ikko OH1S
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
I just go these in and It's been a bad experience from starting from the packaging. I didn't like how the earphones were lodged inside the foam material and nearly impossible to pull out.

These have MMCX connectors on them, and my unit had a QC issue. Left earpiece cable connection wouldn't fit securely, and this is really annoying. Now, either I return these or get a replacement.

I had a positive experience with OH10, and was impressed enough to have interest in the OH1S, and OH1S turned out to be a different experience.

As far as sound, the signature is tilted on the analytical cold side, the bass is not much present, and sounds like the bass is relatively weak due to the elevated treble. It sounds too bright. This is really surprising given that I liked the OH10. I really didn't expect such a drastic difference.

Why is the nozzle oval shaped? The only eartips that worked for me were the foam ones. There's oddly shaped silicone tips with oval nozzle. I tried them and bass was pretty much gone. The silicone tips are useless to me. I suspect they are not universal enough.

I'm quite puzzled why the OH1S sounds so much different from OH10. I think the OH1S is just a bad tuning. Also, I'm starting to think that I will run into QC issues with their products frequently. When I first got the ikko OH10, I had a driver flex issue on the right driver. And now with the OH1S, there's a connector issue.

What happened with this one? With the odd choice in tips, the MMCX connector issue, this wasn't a good experience. So, my expectations of future Ikko products isn't so positive after this.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Thanks for the review! I also love the OH10, and was interested in this new release, but you definitely opened my keys to keep me cautious. I have so many high end IEMs like the Odin and 64audio series...the OH10 was just a fun treat. Was hoping for another fun one...Sad to see Ikko missed on this one... Thanks again!

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 8
To help balance things out- I adore my OH1s sets, no issues with QC here and I have one of each color too in addition to the OH10:

Buds 1.jpg
Buds 3.jpg
Buds 17.jpg

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm quite puzzled why the OH1S sounds so much different from OH10. I think the OH1S is just a bad tuning. Also, I'm starting to think that I will run into QC issues with their products frequently. When I first got the ikko OH10, I had a driver flex issue on the right driver. And now with the OH1S, there's a connector issue.

What happened with this one? With the odd choice in tips, the MMCX connector issue, this wasn't a good experience. So, my expectations of future Ikko products isn't so positive after this.

Agreed, this is a pretty confusing release from Ikko. Here's my review:

• I could actually get behind a neutral-tuned Ikko, they did a great job with OH10 and I'm more of a neutral guy anyway. But this...
  • Very lean sound. Bass rolls off quite early.
  • Vocals come across quite thin. Lower treble adds some raspiness and edge.
  • The large peak graphed here I hear at 7.5k -- and it is immense. Like staring in the sun levels of bright. Mostly unpleasant to listen to.
  • A shame, because the ear pieces look great and even fit quite nice with foam tips. (The supplied silicone tips are bewildering.)
This is bad enough I'm worried it could hurt Ikko's reputation, especially in conjunction with some QC issues I encountered on three of the four models they sent me.

Frequency response: https://squig.link/?share=Super_Review_Target,Ikko_Gems_OH1s_(S2_+_stock_foams)

graph - 2021-07-14T184606.647.png

For fun, here's what happens when you obstruct the vent on the inside of the Gems.

https://squig.link/?share=Super_Rev...),Ikko_Gems_OH1s_(S2_+_stock_foams_+_BluTack)

graph - 2021-07-14T184847.156.png

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Hey guys,

I'm comparing the OH1S to Moondrop Aria. So far I've found good eq settings for Aria and they sound full and balanced! Ikkos on the other hand aren't as easy to tune. Without eq they're too thin and shouty. With AutoEQ they become bassier, but are still shouty! Has anybody got an idea how to further improve the AutoEQ for OH1S? I tried to reduce the trible by high shelves at 2 kHz, at 3 kHz and peak at 8 kHz. The shoutiness will be reduced while the bass gets more body ,but at the same time they sound more veiled.

I tried many tip sizes already and I'm sure I got a proper seal.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 8
I also have had the OH10 for a year or so now, but have not tried the OH1s, having read reviews about it that let me know I probably wouldn't like it.

I'm currently putting time into the Kinera Norn, which is similar to the OH10, but a bit more sub-bass, and more clarity and upper mids to make it sound less V-shaped, but not by much. It's worth the step up. But I'm already thinking about the Yanyin Moonlight or the Campfire Solaris 2019 OG version -- I really like DD hybrids, but not sure about EST interpretation of highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back