I'm A HD-280 Pro User, But Want More Isolation. What Are Some Options?
Jan 25, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 27
I'm looking to block out about 50db (at the very most) of outside noise & I don't think any set of cans can do that.

I thought the 280's would be perfect while I was playing my drums, but to my surprise they didn't block out much.

Looks like I'll have to go with those in ear monitor things. Eeeeee.

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #17 of 27
Do you need utmost fidelity? If not, one experiment you could try would be to wear Etymotic ER-20 "hi-fi earplugs" inside of the HD280's. A cheap way to add 20 more decibels of isolation to your existing rig when you need it, at the cost of altering the frequency response a little bit.

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 27
No I don't, not when it comes to playing the drums while listening to a track. My hearing is more important.

Wow, that should've been an obvious thing to do. Looks like I took the stupid pill before I left for work this morning. Thanks man, I'll definitely check those out!

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 27
I think it's not obvious at all - most people don't know these exist.

It takes a while to get used to them (lube them up with something before insertion), but they really do work: sonic fidelity is preserved pretty well, everything's just a good deal quieter.

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 27
of all the closed cans I have owned (V6, DT770, HD280, MDR-CD870/770, EX51) the HD280 had the most isolation across the entire frequency range. only my e2c isolated more.

Garrett

Jan 25, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 27
The only way you're going to isolate while playing drums is by using construction grade circumaural's, drummer's cans, shooter's cans, or a similar product. To improve SQ, you can use an IEM and then place the "ear-protection device" headphones over them.

Home Depot sells a pair for around $25 that will do the trick, and I recently saw a set at Costco as part of a "safety package" (eye goggles, etc. included) that was about $20.

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
The only way you're going to isolate while playing drums is by using construction grade circumaural's, drummer's cans, shooter's cans, or a similar product. To improve SQ, you can use an IEM and then place the "ear-protection device" headphones over them.

Home Depot sells a pair for around $25 that will do the trick, and I recently saw a set at Costco as part of a "safety package" (eye goggles, etc. included) that was about $20.

All the ones I've found only block around 30db of outside noise. If you know of where I can find ones that are higher, by all means please let me know.

Jan 25, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by zardoz
All the ones I've found only block around 30db of outside noise. If you know of where I can find ones that are higher, by all means please let me know.

30db is as high as circumaurals go- that's why you'll have to use them in combination with an IEM.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #24 of 27
I use Etymotic ER6i's for tracking and playing along to tunes on the drums. I have tried SP25-1 and they don't work. Period. IEM's are the only solution except perhaps for some of the specialized headsets that are based on industrial/shooters headsets with headphone drivers implanted. I haven't heard these but have seen them at local music stores. The Er6i at medium volume almost blocks out the drumset, but of course you can still feel the vibrations.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #25 of 27
My drummer friends use a set of headphones specifically for drumming. As headphones, they bite. Really weird frequency response that recesses the bass and heightens the treble range, mostly for cymbal work. It's kinda cool for playing drums in because it depresses the bass so you can hear your kick drum, and makes it easy to pick up the metal and snare for following complicated rhythms. They clamp like something found on a carpenter's bench too. They take an 1/8th line plug and have seperate volume controls for each ear. I'll be damned if I can remember the name. Next time I stop by his house I'll take another look. Isolation is as good as anything I've seen. 30 some odd db. I know he bought tham at the local music store. Cost was about $100

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #27 of 27
^Did you ever cop those R.A. HN-7506 ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back