I'm giving up on Home headphones, getting rid of my HD800's (Losing the faith?)
Mar 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BattleBrat

Previously known as Blasto_Brandino.
I just got my computer rig up and running, Bowers and Wilkins Matrix 805's (They were given to me, I just saw a pair sell on Ebay for $1,000, so I know they are loved, now I understand why) Target stands, MIT Terminator 4 Bi-wire cables, and a B&K Components Reference 125.2 amp, sourced from a Creative Sound blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (If anyone knows what OP amps I can shove it in please let me know) In a Dell Precision 490 Workstation (Dual Quad Xeons FTW!)

ANYWAY,
The rig mentioned above has just demolished any headphones I've heard. Smooth, warm, rich and full, my GOD I'm in love, I'll post pics a little later.
I mean why WHY!?!? Why should any of us mess with headphones when awesomeness like this exists, I understand a rig like this would cost around $2000 to build, but you can go cheaper, hell you can pick up a pair of powered Quad (brand) bookshelf speakers for 600-800 bucks, So WHY headphones at home when speakers are available?...

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I just got my computer rig up and running, Bowers and Wilkins Matrix 805's (They were given to me, I just saw a pair sell on Ebay for $1,000, so I know they are loved, now I understand why) Target stands, MIT Terminator 4 Bi-wire cables, and a B&K Components Reference 125.2 amp, sourced from a Creative Sound blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (If anyone knows what OP amps I can shove it in please let me know) In a Dell Precision 490 Workstation (Dual Quad Xeons FTW!)

ANYWAY,
The rig mentioned above has just demolished any headphones I've heard. Smooth, warm, rich and full, my GOD I'm in love, I'll post pics a little later.
I mean why WHY!?!? Why should any of us mess with headphones when awesomeness like this exists, I understand a rig like this would cost around $2000 to build, but you can go cheaper, hell you can pick up a pair of powered Quad (brand) bookshelf speakers for 600-800 bucks, So WHY headphones at home when speakers are available?...

Oh, I dunno, maybe because at 3:47am, when all three sub-woofers fire, the neighbors get upset, and weird crap ends up on your door step and the cops ask annoying questions. When you don't want to wake up a terrible 2 year old, it also comes in handy. Pretty sweet when the misses wants to sleep and read her stupid novel while you jam the F out and argue on the internet.

Speakers are superior to headphones. No doubt.

But it's not always an option depending on where, how, and who you live with.

Very best,

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 10
You should rethink about the soundstage. If you want a good, wide, dimension soundstage, you need to put many speakers around the room and of course you need to arrange the furniture to get the best result.

On the other hand, when you have a good headphone, you can overcome this problem easily.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 10
I don't think anyone has argued that speakers are inferior on this site.  Maybe you shouldn't just make assumptions like that before you make a useless post.  Yes speakers can have great sound come out of them too!

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 10
No, sound stage is CRAZY on them, no, noone has argued that headphones are superior, I'm just wondering why I should dump a couple grand on stationary headphone equipment when a speaker rig of equal cost would wipe the floor with it.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 10

This ring so true, I just got my headphones for late night gaming or just listening sessions.
Quote:
Oh, I dunno, maybe because at 3:47am, when all three sub-woofers fire, the neighbors get upset, and weird crap ends up on your door step and the cops ask annoying questions. When you don't want to wake up a terrible 2 year old, it also comes in handy. Pretty sweet when the misses wants to sleep and read her stupid novel while you jam the F out and argue on the internet.

Speakers are superior to headphones. No doubt.

But it's not always an option depending on where, how, and who you live with.

Very best,

I disagree, I bought the DT 990 pro because of what most users here said it has a great sound stage, what annoys me most is quite the opposite, sometimes I hear the artist sing on one side of my ear and the instruments on the other side, which does not happen when listening to the same track through my 5.1 setup. Most of the time the headphones just doesn't give you the feeling that you are in front of the podium but rather smack dab in the middle of the band, which to me doesn't feel right at all.

Quote:
You should rethink about the soundstage. If you want a good, wide, dimension soundstage, you need to put many speakers around the room and of course you need to arrange the furniture to get the best result.

On the other hand, when you have a good headphone, you can overcome this problem easily.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 10
I don't want to get into acoustic room treatments.

For me critical listening is a personal experience. If someone else is involved it becomes background music.

I'm a night owl, no reason to wake the neighbors.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 10
I'm not giving up on headphones at home completely, but I'm not going to devote massive resources to them anymore. I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser MM100 bluetooth headphones, smooth warm, premium sounding, I prefer them to my portapro's they actually sound HD650 like. They impressed me to the point I bought a creative USB bluetooth dongle w/ APT X (essentially hi def bluetooth audio) capability and I'm going to pick up a pair of sennheiser's top of the line bluetooth headphones (which feature Apt-x connectivity) I'm tired of being tethered, speakers gave me freedom to move about the cabin, and bluetooth headphones will as well.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 10
How about picking up a million dollar pair of beats? http://wearerap.com/lil-wayne-is-ballin-check-out-his-2-million-dollar-headphones-these-things-cray/#

Users who are viewing this thread

Back