ifi micro usb power supply a quick review
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

buson160man

1000+ Head-Fier
I have recently purchased the ifi micro usb power supply to use on my dedicated desk top set up. I primarily use my desk top to watch Netflix movies over my desk top set up. The set up consists of a teac ud-501 dac feeding a pair of emotiva airmotiv 5(original versions) active monitors.
 I use the front panel attenuators on the speakers  to control the volume. I am using nordost heimdall v1 balanced interconnects to feed the dac from the ifi micro usb power supply which is between the computer tower and the teac dac. I am using a nordsot brahma power cable on the teac ud-501 dac. I am using a pair of emotiva power cables from emotiva to replace the stock cords that came with their speakers . I am using a audioquest cinnamon usb cable
    The difference this power supply has made in the two weeks I have been using it is amazing. The gains in clarity , dynamics , the solidity of the sound and soundstage is eye opening. The differences are anything but subtle. My desk top set up has never sounded anywhere as good as it is sounding with the ifi micro usb power supply. Things are also dramatically more quiet revealing details that I have never heard on my desk top set as well .
    I am totally enjoying the ride . The insertion of the power supply in my chain has made watching Netflix movies a lot more exciting and rewarding. There is no way I can go back to the dirty polluted power coming from my desk top computer. The difference the upgraded power supply makes is like night and day .
   I now consider the ifi micro usb power supply essential if you want to get the best sound on your desk top set up.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 4
 Well after another night of break in watching Netflix this amazing addition to my desk top set up is just plain fantastic. The clarity of the sound and resolution just keeps getting better and better. I am watching the rocketeer on Netflix and the impact of the sound is incredible. The sound is very realistic in just about everyway that I can describe.
  This is becoming a rave review. I now consider the ifi micro usb  power supply as absolutely essential if you want to hear just how capable your desk top dac is. My teac ud-501 dac is blowing me away. Netflix has never sounded anywhere near as good as it is sounding now in my desk top set up.
    Well it is time to go back to Netflix and the rocketeer.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Well yesterday I decided to jump in all the way and I purchased the ifi usb cable for the micro power supply. I hooked it up yesterday and began watching some Netflix on my desktop set up. After just two or three hours the difference in sound quality of my desk top set up is becoming even more amazing. The change seems to me even bigger than the change with just the ifi usb power supply.
  Anyone thinking they have heard the benefit of the usb power supply they have not until they hear the complete package and the full benefit of what the usb power supply can really do.  After hearing the combination there is just no way I can go back . The benefit of isolating the usb power from the signal is very apparent when you hear it. My desk top set up sounds just sublime when I watch Netflix movies on it . I use to have a full blown 5 speaker home theater set up with B&W speakers and a denon 3806 receiver along with a martin logan depth sub. From what I remember the sound quality of my desk top set up is flat out superior to what my old 5.1 set up sounded like. Even though it is only a two channel set up I am hearing much better resolution on my desk top set up .Off course the bass just can not match the output and depth from the martin logan sub but everything else sounds better with my active desk top monitors.
   I highly recommend the ifi usb power supply and Gemini usb signal cable for anyone who wants hear excellent sound on their desk top set up.
 Believe me you will not be disappointed.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 4
It is day 2 of the usb cable break in period and things are definitely getting better. The increase in my desk top sound systems dynamic range is huge. I am utterly dumbfounded in how dynamic my emotiva airmotiv 5 active monitors are sounding. Frankly I would never have thought that they could sound like they do now. The addition of the Gemini usb cable is just plain unbelievable. Save for the limited bass extension by the size of the monitors I could not imagine the impact that the Gemini has made on my desk top system. Actually it is hard to believe they only go down to 52 hertz they certainly do not sound limited in bass performance.
  After hearing the combined performance increase by the coupling of the ifi usb power supply and the Gemini usb cable I cannot believe anybody would feel disappointed in the performance provided by the combination.
  In fact I saw a couple of postings in head fi selling the ifi usb power supply. Personally I think they are nuts for selling it. Maybe they never bought the usb cable for them that is the only way they could consider selling it. This sounds like a rave review but after hearing the combination in my set up it is definitely staying put in my set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back