iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #1,756 of 1,768
May 1, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #1,758 of 1,768
I purchesed a 5V 1.2A Meanwell power supply. But sometimes my iFi Zen DAC v2 is stopping the sound until I turn it off and then back on again. Works perfectly from USB...My friend lent me his iFi iPower2 power supply and it works perfectly.
Why does it not work with the Meanwell power supply?
With the installation of the new firmware 7.5, the problem was solved. :)

May 1, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #1,759 of 1,768
Jun 4, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #1,763 of 1,768
I just got the ZEN DAC V3 to add to my setup. Streaming from my Mac mini using Tidal, which maxes out at 24/192. Is that what I should set my settings to in MIDI settings for my MAC? Or should I set it to the max capabilities of the ZEN DAC, which is PCM 768khz?

If you want bit perfect always (and I don't know if the ZEN 3 is bit perfect or upstreams like on GTO filter on the V1,2) on a Mac, you should get this:

https://github.com/vincentneo/LosslessSwitcher

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #1,766 of 1,768
So this is an odd use case, but I want to run my HiBy R4 through the Zen DAC. I notice it lights up when I plug my HiBy in, but no sound. Not surprising, I didn't expect the HiBy to be able to power it. I assume an external power supply will let me run the HiBy through the Zen DAC? Hopefully it isn't a driver thing. I want to play music from the HiBy to my desktop speakers. I am currently going Mac Mini > Zen Dac > SMSL SA300 amp > KEF Q150. I use a KVM switch to go back and forth between my work computer and Mac Mini, and if I could not have to switch back and forth while working and just use the HiBy instead it would be easier.

EDIT: Not sure I changed anything, but this works now with no extra power supply. Pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #1,767 of 1,768
I have finished my review of the iFI ZEN V3 DAC. I am posting the written section here so you don't have to click over to my site. If you want to see the full review with test graphs and interpretations its all at

https://www.euphonicreview.com/lansdale/ifi-zen-dac-v3-third-time-is-the-charm

When the sun dips below the horizon and the world quiets down, true audio aficionados know it’s the perfect time to indulge in their favorite tunes. Enter the iFi ZEN DAC V3, my nocturnal companion in this auditory adventure. In this review, we'll explore whether this sleek little device lives up to its promise of delivering high-fidelity sound that could make even a bat envious of its precision. Join me as I dissect the ZEN DAC V3’s performance, unravel its quirks, and see if it truly enhances those cherished nighttime listening sessions.

One of my very favorite easy entries into to the high fidelity head-fi world is the iFi ZEN DAC V2. It has a more than capable DAC with a unique architecture that lends to its beguiling good sound at its low price. The built-in headphone amp is also of good quality, with an impedance and gain matching function called 'Power Match' that widens the range of headphones it can drive well. Even some typically harder to drive, high impedance headphones will respond decently well.

The ZEN V3 is more of the same, but better. The DAC section is the same as before, and measurements show there is not much of a new story to tell here, although subjective experience says there is just a bit more refinement to the sound. What is truly an upgrade here is the headphone amp. Just as with the previous V2 version, the Power Match feature does this piece of kit a great service, as it does the ear a great service. I found no difficulty driving higher impedance headphones, and low sensitivity models such as the Hifiman HE-560 had more than adequate drive.

Continuing on the features front (click here for more details about the iFi ZEN DAC V3 feature set in whole), three large changes I will highlight are the change to USB-C input, the upgrade of the headphone amp processing, and the addition of DXD 2x and DSD512 capability.

The V2 had a bass boost called 'TRUEBASS', which was basically a shelf EQ that lifted the frequency response from 200hz down to 20hz. The V3 has the 'XBass+' feature, which is like the more refined processing found in the ZEN Can Headphone Amplifier. It is a more nuanced and natural sounding effect that really enhances the listening experience, especially if you are a basshead. Or maybe you just feel like some extra groove one day without overdoing it. 'XBass+' is your ticket.

Another major feature change is just part of an industry standardization to universal usage of USB-C. I don't like it. Call me and old man resistant to change as I approach 50, but I already have a slew of USB cables and I am a bit resentful knowing eventually they will all have to be changed to these little smart phone sized connectors. We are doing quite well, though, that this is my only nitpick worth mentioning about the iFi ZEN DAC V3. I even like its slightly darker, multi toned color scheme. It really looks good. iFi aesthetics have really come a long, long way from a decade ago with the introduction of the iDAC. (Click here for a trip down legacy lane.)

Finally, there is now an option for DXD 2x and DSD512 playback. As there are no native DXD 2x or DSD512 recordings I can think of, this is a feature directed at the growing set of audiophiles who are using programs like HQplayer to upsample all their music to 768khz, or DSD512 and higher to achieve performance that the onboard DAC cannot achieve with its own oversampling filters. I did do some experimentation on my own, and I can confirm that DXD 2x and DSD512 playback worked perfectly with HQPlayer via direct PC connection. (HQPlayer also works perfectly with the iFi ZEN STREAM, which has its own dedicated HQPlayer mode. However, the STREAM is limited to transmission of DXD 1x and DSD256.)

