iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jun 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #4,006 of 9,047
My new ZMF Blackwoods (T50RP drivers) sound great out of the micro IDSD, Musicality, imaging, punchiness, and sparkle get taken up another notch compared to my Note 3 and iPad2. Power on Normal (IEMatch off, obviously) has the volume knob at 10-11 o'clock for moderate levels and 12-1 o'clock for LOUD.

My Note 3 attaches to the top of the micro nicely with 3M SJ4570 low profile dual lock tape and phone cover. I just pop the phone in when I want to use it. Without the rubber feet, my unit doesn't lie flat (out by 0.5mm), but with the feet it's fine. Loosening the screws on the endplates and pressing down on it while retightening them didn't help.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,007 of 9,047
Correct, but he refered AC adapter, they have more power output. Thech suport informed me to not use more then
2.4 A, because it would be to much.
But in reality, blue cable is enough, when always conected, it barely discherges. Eco, normal mode. Turbo not much too. So usb port 3.0, is very good already.

I was also talking about an AC/DC converter.

jxhyde Yes, it should charge just fine via USB while using S/PDIF.

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #4,008 of 9,047
My new ZMF Blackwoods (T50RP drivers) sound great out of the micro IDSD, Musicality, imaging, punchiness, and sparkle get taken up another notch compared to my Note 3 and iPad2. Power on Normal (IEMatch off, obviously) has the volume knob at 10-11 o'clock for moderate levels and 12-1 o'clock for LOUD.

My Note 3 attaches to the top of the micro nicely with 3M SJ4570 low profile dual lock tape and phone cover. I just pop the phone in when I want to use it. Without the rubber feet, my unit doesn't lie flat (out by 0.5mm), but with the feet it's fine. Loosening the screws on the endplates and pressing down on it while retightening them didn't help.

Clever idea, thank you!
My volume pot is quite skewed, but fortunately it still works alright. I waited a long time for the vendor to ship my iDSD and if I wasn't worried that I would have to wait the same time again, I would have sent it back for a repair/replacement.

While on the topic of these kind of tricks, I have a pencil eraser (from the top of a refillable pencil) in the gap for the gain switch to stop it from being slid up when taking it in/out of my pocket. I simply cut it down to size with a razor and made sure it wasn't pushing hard-up against the switch.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #4,009 of 9,047
Just got the iFi Micro iDSD today and it sounds great. Using it as a standalone DAC with my Schiit Lyr. I have some (probably stupid) questions.

Does the iFi Micro iDSD have a USB 3.0 connection? I used the adapter that came with it to hook my normal USB cable to the Micro. Will I benefit from buying a Audioquest 3.0 cable to replace my normal Audioquest A-B usb cable?

Do the 3D and Xbass effects work when it operates as a standalone DAC? Have tried it but I'm pretty far from the DAC so it's hard to tell if it works or not. Don't have my headphones on when I switch them on and not familiar with the soundsignature yet. 
rolleyes.gif
  (but I don't hear difference as far as I can tell).

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,010 of 9,047
  Just got the iFi Micro iDSD today and it sounds great. Using it as a standalone DAC with my Schiit Lyr. I have some (probably stupid) questions.

Does the iFi Micro iDSD have a USB 3.0 connection? I used the adapter that came with it to hook my normal USB cable to the Micro. Will I benefit from buying a Audioquest 3.0 cable to replace my normal Audioquest A-B usb cable?

Do the 3D and Xbass effects work when it operates as a standalone DAC? Have tried it but I'm pretty far from the DAC so it's hard to tell if it works or not. Don't have my headphones on when I switch them on and not familiar with the soundsignature yet. 
rolleyes.gif
  (but I don't hear difference as far as I can tell).

The 3D and XBass from the RCA outs were designed with speakers in mind :) I tried it before with headphones and an intermediary headamp. Results weren't good. If you seriously feel the need to use the 3D or XBass feature with headphones but with an external amp, I would prefer double amping. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #4,011 of 9,047

The 3D and XBass from the RCA outs were designed with speakers in mind :) I tried it before with headphones and an intermediary headamp. Results weren't good. If you seriously feel the need to use the 3D or XBass feature with headphones but with an external amp, I would prefer double amping. 

Yeah don't really care about it, but it's normal that those features don't work in direct mode when you use a other amp?

I also have active speakers (have them hooked on the preamp of the Lyr). Can I use it then? Or do I have to put it in preamp mode (but then you get double preamping, right?)

