I'm a tradesperson, trying to find good (<= $300) BLUETOOTH IEMS that would fit UNDERNEATH a pair of hearing protector earmuffs. Battery life and small size are most important.
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

The world of jobsite Bluetooth hearing protectors is nothing but garbage. 3M work tunes, ISO-Tunes, it's all crap.

So rather than going the route of Bluetooth earmuffs, I figure I can probably get much better sound quality by just using some quality Bluetooth IEMs under my normal 3M X5A Peltor hearing protectors.

The thing is, the need for these IEMs to fit underneath a pair of earmuffs changes the ranking criteria of most reviews. Small size and good battery life become the most important aspects, so that they can fit, and can last through a workday. Sound quality takes a backseat.

So, I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as a sub-$300 pair of IEMs that would have great battery life, but still be small enough to not extend beyond the bounds of the ear.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #2 of 8
I just got two pairs of Bluetooth wireless ear buds at AliExpress for $1.99 each using the phone app. I thought why not take a chance. Got different models and they're small and low profile and battery life is surprisingly good. Sound quality is better than expected, but the the tips are small and needed replacing with low profile cheap tips so they fit in the charging case. The cool thing is I have two pairs for $4 and one is always in its charging case ready to swap out.
I just use them for washing the car or going somewhere I don't have to worry about losing them, but the sound good enough to use with larger low profile tips.

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 8
I just got two pairs of Bluetooth wireless ear buds at AliExpress for $1.99 each using the phone app. I thought why not take a chance. Got different models and they're small and low profile and battery life is surprisingly good. Sound quality is better than expected, but the the tips are small and needed replacing with low profile cheap tips so they fit in the charging case. The cool thing is I have two pairs for $4 and one is always in its charging case ready to swap out.
I just use them for washing the car or going somewhere I don't have to worry about losing them, but the sound good enough to use with larger low profile tips.
Lmao never in a million years would I have expected $3 Ali Express ear buds to be a recommendation on Head-Fi.

Thank you, but this isn't really the type of product I want. I'm okay with spending more to get more sound quality and build quality. Im glad it works for you though, that's a neat find!

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Hello everyone,

The world of jobsite Bluetooth hearing protectors is nothing but garbage. 3M work tunes, ISO-Tunes, it's all crap.

So rather than going the route of Bluetooth earmuffs, I figure I can probably get much better sound quality by just using some quality Bluetooth IEMs under my normal 3M X5A Peltor hearing protectors.

The thing is, the need for these IEMs to fit underneath a pair of earmuffs changes the ranking criteria of most reviews. Small size and good battery life become the most important aspects, so that they can fit, and can last through a workday. Sound quality takes a backseat.

So, I'm wondering what you guys would recommend as a sub-$300 pair of IEMs that would have great battery life, but still be small enough to not extend beyond the bounds of the ear.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
The workday aspect is probably going to be the trickiest part.

At least on paper, the Beats Studio Buds+ might tick your boxes. The buds are small and it advertises “up to 9 hours” per charge. Key words there being “up to.”

Since Apple bought them out, you can handle repairs and replacements at first party Apple Stores if you have any nearby.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 8
The workday aspect is probably going to be the trickiest part.

At least on paper, the Beats Studio Buds+ might tick your boxes. The buds are small and it advertises “up to 9 hours” per charge. Key words there being “up to.”

Since Apple bought them out, you can handle repairs and replacements at first party Apple Stores if you have any nearby.
Yeah, I figure that's the hardest part. That said, since I'm gonna have earmuffs over them, I might be able to keep the volume a lot lower than the average unsealed listener, so that should help.

The other approach would be to find a decent Bluetooth IEM for around 150, and just buy two of em....

I will check out the beats earbuds, but uhhhh, they don't get the same hate here that the beats headphones do?

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, I figure that's the hardest part. That said, since I'm gonna have earmuffs over them, I might be able to keep the volume a lot lower than the average unsealed listener, so that should help.

The other approach would be to find a decent Bluetooth IEM for around 150, and just buy two of em....

I will check out the beats earbuds, but uhhhh, they don't get the same hate here that the beats headphones do?
Eh, don’t worry about what internet strangers think.

For what it’s worth, though, post-acquisition Beats has taken the brand in a different direction. Barring their over-ear and on-ear models, the majority of the lineup is now made up of more exercise-friendly buds.

I looked up more details about the battery. Apparently 9 hours is doable if you disable ANC/transparency. With ANC, it’s 6 hours or so. If you have lunch breaks, you should be able to top them up and get through the workday.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #7 of 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back