SO HOW DOES SHE HUM ALONG, CAPTAIN?

Once you have a look at the measurements at the end of the review, you might conclude the ZEN V2 and ZEN V3 sound exactly the same. This would be an incorrect assumption, especially via the headphone output. Nor is the sound difference limited to the headphone output. The sound is a notable step upward from the V2, which was already my go-to standard in this price range. And still would be even if the price were somewhat higher.

The following listening impressions were using the V3 powered by its 5v USB bus through an Intona USB 2.0 Galvanic isolator, and with a ZEN Can headphone amplifier with neither of the analog processing enhancements activated for the majority of the evaluations. The 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced connection was used to connect the ZEN DAC V3 to the ZEN CAN amp. Playback source was Roon connected by both direct PC connection with WireWorld USB cables, and via the iFi ZEN Stream connected via ethernet and a WireWorld USB cable.

I started with "Django" from " European Concert, Vol. 1" by The Modern Jazz Quartet in FLAC at 192khz 24bit. The opening setting is extremely atmospheric with an excellent sense of stage. The Vibraphone has a luscious and full tone, with vibrato swells rendered to perfection. Bass is not too strong, not too light, and has an excellent sense of its own playing space with good separation across the soundstage. The Upright Bass follows in parallel with the piano, but does not dominate the line. The ZEN is good enough to render the piano slightly farther back in the soundstage that the Bass, but at the same time allows the excellent musicianship that can fool the listener into the two merging into one organic instrument. Before the drums kick in, the tiny detail of someone moving in their seat, which adds to the charm of this excellent track, is rendered just a naturally as if one was there in the midst of the recording space. I am not 100 percent sure which chair makes the noise, but the precise imaging suggests it’s the drummer changing his posture as he is getting ready to play. There is resolution measured on paper, and there is ‘musical’ resolution that is important to actual listening, and this is a fine example. As the drums make their entrance, the quartet is completed, and the ZEN V3 unfolds the soundstage as well as anything in recent memory, including many more expensive products. The drum brushes timbre is spot on, not sounding too bright and thin, nor too flat, lifeless and undetailed. Natural is the word of the day. One could listen to this for hours and hours and never experience any fatigue whatsoever. At the same time, one would not be left wanting for any sense of detail or resolution.

I next turned to "Sibelius Works for Violin in Orchestra", Ondine label mastered by 2XHD in DSD64 'from original DSD recording', listening to a remaster of Pekka Kuusisto playing Sibelius' "Humoresque no. 1 in D minor" along with the Tapiola Sinfonietta. Normally this kind of recording, with its massive chain of conversions and DSP, is not my cup of tea. I must admit however that there is some kind of voodoo in what 2x mastering engineers did, because there is such an abundance of texture, timbre, and an intangible presence or weight in the instrument sound that one just ‘knows’ when it is heard.

The mastering process begins with an original Ondine label DSD64 master, converted to analog by an unnamed Digital to Analog Converter. This analog signal is sent through a “high-end tube preamplifier” before being re-recorded in DXD by a DCS 905 ADC, and is redistributed in either DSD or PCM at 24/192.

On paper, it seems they make a mess of things. Not so much to the ear. Via the ZEN DAC V3, I can hear the very distinctive individual timbre of Kuusisto’s violin. Even the best violins on most recordings take on a somewhat generic sound, but not this time. There is a distinctive slight ‘grain’ in the timbre, which is full bodied, never thin. It is heavy on the overtones. Exactly what my ears like to hear, measurements or accuracy be damned. Either the original recording started this way, or the re-mastering process is responsible, but the soundstage here is quite intimate and a bit small, however the violin centerpiece is never intimate and small. It dominates your attention and draws you in. The ZEN DAC V3 takes what is on this recording and paints it tonally in the best of light. Just out of curiosity, I did some research on what kind of violin Kuusisto may have been playing that night, as its tone struck me so deeply. It isn’t his ‘Scotta’ violin made by Stradivari in his ‘Golden Period’ ca. 1709. Even still, my curiosity was piqued. Even if not the Scotta Strad, it is a world-class instrument. (I wonder if Stradivari, if alive today, would be greatly insulted if told his instruments didn’t measure well enough. Not enough SINAD, Vecchio Uomo.) Frankly while using this track for review, I simply got lost in the music, the player and the instrument and its collective pure beauty. I think that says all I need to say about the role of the ZEN DAC V3 in this case. It transmitted the music, which is all I can ask of any piece of gear and at the same time is the highest compliment I can give.

