I'm lost: what amps for a K701 ?
Jul 26, 2008 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kres

New Head-Fier
Hello

I 'm ust new here. I read a lot of posts on this forum, as I'm looking for an amp for my AKG701.

Actually, from what I've read, I can not male my mind : so, here are a list from material that I could afford. If somebody can help me to make a choice ... Thanks a lot

- heed canamp
- a nad receiver ? which one ? does an old amp (second hand) may fit ?
- little dot III
- Xiang Sheng 708B
- or my headphone output from my Marantz 67SE (or anyother CD headphone ouput). By the way, taking for example a Marantz 63KI would improve the headphone outlet, or not at all ? Any other brand (CD) welcomed ...

I guess all those amps are not the same philosophy, but all this is absolutly not clear to me.

Thanks a lot !

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 29
I'm about to receive a K701 and I have a tube rolled Xiang Sheng 708B. Next week I will know how they combine.

Anyway, from what I've heard the K701 can sound thin/dry and may benefit more from a tube amp than solid state. That's only hearsay though as I haven't heard the K701 yet.

Jul 26, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 29
I guess I'm in the same boat as you. I use the K701 with a NAD integrated amp headphone output, and it sounds quite good although the headphones are well under the 300hr break-in recommendation. I ordered a Little Dot Mk II to try with it, so we'll see when it comes...

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 29
well i'm having the same question: would the combination of LD mk 3 + zero do significantly better than the LD alone? As i've heard that the ld mk 3 alone can drive the k 701 quite well
money is a big problem here so just wanna be sure
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 29
Thanks.

Palantiri7 and Agnostic, I'll wait for your comment when you receive your amps ! I guess your feedback will help me a lot !

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHE, the K701 fared well with the Darkvoice 336i, and even better with the Bada PH-12.

x2 in regards to the Darkvoice (haven't heard the Bada). Wonderful synergy and a terrific little tube amp for not a lot of money. If you want to spend less and not deal with tubes, Shanling's PH100 drives the 701s quite nicely. There has been some recent love for the little known amp. My 701s were the first headphone I plugged into my Shanling and I was floored. Anyone who says the 701s need bass has not heard them properly amped.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 29
Look at the Purity Audio Caliente for a solid state amp with the 701. If you are having trouble getting too little bass from the 701's this amp sounds as if it were voiced to work with this headphone.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 29
I'm pleasantly surprised by the K-701, I like it much more than I expected from everything I read about them on Head-Fi. Placement and the the realism of the soundstage are unsurpassed.
But regarding what you wanted to know: They sound pretty darn good with my tube rolled Xiang Sheng.

May I ask what amp you are using now and what you are expecting from the amp you want to buy?

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 29
I just have a P304 pre-amp Onkyo, a RA940BX Rotel, and the headphone output from a Marantz CD player 67.

The marantz give a very nice sound, the rotel also. The onkyo is far behind.

I just love the musicality of the 701, and I would like to use them at their maximum potential (let's say give them a good amp for the price, whatever the size)

I'm also thinking of the heed canamp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back