unchanged. The imod is for pairing a the line out with an external amp. It doesn't have anything to do with the headphone jack.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #54 of 82
The imod is for the line out, not the headphone jack. The headphone out is unchanged. The imod is for pairing a the line out with an external amp. It doesn't have anything to do with the headphone jack.

To clarify, I use an ALO v2 LOD with the iMod, into the p51 mustang amp. Not the headphone jack. It sounds the same as putting the headphone jack on my old un modded 5g iPod into the p51 with a FiiO 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm cable. Wondering if it will really get better with more burn time. Sorry for the confusion, see pic. Trying to compare the setup in the pic with a plain iPod headphone jack into the same amp and it sounds exactly the same so far. IMod LOD vs plain iPod headphone jack, both using p51 with ATH w5000. Rockbox firmware with same flac files on both players.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #55 of 82
Ok, thanks for clarifying. To be honest, I gave up on the imod and diy mod a long time ago. I didn't think the imod was worth it at all for the price, and would recommend doing it yourself. The reason is, the improvement is subtle, and you're not the only one who hasn't been able to tell the difference. I can hear the difference, but it's not enough to justify the high price. The only significant improvements are going with some huge expensive boutique caps, but then it becomes much less portable because the caps would require a large enclosure of their own.

But imods are not talked about much now because of the flux of products that can extract a digital signal out of idevices which render the imods a mute point(6g ipods and newer). You lose rockbox, but gain a huge leap in sound quality. But this is jmo, so ymmv.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #56 of 82
Thanks for the feedback. I was swayed by the reviews by people who said the sound improvement was "not" subtle, and that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Well, I paid the price for it (purchased whole pre modded unit from Redwine) and if I can't return it, I might as well just keep it going at this point unless I decide to sell it. Maybe the sound improvement will be a little more noticeable with more burn in time. *crosses fingers*

Also, returning those beautiful ATH w5000's because they creak in my ears when I move my jaw, in both ears. :rolleyes: may replace with ESW10, but can't find any. Ppl say those and the ESW9's work well with the p51...the journey continues for great sounding closed phones for my setup.

Mar 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #57 of 82
The difference in SQ is.noticeable. I always do blind tests and it outperformed my unmodded 5.5g by quite a bit

Mar 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #59 of 82
Am using p51 with ATH w5000 and flac,, maybe need more burn time with imod to notice the sq diff or should it be evident out of the box? What kind of files do you notice the sq diff with, both low bit rate and lossless or just lossless? Also curious what about the sq you find to be diff. Sorry for all the questions, trying to figure this thing out. Appreciate your input!

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #60 of 82
You'll be hard pressed to hear a difference with v0 mp3 files. There's a discernible difference with lossless files. But again, if going that route, I would always recommend the diymod if possible. There are portable dacs that can be used with ipods 6g and newer that obliterates anything an imod can do since you are still using the ipod's internal dac; and for about the same amount of money(some are even cheaper) at that. Even for Something like even a godap x is a huge leap over and imod, which is why there aren't many post about them anymore. But if rockbox is a must, then the imod is the best route since rockbox doesn't work with idevice dacs. I was a long time lover of rockbox myself, but the first time I listened to an idevice dac, the improvement was more than enough for me to forget about rockbox. But ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back