iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 3, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #151 of 592
I understood that ifi Audio initially recommended it go just ahead of the DAC but then found it sounded better still ahead of the USB power if you are using one. So you can use it just before the DAC and it will provide an improvement. I don't know about the Wyrd but quite a few folks are combining the iP2 with the Audioquest Jitterbug and find they work well in combination (including me).

Oops, missed the quote for clarity. So How are you configuring them. Which device is plugged into which? Are they stacked at the DAC and if so in which order?

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #152 of 592
I understood that ifi Audio initially recommended it go just ahead of the DAC but then found it sounded better still ahead of the USB power if you are using one. So you can use it just before the DAC and it will provide an improvement. I don't know about the Wyrd but quite a few folks are combining the iP2 with the Audioquest Jitterbug and find they work well in combination (including me).

Oops, missed the quote for clarity. So How are you configuring them. Which device is plugged into which? Are they stacked at the DAC and if so in which order?

Read back up the page to post #142

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #153 of 592
Hi guys, I have to ask again about fit. Would the iPurifier 2 with the USB A plug fit into the iDSD with the original purple RCA cable next to it. Did anyone try that? See here:

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #154 of 592
Yes it will. I had that set up until ifi themselves suggested moving the iP2 to just ahead of the iUSB where it works even better. You will have to use the black adaptor though.........

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #155 of 592
thanks for the reply, unfortunately I was hoping not to use the adapter. I not a big fan of stacking multiple items because I think that has an impact on sound quality. So my recent RCA cable is to big and I thought the original ifi cable would be able to have the item fitted directly next to it. I guess its just a bit to tight at the back of the iDSD... but then i don't really understand why the iPurifier 2 was designed with a USB A plug, I thought it would be to fit items like the iDSD?

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #156 of 592
I share your exact concerns and have expressed them to ifi Audio directly. There are to be USB B versions of the iP2 be manufactured (also USB C and USB micro) but I am not sure when they will be available but I guess you could ask. I was going to hold on for one myself but when I was told the iP2 worked better just ahead of the iUSB then it works of course without needing the adapter so I am happier in that regard. It is weird though that ifi cable needs an adapter to fit into the IDSD...........maybe we could start a campaign?  

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #157 of 592
  I share your exact concerns and have expressed them to ifi Audio directly. There are to be USB B versions of the iP2 be manufactured (also USB C and USB micro) but I am not sure when they will be available but I guess you could ask. I was going to hold on for one myself but when I was told the iP2 worked better just ahead of the iUSB then it works of course without needing the adapter so I am happier in that regard. It is weird though that ifi cable needs an adapter to fit into the IDSD...........maybe we could start a campaign?  

ha,I think I am beyond campaigning :wink:. I expressed concerns when the iDSD USB input port was changed last minute to acommodate mobile users, which is a nice feature, but for me the micro iDSD was always a Desktop to "mobile in bedroom" device but never something i would bring on the road or the bus. I was going to buy the micro iUSB plus the Gemini cable but when the input port was changed this decision became redundant for me due to incompatibility. Since then I have sticked with the blue USB cable and was hoping this device (the new iPurifier) would "bridge the gap" to USB B with some improvements but if it does not fit there is nothing i can do. I am still a happy owner of the iDSD but since I am always looking for some little straight performance tweaks its a bit disappointing in that regard that I can neither fit a different USB cable nor the new iPurifier. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #158 of 592
The iUSB is still a worthwhile improvement but I believe the new iUSB3 has all the iP2 tech built in. So if you are mainly using the iDSD on your desktop via a laptop it will really let the iDSD work at its best and no need for hellish adapters.......... 

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #159 of 592
  The iUSB is still a worthwhile improvement but I believe the new iUSB3 has all the iP2 tech built in. So if you are mainly using the iDSD on your desktop via a laptop it will really let the iDSD work at its best and no need for hellish adapters.......... 

I hear you but then again what cable are you running from the iUSB3 into the iDSD? There is still the input port on the iDSD which does not accept the MERCURY cable for example, just the blue one or any other "USB extension" cable.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #160 of 592
I only have the iUSB 2 as I don't have USB 3 ports on my laptop and the iP2 almost bridges the difference. So my system goes Laptop to Mercury to iP2 to iUSB to Gemini to crappy adapter to iDSD to HD700/800........although right now I have the iCAN micro SE  in situ which is on loan and goes back tomorrow.
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #161 of 592
  I hear you but then again what cable are you running from the iUSB3 into the iDSD? There is still the input port on the iDSD which does not accept the MERCURY cable for example, just the blue one or any other "USB extension" cable.Th

Having to use the adapter does not negate the effect of IPurifier2 or iUSB/iUSB3. Plus you can use what you've bought on other DACs now and in the future.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #162 of 592
I hear you but then again what cable are you running from the iUSB3 into the iDSD? There is still the input port on the iDSD which does not accept the MERCURY cable for example, just the blue one or any other "USB extension" cable.

Another option could be Forza Audio Works. They make custom cables or adapters. I just had them make me a super short usb cable with separated signal/data lines. They really did a great job. I also saw a post by someone who wanted a high quality adapter and they were very pleased with the result. Ifi audio had recommended them to me. You might wanna throw them an email.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #164 of 592
Another option could be Forza Audio Works. They make custom cables or adapters. I just had them make me a super short usb cable with separated signal/data lines. They really did a great job. I also saw a post by someone who wanted a high quality adapter and they were very pleased with the result. Ifi audio had recommended to me. You might wanna throw them and email.

nice one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back