iGrado Teardown
Sep 27, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I would assume they're to add a tad more bass.

I just received a pair today from Todd. They sound great for the cost, but the headband is extremely frustrating. If you angle your head slightly upward, your neck or shirt collar pushes the speakers off your ears. If you lay down it once again pushes the speaker off your ears. The iGrado would be close to perfect if it was designed with the traditional over-the-head band.

They designed it this way on purpose. every other Grado was over the head; the company perceived that their customers wanted something different, so they gave them something different.

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #17 of 59
yeah, it's surprising how small the hd414 pads make the igrados look. i suppose i could dye them black and at least they won't look as bad. my coworkers today had already laughed at me about the big yellow pads. talk about putting the f in ugly.
blink.gif

as for the foam cover inside the enclosure, my first guess was that it's to hide the back of the driver. without the foam in place, the driver is pretty obvious and somewhat ugly. guess it wouldn't make a difference since the igrados are already pretty ugly already.

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

I would assume they're to add a tad more bass.

I just received a pair today from Todd. They sound great for the cost, but the headband is extremely frustrating. If you angle your head slightly upward, your neck or shirt collar pushes the speakers off your ears. If you lay down it once again pushes the speaker off your ears. The iGrado would be close to perfect if it was designed with the traditional over-the-head band.

wouldn't they be SR60 if they were designed with the traditional headband?

Sep 27, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #20 of 59
So... I guess driver transplant mods are out of the question. Those of us wanting to drop in SR325i drivers, No dice.

This thread pretty much seals that coffin...

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 59
While initial reviews of the iGrado talked about how different it was than the SR60, it seems like within about a month all the hard core Fi'ers are gonna have all the mods in place to restore this design (or at least get it much closer) to its SR-60 sibling glory.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 59
How do you fit the 414 pads around ear with clamping pressure of a streetphone?Would seem to be pretty uncomfortable.Someone mentioned theksc-75 pad as a possible choice.Would be great if someone could try the px100.hd414,and ksc-75(If They fit)pads and tell which works best.Thanks for your great photos and pushing me closer to getting an igrado(if only I didnt really hate streetstyle back of neck rubbing}

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:

SR60s that happen to be $20 cheaper. Works for me; how about you?

heh heh...sounds good to me. didn't the sr40 also use sr60 drivers? maybe that's the best solution for us although i don't recall hearing glowing reviews about it.

Sep 27, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
heh heh...sounds good to me. didn't the sr40 also use sr60 drivers? maybe that's the best solution for us although i don't recall hearing glowing reviews about it.

I seem to recal hearing that the sr40's didn't use sr60 drivers

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 59
i finally tried other pad combinations with the igrado.

first was the modded ksc35/75 pad. while this had the clarity of the hd414 pads, it didn't have the airy feeling of the hd414 pads. the culprit is probably the thickness of the ksc35/75 pads. they are quite thin and especially modded and stretched to fit the igrado, they become even thinner. this also led to problems with the igrado band resting on my ears too much and causing some pain.

second was the unmodded ksc35/75 pad. i think because of the thinness of these pads, they sounded almost like the modded ksc35/75 pads. they didn't have the airyness and was slightly more veiled. again, fit with these pads isn't great as the cans would mainly rest on the top of my ears. ouch!

last was the modded igrado pads with a quarter sized hole cut into the pads. i believe this is my final solution. initially i was reluctant about cutting up the new pads but considering that i disliked the veil and the congested sound that the stock pads caused, cutting them up wasn't too hard to accept. they provide the airyness and comfort of the hd414 pads with enough clamping pressure to keep the igrados from slipping down and having to rest on the top of my ears. the best thing is that i don't get laughed at by my coworkers anymore when they walk by my cube like they did when i was using the hd414 pads.

img0533co0.jpg

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #28 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i finally tried other pad combinations with the igrado.

first was the modded ksc35/75 pad. while this had the clarity of the hd414 pads, it didn't have the airy feeling of the hd414 pads. the culprit is probably the thickness of the ksc35/75 pads. they are quite thin and especially modded and stretched to fit the igrado, they become even thinner. this also led to problems with the igrado band resting on my ears too much and causing some pain.

second was the unmodded ksc35/75 pad. i think because of the thinness of these pads, they sounded almost like the modded ksc35/75 pads. they didn't have the airyness and was slightly more veiled. again, fit with these pads isn't great as the cans would mainly rest on the top of my ears. ouch!

last was the modded igrado pads with a quarter sized hole cut into the pads. i believe this is my final solution. initially i was reluctant about cutting up the new pads but considering that i disliked the veil and the congested sound that the stock pads caused, cutting them up wasn't too hard to accept. they provide the airyness and comfort of the hd414 pads with enough clamping pressure to keep the igrados from slipping down and having to rest on the top of my ears. the best thing is that i don't get laughed at by my coworkers anymore when they walk by my cube like they did when i was using the hd414 pads.

Nice one - someone had to be the first to cut into those pads - I feel I may be following your example soon. I agree with you that in terms of fit and comfort the original pads, because of their thickness, are the best - in this sense PX100 pads are just like the ksc35/75 pads, they also cause the headband to rest on top of the ears, which does raise some comfort issues, even if it doesn't bother me that much.

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverCans
do they stay on your head when say jogging?

I just got mine today, right went i was leaving for the gym. I listened to them for 2 mins then changed the pads to the ksc75 pads. As stated in another thread, these are quite the tight fit. PERFECT for the gym. I ran for about 15 mintues, and though very sweaty they stayed firm. I finally found my ideal Gym phones. I am burning them in as i type, to soften them up a bit. I am not very used to the grado sound.
EDIT: after looking at your pictures i think im going to cut my stock pads. After the gym i bought some ratshak pads for 4.50, I dont know what to do with them yet. What did you use to cut the pads?

Sep 28, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaBoLoUsRmX
EDIT: after looking at your pictures i think im going to cut my stock pads. After the gym i bought some ratshak pads for 4.50, I dont know what to do with them yet. What did you use to cut the pads?

i just used a quarter, centered it on the pad, pressed down to compress the foam and used an x-acto knife to cut around the quarter. quick and easy. if you don't lift the knife during the cutting process, it comes out really clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back