IHIFI 760 + 770 (pg 13) + 800 (pg 25) : From makers of the 812V2 / 960
Jan 28, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #136 of 482
  Many thanks, that was the action I was missing, the file has now been successfully downloaded, very much appreciate your help.   

Did you manage to rockbox'd it? For me, using win 8.1 is a total fail, win 7 was better and managed to get the loading thingy goin BUT eventually failed when flashing the image. 

Need to find that elusive XP PC.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #137 of 482
Can this player support 64gb? has anyone tried this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #139 of 482
  Did you manage to rockbox'd it? For me, using win 8.1 is a total fail, win 7 was better and managed to get the loading thingy goin BUT eventually failed when flashing the image. 

Need to find that elusive XP PC.

Have not received the item yet, but I will be relying on Windows 8.1...I'll let you know when I have tried it.

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #144 of 482
The difference is: Studio V 3rd Anv has more detail, better transparency, superior instrument separation, also leans brighter in tonality so it sounds clearer, however this isn't without the issue of hiss using low impedance IEM, something that will drive you absolutely batty if it's to much to handle (depends on the pairing), something IHIFI 760 doesn't have at all (no hiss). The HIFI has a warmer smoother tone to the mid range, which shows an emphasis in the lower mids to my ears, also better  layered soundstage than Studio V along with a pitch black background. it's weaker in separation and can only start matching the Studio's detail at rather high volumes or from line out (something the Studio doesn't have)

As for pairing with balanced armatures and dynamic IEM, they do both well, it's just the 760 needs a good 50-100 hours to open up and sounds it best imo. At first I didn't like the sound of balanced armatures with 760 they sounded dull and lifeless, however my opinion has changed putting hours on the player, and might I say I am not the firmest believer of DAP burn in the first place. My 760 stays paired with ER4S a lot of the time and very much so right now from line out.

The 760 has a specific timbre or tone to it's mid range that makes Studio V sound dry or sterile, for those who like a slightly warmer smoother sounding DAP 760 may be for you. it certainly pairs better with brighter sounding gear like Grado, ER4S, RE0, MDR-V6, etc etc...If the headphones to warm you may not get enough clarity from 760, unless pumping the amp section. if you can however balance out the tonality between your headphone and 760 it can work well. I'm using mine paired with JDS C421 (OP2227) at the moment. when I plug ER4S into this combination sounds far better than what the Studio can produce from headphone out. So keep in mind that line out there with 760 opens up a world of possibilities and adjusting the tonality / signature with amps.

This sounds absolutely great far better than both 760 and Studio V headphone out. Some of the cleanest, detailed, transparent sound I've heard.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #147 of 482
H20, thanks for your impresssions.

Did you have a chance to compare Studio V with ihifi 820 and 960?

I thought that Studio V has a line out i.e. the headphone out, when the volume is increased up to the maximum, functions as line out as well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #148 of 482
H20, thanks for your impresssions.

Did you have a chance to compare Studio V with ihifi 820 and 960?

I thought that Studio V has a line out i.e. the headphone out, when the volume is increased up to the maximum, functions as line out as well.

I have not heard 812 v2 or 960 unfortunately.

Studio V does have two input jacks on top of the casing, when looking at pictures it's often confused for line out jack so I will explain.

One jack is headphone out  (left) while the other jack  (right) is an amp input to feed from line out. Studio V's can be used solely as an amp this way. So they can double function not only are they DAP you can take advantage of just their amp section. You plug your line in to one jack and your headphone to 'headphone out' then adjust volume, just like using a portable headphone amplifier. Of course when doing this the DAP section is disabled.

So If I was to feed the line out of IHIFI 760 into Studio V it would look like this (Studio V being soley the amp)

You can however use the Studio V headphone out for amping (still double amping) however that setting you mentioned the Studio having seems to create unwanted distortion, it simply locks the player to MAX volume, nothing more that we can tell. Most of us who do amp the Studio units do not use that setting. Instead many of us agree there's a sweet spot around volume level 28/31 that works better.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #149 of 482
H20, I'm aware of this standalone amp function of Studio V, but I was told that if I plug one end of the jack-jack cable into the headphone out and the second one to the amp (and of course the headphones to the headphone out of the amp) and I increase the volume of Studio V to the maximum I will have Studio V's DAC signal to be amplified by the amp i.e. the line out (I guess this is how iRiver AK series line out works).

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #150 of 482
H20, I'm aware of this standalone amp function of Studio V, but I was told that if I plug one end of the jack-jack cable into the headphone out and the second one to the amp (and of course the headphones to the headphone out of the amp) and I increase the volume of Studio V to the maximum I will have Studio V's DAC signal to be amplified by the amp i.e. the line out (I guess this is how iRiver AK series line out works).

Yes that will work, that's what we do to get a line out from Studio V, but you're still double amping from the Studio's amp section. therefore it's not a true line out no matter what volume you use. The signal does not bypass the Studio's internal amp.

True line outs like IHIFI-760 bypass the 760's internal amp section feeding your external amp a clean signal from the DAC, something the Studio cannot do. It's like amping a Sansa Clip from headphone out, the same effect you're double amping. That's why we set the volume to 28/31 on the Studio's as full volume just seems to introduce unwanted distortion. I'm not sure on the AK line out configuration but I can tell you the Studio is not a true line out unfortunately. They amp rather well though, I've used mine with UHA760 and a few other amps like Traulcent T1, they perform well still regardless of double amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back