iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #496 of 592
Dropping in to say I just tried out the iDefender, and the results were surprisingly pleasing--much better than the Jitterbug. I went ahead and replaced the Jitterbug with the iDefender and put the Jitterbug in the adjacent USB port (haven't tested out the difference between no JBug in adjacent port vs none, not terribly interested).

The biggest improvement was better clarity, the music has more breathing room and the sounds are noticeably more distinct; the sound is slightly less harsh, too. It doesn't thin out the bass like the JBug does, which was a deal breaker for the latter device.

Definitely worth $50, while the JBug is not.

My setup:
PS Audio Duet power conditioner + PS Audio Noise Harvester in second outlet > Xonar Essence One DAC + Yulong Sabre A28 balanced amp (using Cardas XLR connectors, Cardas Fatpipe balanced headphones Cables for Sennheiser HD 800's, >$150 audiophile power cables, and anti-vibration isolation feet and RCA noise caps in unused ports) > Uptone Regen + iPower power supply > iPurifier 2 > iFi Gemini USB cable (power cord disconnected/unused) > iDefender + JBug in adjacent USB port

As you can see, lots of tweaks to clean things up, and I have to say the cumulative results are very satisfying. Pretty sure the iDefender is the last tweak...until the new Uptone Regen comes out...for which I may eventually buy a superior power supply...and the balanced iFi iCan Pro would probably be a nice step up for the amp...ugh, who am I kidding it never ends :wink:

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #497 of 592
Dropping in to say I just tried out the iDefender, and the results were surprisingly pleasing--

Get a bit confused with the overlap of the devices.

What exactly does it have that iP2 does not ?

I thought those 2 USB dongles were like the iP2s offering split in half ,only offering part of what iP2 has in each one ?

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #498 of 592

I thought those 2 USB dongles were like the iP2s offering split in half ,only offering part of what iP2 has in each one ?

Yeah, wasn't my post but I incorrectly thumbed it up. Got the iDefender and the iSilencer mixed up. I use a Jitterbug and iP2 but you're not the only one confused by all these usb cleaners.

Haven't used the iDefender but, according to iFi, it bypasses usb power making any usb output more like a data only connection to keep away any ground loop noise. Fine if your dac doesn't require usb power otherwise you'd need to inject (wall) power to the iDefender. Completely different from any of the iP2's features

I think the iSilencer is most similar to the Jitterbug, both being jitter reducers, and would have made a more accurate comparison.The iSilencer has iFi's  Active Noice Cancellation tech and rebalances the signal while the iP2 has both those features plus reclocking and regeneration.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #499 of 592
Heyas folks, just posted my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-ipurifier-2/reviews/18357

beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #501 of 592

As far as what it can do for my setup, the only difference is that it's a jitter reducer and uses USB 3.0 instead of 2.0...and the JBug in the adjacent port might actually be contributing to the SQ increase.

The improvement is subtle, but it's there for sure...not entirely sure why.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #503 of 592
  Is it redundant when I have Singxer DDC?
Or it is independent?

Our iPurifier2 and iUSB3.0's (plus iGalvanic3.0) are devices that address USB signal integrity specifically for isochronous (audio/video) connections. Please Google our 'USB Audio Gremlins Exposed: Beyond 1s and 0s, by iFi Audio' material to know more.

Thus they potentially benefit any audio (or USB video) device that is connected via USB, disregardless if they are DAC's or USB based DDC's, even if said device does not use bus power.

Just how big improvements are will depend on the system and we generally recommend prospective customers to try the product in their system by ordering from a source that will accept "no questions asked" 30 day returns, as our experience is that few units are returned.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #506 of 592
Quoting my question from the other thread since this one seems more active:
  Hi guys, I'm hoping to prepare for an upcoming vacation soon, so that would be great if someone can give me some insigt:

* Since I already have the Wyrd, would you recommend getting either the iSilincer and/or iPurifier?
  - If so, which one, or would both be helpful combined with Wyrd?
  - Or would the iSilincer + iPurifier be better instead of the Wyrd?
* Since my laptop has USB3, I wouldn't need the iDefender, right? (just confirming)

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #507 of 592
  Quoting my question from the other thread since this one seems more active:

I believe the iDefender is just for preventing ground loops so unless you're hearing such a noise through your laptop it's probably not needed.

Never tried the Wyrd but the iPurifier 2 covers most of the bases: active noise canceling, jitter reduction, reclocking, rebalancing and regeneration. All without external power but it doesn't provide linear power like the Wyrd. But both devices work best closest to the dac so unless you plan to replace the Wyrd (or want a smaller regenerator) the iP2 might be a bit redundant.

Since your Wyrd also handles regeneration adding the cheaper iSilencer direct to the laptop for jitter reduction, ANC, and rebalancing might be the best combo option.

Hope this helps.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #508 of 592
Maybe a bit overkill, or redundante but works fine together (iSilencer + iPurifier2), since I hade one iSilencer left and unused I simply put it in the chain.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #509 of 592

I believe the iDefender is just for preventing ground loops so unless you're hearing such a noise through your laptop it's probably not needed.

Never tried the Wyrd but the iPurifier 2 covers most of the bases: active noise canceling, jitter reduction, reclocking, rebalancing and regeneration. All without external power but it doesn't provide linear power like the Wyrd. But both devices work best closest to the dac so unless you plan to replace the Wyrd (or want a smaller regenerator) the iP2 might be a bit redundant.

Since your Wyrd also handles regeneration adding the cheaper iSilencer direct to the laptop for jitter reduction, ANC, and rebalancing might be the best combo option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Looks like actually the iPurifier 2 would suit my rig better than the iSilencer, for the reason that my current home rig uses the Wyrd + Singxer SU-1, of which the description of the SU-1 more closely matches the iPurifier, and both together do a tremendously impressive job together. I just need a smaller setup though for long traveling. But the iPurifier is more expensive than I was shooting for... does anyone have a used one they would consider to sell?? Please PM me if so, THANKS

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #510 of 592

So, what did you conclude?

I have an Uptone REGEN w/ a 7v linear PSU, as well as an iFI iPurifier 2.

I've been experimenting with these in series with my Bel Canto REFLink. Currently, I am using: MacBook --> REGEN --> iP2 --> REFLink --> Bel Canto DAC 2.5.

I am pretty sure my REFLink isn't drawing any 5v power from USB, so this chain is what I've read to be recommended by iFI Audio.

I really didn't like the jitterbug, sold it a few days after getting it.

The regen worked nice with the ipurifier, added weight and clarity, dropped the noise floor, no complaints at all, it's a great piece of hardware for a very reasonable price.

Right now I'm using the regen attached to the ipurifier, my system sounds really nice, much better than what used to sound with ipurifier alone and light years better than without any of them.

Here's a pic of my DAC:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back