iM716 DIY Pod Removal (aka, Podectomy)
Oct 12, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #16 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Thank you for the kind words vYu.

Between the podectomy and the DIY tips, these phones are really getting to sound pretty special.

Cheers-

You're welcome. The thread that Ace o' Spades posted (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202191) gave me inspiration to finally try DIY foamies, since it was so much easier (and since I have worn out stock iM716 foamies already). I was never really willing to go through the trouble of getting tubing for the inside of the foamies.

I used the Howard Leight Max Lite earplugs. I think they are also polyurethane. http://www.hearingportal.com/product...ucts2.asp?id=5

What I did was I put a heavy school text book on top of them to flatten them. Then I used scissors to cut them to the length I needed them to be. After I waited for the desired pieces to expand, I took those pieces, stood them on their bases, and flattened them again with the textbook. Now that the pieces looked like wafers, I put them on top of an eraser and pushed a needle through each of them. I waited for them to expand on the needles (looked like marshmellows
biggrin.gif
). For each of the pieces, I put another needle and a toothpick through the same hole, tried to expand the hole big enough so that I could squeeze the old foamy's "stalk" through it. IT WAS A PITA!!! But when I finally got the foam onto the stalk, I was pretty sure that, as the hole is only needle-thin, the foams would not fall off of the stalks.

Rolling the foamies are now easier than ever. I must say that rolling the stock foamies were a PITA. The stock ones expanded way too quickly and were difficult to compress. These Max Lite DIY foamies compress easily with the lightest touch, and expand pretty slowly. They are also super-soft.

I believe that they add more bass and warmth to my iM716's, all while maintaining the crispness of the highs.

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #17 of 352
cool mod. I did somethings similar with my KTX Pro1. Just spliced out the volume slider thing and replaced it with 75 ohm resistors and heat-shrink.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by vYu223
You're welcome. The thread that Ace o' Spades posted (http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202191) gave me inspiration to finally try DIY foamies, since it was so much easier (and since I have worn out stock iM716 foamies already). I was never really willing to go through the trouble of getting tubing for the inside of the foamies.

I used the Howard Leight Max Lite earplugs. I think they are also polyurethane. http://www.hearingportal.com/product...ucts2.asp?id=5

What I did was I put a heavy school text book on top of them to flatten them. Then I used scissors to cut them to the length I needed them to be. After I waited for the desired pieces to expand, I took those pieces, stood them on their bases, and flattened them again with the textbook. Now that the pieces looked like wafers, I put them on top of an eraser and pushed a needle through each of them. I waited for them to expand on the needles (looked like marshmellows
biggrin.gif
). For each of the pieces, I put another needle and a toothpick through the same hole, tried to expand the hole big enough so that I could squeeze the old foamy's "stalk" through it. IT WAS A PITA!!! But when I finally got the foam onto the stalk, I was pretty sure that, as the hole is only needle-thin, the foams would not fall off of the stalks.

Rolling the foamies are now easier than ever. I must say that rolling the stock foamies were a PITA. The stock ones expanded way too quickly and were difficult to compress. These Max Lite DIY foamies compress easily with the lightest touch, and expand pretty slowly. They are also super-soft.

I believe that they add more bass and warmth to my iM716's, all while maintaining the crispness of the highs.

Fantastic!

Yes, the impression of more bass and a rounder, warmer, fuller sound is a general impression from going to urethane foamies from the silicon flanges or PVC foamies (like those that come with the iM716).

Could you do me a big favor vYu, could you please re-post your technique and impressions on the "Homemade Foam Eartips for IEMs" thread. I think it will get a lot more exposure there by people that may want to try your modification who may not own iM716s (as per this thread).

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716

BTW- I don't know why the 'freezing technique' (1st post of that thread- as suggested by Sugarfried, from Shure) scares everyone away. I think it is a very easy, reproducible method. You can still use the iM716 tube.

Enjoy the new and improved sound!

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
cool mod. I did somethings similar with my KTX Pro1. Just spliced out the volume slider thing and replaced it with 75 ohm resistors and heat-shrink.

Thanks Kramer.

Still playing with the reisitors when I get the time.

Stay tuned-

Oct 13, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 352
Measured impedance of the podless iM716 straight wired, it was only a piddly 5 Ohms!!!

As would be expected, volume was very high compared to the podded iM716. I was only using about 50% volume poddless instead of 75-80% poddled.

SOUND: Note- all listening was done with a 4G iPod, no external amps. This is what I will primarily be listening to these phones with, so I’m trying to customize the freq balance to be optimal, for me, over a large library of assorted music. Also, I am using custom polyurethane eartips. These significantly affect the response of the lower registers, in my experience. So results may vary.

