I'm lovin my PS3! (mini-review / first impressions)
Jun 20, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Wii (and have no intention of buying either a 360 or a PS3) because HD-TV's are still FAR too expensive... As for Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD, I think normal DVD will stay for a long while longer as the dominant format. Nobody I know has an HD-TV...

Nobody you know owns a HDTV? Well, maybe they haven't upgraded yet. But with prices coming down, just about all newly purchased TV sets are at least 720p LCD panels.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by fraseyboy
I bought a Wii (and have no intention of buying either a 360 or a PS3) because HD-TV's are still FAR too expensive... As for Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD, I think normal DVD will stay for a long while longer as the dominant format. Nobody I know has an HD-TV...

That's actually very, very true. Even if, for example, Blu Ray beats down HDDVD tomorrow, it would still have a really tough time beating DVD. I'd give the winning format another 2 - 3 years to beat out DVD, and by then, who knows how efficient HD movie downloading will be?

Ah, aren't these format wars sweet? Each new answer just raises one more question. It's a never ending cycle, just like Head - Fi, actually ...

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #48 of 50
HD movie downloading simply will not take over yet.

Hard Drive space, and bandwidth is still too expensive for that. You have HD movies on the 360 at about 6GB a piece, and that's a pretty poor encode, at 720p. But I don't think many people are ready to part with their hard copies. Online distribution will only remain for renting HD movies for a while I think.

Blu-Ray will win over HD-DVD (don't quote me on this, but I believe it to be true), but DVD will remain for a good 5-7 years to come, before eliminating DVD. VHS stayed for a long while when DVD came out.

Also, people will be force to get ATSC compatible sets or start renting set-top boxes come 2009 (since the analog signal is being taken down), so many people will make the move to HD. Also, SDTVs just aren't being sold anymore, save for a few models, so people will inevitably be forced to switch over.

Blu-Ray will be here to stay, the format will not fail, as in a few years there will be a much larger need for it.

Also, to fraseyboy....where the heck do you live? I have 2 HDTVs in my house, and every one of my close friends (about 10 people) has one. Then again, I live in Ottawa, Canada, so we kind of like our high-tech here
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's actually very, very true. Even if, for example, Blu Ray beats down HDDVD tomorrow, it would still have a really tough time beating DVD. I'd give the winning format another 2 - 3 years to beat out DVD, and by then, who knows how efficient HD movie downloading will be?

Ah, aren't these format wars sweet? Each new answer just raises one more question. It's a never ending cycle, just like Head - Fi, actually ...

I think it will be a tough time taking over DVD, also. However, the issue isn't whether it will replace DVD anytime soon, but whether it will fulfill a constantly growing niche of people that want high def. The brilliant move by Sony was including a BD player in the PS3. That means you get the Blu-Ray capabilities even if you do not really care about it. With over three million PS3s sold now and more games coming out in the fall, we will probably see a huge boost in sales of the PS3 around Christmas. This will affect BD sales.

In other words, I think the PS3 practically guarantees some level of success for BluRay.

The never ending cycle you mention is apparent with any technology. You have a choice to continue to stay out or jump in and enjoy the benefits now. I am sure there are people still waiting for their first computer for the same reason...

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #50 of 50
^exactly.

And once people have HDTVs (everyone eventually will) and Blu-Ray is the same price as DVD....why would they not get them?

I really don't think theres much chance for this format to fail. And the thing is....PC games will be needing this within 5 years I think, so a HD format becoming dominant is inevitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back