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4,012 of 9,047
I'm finally getting around to commenting on the iFi iDSD micro. I have both the Micro and the Nano. The Nano is impressive in its own right for less than 200 slams, but the Micro gives what I experienced as an honest view into ultra high end digital audio. I have not had the occasion to hear the likes of EMM, etc, so I cant pretend to know what the ultra high end actually sounds like in my system. This little DAC sounds SO good that I feel that I have been blessed with a TASTE of what those folks with means will obtain for their $100K works of art. That was my initial first impression and I still appreciate that now after 20 hours or so of listening. Second - I really like having the choice of filters etc. Very well done. They do make a difference in the sound. With my Maggies that is HUGELY appreciated due to the nature of the planar highs etc. (if you know horns then you know what I'm talking about). 

More specifically about the SOUND. Its hard to describe because it has so many great qualities, it seems wrong to analyse it. But here goes.... First - musical, well defined and spacious. Piano sounds like the instrument, etc, etc. As far as jitter I would say its a non issue. It seems like we will all stop talking about jitter at some stage if DAC's cont to progress like this one has. CD resolution music sounds... well GOOD! I havent experienced that with any DAC to date. Redbook has always been a trade off for me. Convenience and great transients and dynamics, but not REAL musical. Again, this DAC will change what people think about digital. Its that good. For under half a $K its really a GREAT buy. Other high end kit makers should use this as an example. You could get hung up on the compromises they had to have to pack it all in a small form factor. No biggie. For those of us that will probably never own a $5K DAC, this puppy is a no brainer.  

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #4,013 of 9,047
I like iFi micro so much, it have no problem playing DSD at all, before that i was using Cayin N6, sometime it cant play ISO DSD. On top of that i was using HD800 even Cayin N6 that claim have 13op amp can't drive it properly. With micro no problem at even, i even try it on Beyer T1(loan from cousin) it work like charm.  I did audit Hugo Chord but the price blow me away.  Btw is there any firmware update for micro?

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #4,014 of 9,047
  Yeah don't really care about it, but it's normal that those features don't work in direct mode when you use a other amp?

I also have active speakers (have them hooked on the preamp of the Lyr). Can I use it then? Or do I have to put it in preamp mode (but then you get double preamping, right?)

1. yeah it's normal if the sound is weird
2. yeah double pre-amping

you can max out the volume pot of the iDSD when on pre-amp and "Eco" That's essentially the same 2V as from Direct with just a slight degradation of quality

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #4,015 of 9,047

Headphone Out:

XBASS works

3D Holographic for Headphones works

RCA Out - Direct Mode:

No XBASS

No 3D

RCA Out - Preamp Mode:

XBASS works

3D Holographic for Speakers works

You cannot get 3D for Headphones from the RCA outputs. If you want to use an external headphone amp and still get 3D for Headphones, you should buy a micro iCAN.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #4,016 of 9,047
Headphone Out:

XBASS works

3D Holographic for Headphones works

RCA Out - Direct Mode:

No XBASS

No 3D

RCA Out - Preamp Mode:

XBASS works

3D Holographic for Speakers works

You cannot get 3D for Headphones from the RCA outputs. If you want to use an external headphone amp and still get 3D for Headphones, you should buy a micro iCAN.

Thanks man, that helps! My setup is pretty complex. I want to listen both digital (dac) as analogue (turntable) through my headphones and active speakers. The iCAN doesn't offer enough inputs, so I'll just keep it the way it is with the Lyr :wink: I'm happy the way it sounds now with the Micro anyways!

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #4,017 of 9,047
Okay, having a bit of an issue with the Micro. I can't seem to play any 24/48, 24/96 or 24/192 files on Audirvana with the Micro. I don't get sound or I get sound from one channel if I'm lucky. 16/44.1 works like a charm. Any solutions?

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #4,018 of 9,047

Where did you get that little connector cable you are using between the two units? I need to get something like that too.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #4,019 of 9,047
Its a generic regular micro USB OTG cable (L shaped jack), mostly between 6 to 10 cm long (costs 5 to 10 EURO). You can buy on all shops you want.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #4,020 of 9,047

HPiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where did you get that little connector cable you are using between the two units? I need to get something like that too.

As h1f1add1cted /img/forum/go_quote.gif said, it's a generic OTG cable I picked up at the big electronics market we have here in Taipei. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guang_Hua_Digital_Plaza
It took me a while to find a store that had cables with L-shaped micro USB connectors. I think it's pretty much identical to this and most others on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/niceeshop-Degree-Female-Converter-Adaptor/dp/B00871Q5PI/

My searches have come up with nothing for a similar cable with L-shaped connectors on both ends (male-to-males exist, but not the male-to-female the micro needs). I work at a computer company and a colleague sourced some female USB 2.0 upright SMT sockets that I'm going to use to convert the female end to L-shape, so I don't have to worry about stressing the cable, or bumping it loose. I've seen heat shrink elbow boots on industrial websites, but I doubt I could get just a few for a reasonable price. So I'll probably finish it off with a hot glue and cloth tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back