Straight wired. The sound was, well, laid back and relaxed. Vocals had a nice rounded depth and bass was big (for this IEM). But I don’t know if the iPod is built to support a 5 Ohm load for any period, so listening was brief.

Resistors placed in-line (as per original post). I tried 10, 15, 22, and 47 Ohm resistors. Add 5 Ohms to get approximate total DC resistance with each set.

The 10 and 15 Ohm resistors were still laid back and relaxed with plenty of bass, as mentioned above. This is a very addicting sound. Sweetness. The transient response (articulation) was still very fast, and should not be impacted by the change of resistors. The sound is like a hot-fudge sundae. Mmmmmmmm……

If not for remembering the 'Ety' sig, I likely would have left it at that.

At 22 Ohms (27 Ohms total) the “Ety” sound became a touch more apparent. A bit more high freq energy. Seemed like a nicely balanced response for most music. I enjoyed the time I spent at this setting. Everything sounded good.

At 47 Ohms added (~52 total) the “Ety” sig became more apparent. Kinda like turning up the presence control. Breathing was more apparent with an upper end 'hhhhhh', if you know what I mean, as were fingers sliding down the neck of a guitar. Piano had that extra little high freq 'air'. These sounds were there before, but not with the high freq presence they now displayed. Stand up and take notice, but without dwarfing the bass. Definitely a sherbet. Veryyyy nice for a hot summer’s day.

The price of this leading edge ‘definition’ loved so much by Etyolics (myself included) was a slight decrease in the round, 3D like dimension of some vocals, such as the chestiness of tenors was diminished from before. All this is very variable and depends more on the recording itself than the style of music. That said, simple vocals vs complex orchestral works or rock bomb-basts handled it differently. Poorly recorded, etchy music was all the more so.

That’s it for the update. Back to listening.

Oct 14, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #21 of 352
So to get a good balance in tonality you recommand going for 22 OHM?
If i can get the guts to do this ill try it with 22. Thank a lot boy.

Luidge

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by luidge
So to get a good balance in tonality you recommand going for 22 OHM?
If i can get the guts to do this ill try it with 22. Thank a lot boy.

Luidge

Luidge,

It's a custom job. The point is that you can put the EQ wherever you like. For me, I'm really enjoying the 47 Ohm as I write this. Simple vocal and background (Carla Bruni "Quelqu'un m'a dit"). French, breathy, sensual ............ Oh......sweeeeet.

For etchy recordings that presence may be less appreciated. But even at this setting, not bad. I remember it being more apparent (worse) at the HD setting of the pod, which also had less apparent bass (from memory) at this setting.

But bad recordings should sound, well, at least not good.

I may try a 33 Ohm. Don’t think I’d go with 22 Ohm. I’m hooked on the presence of these vocals right now. If you like the Ety sig, 22 may be low. But I also don't think I'd go higher than 47 Ohms. At least directly out of an iPod!

Actually in my descriptions I tried to bring out the differences I heard over time and over a lot of recordings. They may not be as different as I’m portraying. I guess, what I’m trying to say is that there is more the same than there is different.

Again, importantly, I’m using urethane tips. I find them much better for the lower registers than the PVC foamies or the flanges.

In any case, bottom line is that going podless improves SQ, and if you’re even fairly handy, you can custom the freq response for your personal tastes.

No sweat.

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #24 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
looking at those photos, it should be well within reasonable limits to do a part recable to a balanced drive setup.

iPods are notoriously deficient in low freq response. My attempts to balance the freq response are compromises in getting enough low freq and still highs.

With a real (balanced or not) hi-fi setup you’ll likely want to go much higher in resistance as you won’t have to deal with deficient iPod bass. Much better high freq extension as such.

Good luck. Please post back. It would be good to hear about something well above the level of an iPod.

However, I don't think there is a third lead that would be required for true balanced (3-pin; +, - and earth) audio. But you may be right. The outer colored sheath of thin wires may surround an electrically isolated lead. Not sure myself, and haven't thought about it until your post as the ends are tinned. You may need the skills of a surgeon to pull it off. Alternatively, you could add a 3rd lead (earth), but that would likely diminish the portable aspect of the phones. But with balanced, you'd only be hooking up to you home hi-fi anyway I suppose.

iPod, the McDonald’s of audio.

...........it’s all about compromise.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 352
I've been using the 47-Ohm resistors (= approx 51 Ohm total DC impedance) for over a week now and I am very happy with the sound.

