Image X10 (re) appreciation thread
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

tstarn06

Banned
I owe Klipsch an apology. Not really, but I am doing a flip-flop on their Image X10 dynamic phones.

During my search for a pair of keeper dynamic IEMs for my collection, I tried the IE8 (just not my preference, though very nice IEMs), and now the IE7 (and my thinking was? Not sure. They were less than $200 is all I can say). Why would the IE7 be a better choice than the IE8? Some say they have less bass and more mid-focus, but I still find the bass somewhat overbearing (more on that later).

Yesterday, I noticed the poor little X10s, relegated to my Buddha statue turned IEM/cable stand (yes, with arms outstretched), sitting there. Wanting to see why they cost $349 MSRP, I tried something different, new tips. I stuck on the large single flange black tips that came with the now sold Custom 3s (the buyer didn't want them) and wow, they gave me the perfect seal and some very excellent sound on a few test tracks (mainly Hotel California on the Hell Freezes Over and the unreleased version of Paul Simon’s Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes from Graceland, an awesome bass track).

I had written off the X10s for their microphonics and what I thought was their veiled sound (when compared to the PFEs in particular). But these are $349 phones, (now available for $259 on Amazon)? They had to be better than I gave them credit for, right? I had paid $175 for them during that great Klipsch half-price sale last year, so they were a bargain at that price.

Anyway, I threw the music at them on my Zune80 and Sony A818 (no EQ), and the Touch as well. And wow, they sounded fantastic. I had been using the larger bi-flange gel, and maybe that was the problem. Not sure. But these large single flange gels are perfect, great seal/awesome iso, and comfy beyond belief.

Not going to go into a lot of review-like details, but I really enjoyed the X10s, and think I may start to use them again in place of the IE7s, which are also a very nice IEM. The X10s right now just offer a more balanced sound (only have burned in the IE7s for 90 hours or so). While the IE7s are on the “for sale” block, I will keep burning them in and try to hit the magic 200-hour mark unless someone buys them. I have 23 days to return them as well.

Meantime, I solved the X10 microphonics issue by using the shirt clip AND pushing the under the chin slider almost all the way up. No noises via the cable. I also know they have some cracking issues on the strain relief near the amazingly small drivers, but I believe Klipsch will replace them with a new pair which no longer has the issue. I think.

Anyway, wanted to give Klipsch their due. I know the X10s have not gotten a lot of buzz on Head-Fi, but I am glad I gave them a second chance. I am gonna hook them up to the T4 and Minbox and see how they perform with an amp and LOD (on the Touch).

Anyway else like them? Dislike them?

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 100
Incidentally, I was actually listening to the x10's last night as my pfe's might be on the blink
redface.gif
. Unfortunately, my experience wasn't the same as yours! They are good and I still think for soundstaging they are very hard to beat, even the ie7's, as good as they are, don't really compare. Vocals and smearing is where I just can't stomach them. They are just too hot. Had to take them off shortly after.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 100
Yeah, I have the x5's right now. The bass is good, i want more. The X10's have more bass i believe, so definitely would like to upgrade to them.

I bought the x5's directly from klipsch and it has developed the infamous tear on the wire connectors. Gonna send them to klipsch.

do you think they will let me upgrade to the x10's for an extra charge?

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 100
I recently was looking at my Westone 3's, which I was planning on selling or trading, and decided to try some tips from other iems. I put on the medium tips from my Philips she9850's and wow, they sound amazing. I don't notice a midbass hump anymore as it extends very deep and I get better soundsatge. I tried many different tips, but the Philips tip worked best for me. I'm now going to hold onto the Westone 3's. I have the Image X5's and I only use the large dual flange tips on them. They sound good with the dual flange but now I'm going to try the single flange tips and see what results I get.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 100
Philips she9850 tips on the W3s. Now that's funny. I may have to try and get some of those. I like the modded tri-flanges on the W3s, but only when I can EQ the highs a bit (too dark otherwise).

communic, I don't get that smearing/hot thing. Do you mean sibilant? I don't hear that, not too much anyway. Maybe it's the large flanges that are not giving me that feedback.

Funny how we all try so many combos, and sometimes we get lucky after we have just about given up.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently was looking at my Westone 3's, which I was planning on selling or trading, and decided to try some tips from other iems. I put on the medium tips from my Philips she9850's and wow, they sound amazing. I don't notice a midbass hump anymore as it extends very deep and I get better soundsatge. I tried many different tips, but the Philips tip worked best for me. I'm now going to hold onto the Westone 3's. I have the Image X5's and I only use the large dual flange tips on them. They sound good with the dual flange but now I'm going to try the single flange tips and see what results I get.

Hey, how do those Philips phones sound? They aren't cheap, listed at $99.99 on the Philips site. But can't seem to find any places to buy extra tips.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have the x5's right now. The bass is good, i want more. The X10's have more bass i believe, so definitely would like to upgrade to them.

I bought the x5's directly from klipsch and it has developed the infamous tear on the wire connectors. Gonna send them to klipsch.

do you think they will let me upgrade to the x10's for an extra charge?

Who knows? But the half-price sale is way over. Amazon has the 10s listed for $259.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incidentally, I was actually listening to the x10's last night as my pfe's might be on the blink
redface.gif
. Unfortunately, my experience wasn't the same as yours! They are good and I still think for soundstaging they are very hard to beat, even the ie7's, as good as they are, don't really compare. Vocals and smearing is where I just can't stomach them. They are just too hot. Had to take them off shortly after.

As I noted, still burning in those darn IE7s. The entire Senn burn-in thing is really annoying, but people swear they improve a lot with it. I didn't get that when I burned in the IE8s for 250-plus hours. Oh well.

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 100
Yeah, that one sale was a monster, otherwise not many people would have them is my guess. Did you get the Custom 3s in a good deal? I had a pair that were $150 during the sale, but I sold them and kept the X10s. I just preferred the X10 sound, even than (4-5 months ago).

Apr 29, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, how do those Philips phones sound? They aren't cheap, listed at $99.99 on the Philips site. But can't seem to find any places to buy extra tips.

In terms of midrange, they sound similar to the Shure se210's (I had them briefly but shortly after I got the she9850's I sold them) but with much better bass and highs. The highs are rolled off and there is a slight midbass hump. I read a review somewhere, where they compared the she9850's to the Shure se310's. Apparently they sound similar but the se310's have the edge for midrange detail, and the she9850's have the edge for soundstage. I got them on sale at NCIX when they were on sale for around $45 US. They don't carry them anymore. You're probably going to have to contact Philips directly for the tips, or they might be on ebay. They look like a modified version of the Shure E4C's.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 100
Thanks much. I will see if I can find them, though the tri-flanges are working for me with the W3s and I may spring for the UM56s some day. When the W3s sound their best, they are pretty amazing in my view. Better than anything I've heard so far, including the Senns.

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks much. I will see if I can find them, though the tri-flanges are working for me with the W3s and I may spring for the UM56s some day. When the W3s sound their best, they are pretty amazing in my view. Better than anything I've heard so far, including the Senns.

I used to like the IE8's the best, but now with the W3's sounding better, it's a very tough call. Looks like I will be doing some testing between the two in the very near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back