Finally, I needed to audition something that ‘rocked’ a bit to see how the DAC handles lesser recordings with a wall of sound. I went to Tidal and cued up Lil’ Wayne’s duet with Nicki Minaj “What’s Wrong With Them”. There is nothing audiophile here. However, the ZEN DAC V3 completely holds it composure. The powerful bass track never overwhelms or affects the vocal tracks, whether main or backing track, in any way. The ‘wall of sound’ is powerful, yet everything stays in its lane, so to speak. Lil’ Wayne’s rapping is as clear and articulated as anyone could ask. Often I find hip-hop mixes to be too bright. I think these guys doing the mixing are often half-deaf from too many years grinding their way to the top in the clubs. I guess its a price to be paid.

There is nothing bright here in this Lil' Wayne mix. It sounds about as natural as a modern processed track can sound.

To this point in time, as mentioned earlier, I was listening via the ZEN CAN, bypassing the ZEN DAC V3 headphone amp. The reason I began auditioning this way is to get a baseline comparison with other DACs in my collection that occupy a similar price tier in the market. To get a handle on how good the onboard headphone amp is, I switched at this time, and re-auditioned a couple tracks. Headphones were still the Sennheiser HD650.

Lil’ Wayne’s track “What’s Wrong with Them” sounded essentially the same, however, it was not presented with quite the same ease. His lead rap didn’t stay quite as precise and centered in the mix, and the tone of his voice wasn’t quite as consistent. Bass was not quite as strong either, that is, until I took the first opportunity to try the ‘XBass+’ feature. (I had used the original XBass feature on the iCan while auditioning this track.) IMPRESSIVE. Now the sound was much more like what I heard through the iCan. Not only did the XBass+ feature increase the power of the bass without any added bloat or boom, it seemed to have the side effect of creating more precision in the track overall. It still didn’t reach the level of refinement of the ZEN Can, but it was impressive nonetheless.

The Sibelius Humoresque still sounded quite good through the ZEN DAC V3 onboard headamp, but the violin didn’t quite jump out at me like it did via the ZEN iCan. It was still a very, very sweet sound with most of the same good qualities I heard through the iCan.

There is a rumor that a new ZEN ICan is possibly on its way to us as well. If it matches and even slightly exceeds the pairing of the ZEN DAC V3 with the current iCan, then that will be possibly the head-fi value of the year.

CONCLUSION

Don't be fooled into thinking my criticism of the ZEN V3 onboard headamp compared to the dedicated ZEN headamp is a negative critique. The reality is the onboard headamp is as good as in any integrated piece I have heard at this price. It is an upgrade from the ZEN Z2, and the 'XBass+' processing is a big part of that. Its contribution to the overall presentation is very impressive. Overall the iFi ZEN DAC V3, in spite of its many similarities with its predecessors, is a worthwhile upgrade. If you already own the V2, you know as I do how already very, very good it is. Normally I would suggest waiting another generation before you will find any significant upgrades. In THIS Case, I would suggest just go ahead and upgrade now. I find the ZEN V3 to simply be an exceptional player of music, and at this price range I can only think of products with similar fidelity that DO NOT have a built-in headphone amp of any kind, no to mention one that might have one as high quality as this! Well done iFi.

EASY PICK FOR EDITOR'S CHOICE STATUS.

OUR RATING: (0-10 scale. 8 or higher numbers represent best of industry. For the final score calculation, each category is given a (undisclosed) weighting and is tallied for final score. Although perfect 'fairness' is unlikely, our system tries to be as unbiased as possible.

sound quality: 8.9
build quality: 9.0
ease of use: 9.5
measurements: 8.8
value: 10.0

TOTAL RATING: 91.7

MEASUREMENTS

As is the usual case with iFi products, measurements are consistent, very good, and have no 'red flags' to indicate any issues. iFi creates very well thought out and engineered products.

Frequency Response (20hz to 20khz): dB -0.35, +0.01
SNR: -117.8db A-weighted
THD: -110.3db / 0.000305%
THD+N: -100.7db / 0.000923%
IMD: -108db / 0.000398%
JITTER: 40.4ps Peak / 13.6ps RMS
LINEARITY at -100db: <0.1db error
LINEARITY at -111db: <0.5db error
LINEARITY at -115db: <2db error
THD+N Multitone 32 Test: -95.3db / 0.001718%

DSD64 THD+N: -100.7db / 0.000923%
DSD128 THD+N: -100.5db / 0.000944%
DSD256 THD+N: -94.8db / 0.00182%
DSD512 THD+N: -87.5db / 0.004217%

DSD64 JITTER: 74ps Peak / 35.4ps RMS

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #1,768 of 1,768
Hello!
IFi Zen DAC V2 - loud crackling noise when playing music. Software player - USB AudioPlayer Pro, BubbleUPnP. Crackling sound when playing 256, DSD 64, when playing PCM Qobuz. There were problems with the firmware from the store 7.4, the problems remain after flashing 7.5c. What could this be connected with? Is this a defect of the device itself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back