This setting gives ample bass and full vocals on most recordings. Some recordings just aren’t good, but this isn’t a band-aid. Still, this setting is more balanced, full and forgiving than the sometimes anemic HD mode, and doesn’t appear to have the bass anomalies of the bass mode.

I tried going to a 33-Ohm resistors for a short period, but preferred the 47-Ohm and reinstalled them.

Really nice not having that pod dangling on the cord anymore.

For sure.

etysmile.gif

For these evaluations I used a 4th G iPod as a source, and Howard Leight MAX DIY eartips on the iM716s. If you are attaching to an amp, or to a better source and amp, the deficient bass of the iPod may be better compensated. In that case, you may want to try a higher value resistor. As mentioned, some amps, like the Xin Supermini have impedance jumper settings that can be used instead of soldering in discreet resistors.

Oct 23, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #26 of 352
I used 68 ohm SMT resistors in my koss plugs. not sure if there are any sonic differences between an SMT and a traditional metal film resistor. I did it mainly to increase the impedence load presented to my amp. By itself the plugs are ~12 ohms and they make my amps hiss like crazy.

heres a pic... you could probably do SMT resistors in line to help conserve space.

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #27 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I used 68 ohm SMT resistors in my koss plugs. not sure if there are any sonic differences between an SMT and a traditional metal film resistor. I did it mainly to increase the impedence load presented to my amp. By itself the plugs are ~12 ohms and they make my amps hiss like crazy.

heres a pic... you could probably do SMT resistors in line to help conserve space.

Very nice, innovative work Kramer. So, did the total go from 12 Ohm to 80 Ohm impedance?

I believe the discreet metal films are preferred to the pcb board SMT type resistors by audiophiles. I have not presonally tried to listen to the differences between the two.

However, your point was to rid the hiss. Did it work? Did it alter the SQ or freq response? Is 80 Ohms to high to effeciently drive these phones?

In short, how do they now sound?

Oct 24, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #28 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
Fantastic!

Yes, the impression of more bass and a rounder, warmer, fuller sound is a general impression from going to urethane foamies from the silicon flanges or PVC foamies (like those that come with the iM716).

Could you do me a big favor vYu, could you please re-post your technique and impressions on the "Homemade Foam Eartips for IEMs" thread. I think it will get a lot more exposure there by people that may want to try your modification who may not own iM716s (as per this thread).

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=im716

BTW- I don't know why the 'freezing technique' (1st post of that thread- as suggested by Sugarfried, from Shure) scares everyone away. I think it is a very easy, reproducible method. You can still use the iM716 tube.

Enjoy the new and improved sound!

I'd be obliged to do so. I reposted it in the thread, with some revisions. I also added a few things that may improve on the method in my earlier post.

Oct 24, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 352
Hey I just did this mod and it took no more than 15 minutes and was much easier then I expected. I did not use resistors and just went for the cable to cable. However now my pa2v2 seems like it serves no point because these are now driven perfectly fine from the iPod. Also, I think i prefered the SQ before the mod, is this because I used no resistors?

I think I may leave it how it is and get a supermini 4 because you can adjust the impedance on that so I won't need resistors correct? Basically I am asking if I buy a supermini4 will it be like using a resistor? (btw, I am not just buying this because I am too lazy for a resistor, I have been wanting one for awhile.)

Oct 24, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #30 of 352
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Hey I just did this mod and it took no more than 15 minutes and was much easier then I expected. I did not use resistors and just went for the cable to cable. However now my pa2v2 seems like it serves no point because these are now driven perfectly fine from the iPod. Also, I think i prefered the SQ before the mod, is this because I used no resistors?

I think I may leave it how it is and get a supermini 4 because you can adjust the impedance on that so I won't need resistors correct? Basically I am asking if I buy a supermini4 will it be like using a resistor? (btw, I am not just buying this because I am too lazy for a resistor, I have been wanting one for awhile.)

(I already posted a similar comment on the thread you started)

Yes, it is quite easy to eliminate the pod.

However the impedance is only around 4-5 Ohms podless. It may sound a bit warm and fuzzy but lacking in upper registers, true?

Adding resistors will be like and EQ slider of sorts; less resistance = more bass at the expense of the upper end. More resistance = less bass but more upper end.

What is really nice is that you can customize the sound to your preference. Where else can you do that? And as you said, it’s really not difficult.

As I don’t have the amp, swapping out resistors takes some time, and some memory. As above, I’m quite happy with the 47-Ohm resistors currently installed. Well, at least for the moment!

The downside of resistors is they are not quickly swapped out. The downside of the amp is that you will always need to use that amp with these phones, regardless of the source.

Either way, the minor inconvenience is easily outweighed by the increase in SQ.

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back