iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 16, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #961 of 9,047

Then GradoSound's gripe about having to install a driver is a non-issue. I doubt that iFi ever received a trouble ticket from anyone just because they didn't like the idea of installing a driver for their iFi/AMR DAC, and they surely received plenty with the DoP thing.

although i have to say there are some universal drivers like this one

http://www.aqvox.de/asio-usb-e.html

which do seem to be compatible with multiple DACs, so the question is if the AISO drivers that are part of the manufactures driver package would work on their own for other DACs

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #962 of 9,047

although i have to say there are some universal drivers like this one

http://www.aqvox.de/asio-usb-e.html

which do seem to be compatible with multiple DACs, so the question is if the AISO drivers that are part of the manufactures driver package would work on their own for other DACs

That is a is based on a proprietary driver technology. This driver does not have low latency which was one of the key reasons that Steinberg originally created the ASIO( Audio Stream Input/Output ) protocol for digital audio work for use with their music production software. Having low latency was important  at the time with MIDI keyboards which used to drive me nuts in the early days of music production work. I also had Giga Studio which uses their own proprietary driver technology which only certain sound cards will work with it.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #963 of 9,047

No (they neither confirmed nor denied it), but you keep making it sound like the solution to the problem doesn't exist, when it actually does exist, it only has to be implemented by more companies, including iFi.

There is no current fix, one we can implement today.

Besides, an ASIO driver for Mac only solves the issue on that platform.  It does not solve the DoP problem on iOS or android devices.  I use all three for music players with my Micro iDSD.  I'd much rather they found a fix for the DoP pop in the device itself.  iFi-audio assures me they are working diligently to find a fix.  Cross your fingers.

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #964 of 9,047

There is no current fix, one we can implement today.

Besides, an ASIO driver for Mac only solves the issue on that platform.  It does not solve the DoP problem on iOS or android devices.  I use all three for music players with my Micro iDSD.  I'd much rather they found a fix for the DoP pop in the device itself.  iFi-audio assures me they are working diligently to find a fix.  Cross your fingers.

I'd prefer if they provided a fix (or at least a workaround of some sorts) to the buggy DoP protocol as well as ensured compatibility with Mac ASIO DSD mode that is currently available on Decibel and HQPlayer, as I would much rather bypass Core Audio altogether.

Sep 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #965 of 9,047

I'd prefer if they provided a fix (or at least a workaround of some sorts) to the buggy DoP protocol as well as ensured compatibility with Mac ASIO DSD mode that is currently available on Decibel and HQPlayer, as I would much rather bypass Core Audio altogether.

Audirvana + has the option that allows you to choose Apple CoreAudio or iZotope 64-bit SRC.

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #968 of 9,047
Does anybody know where iFi products are manufactured?  I know iFi's parent company is AMR based in the UK, and am assuming this is where the products are designed as well.  This thread has been quiet the last few days.  Maybe it's just the first 512 people being too absorbed listening to exceptional micro iDSD.
darthsmile.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #972 of 9,047
A small comparison to the micro iDSD sneaked in by Michael Lavorgna in his review of the $1999 Pro-Ject Stream Box RS:

"The overall sound picture was also a bit more condensed as compared to these other more costly separates and also compared to my MacBook Pro with the iFi micro iDSD. This combo also offered a bit more variation in timbre, the Stream Box being not as rich-sounding, as well as an overall brighter, livelier sound. (Lavorgna, 2014)"

http://www.audiostream.com/content/box-designs-pro-ject-stream-box-rs

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #973 of 9,047

I was fortunate to be able to pick up a lightly used micro iCAN recently, and can confirm that it partners up really nicely with the DAC section of the micro iDSD. As others have said, you get more 3D and XBass options, giving an even richer and more enveloping sound.

Listening to a 24/192 needledrop of the latest Ryan Adams album with these two together, and it sounds just fab.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #974 of 9,047
I have an update.

I sent back my iDSD Micro  for changing of the board regarding my channel imbalance. The new board POT has a smaller amount of imbalance HOWEVER there is NO MORE PCM HISS in bit-perfect mode. I don't know if the new board has a newer firmware or it's different hardware?

I can't remember exactly but my new board has a gold plated USB smartcharging out female plug. Can someone verify if the series 1 boards have just silver usb plug? This could mean new hardware. (I know the digital in male plus is gold plated).

Overall very very happy with my iDSD Micro and kudos to James @ Avatar Acoustics for fixing it for me in a very timely manner with new a perfect product!

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #975 of 9,047
I have an update.

I sent back my iDSD Micro  for changing of the board regarding my channel imbalance. The new board POT has a smaller amount of imbalance HOWEVER there is NO MORE PCM HISS in bit-perfect mode. I don't know if the new board has a newer firmware or it's different hardware?

I can't remember exactly but my new board has a gold plated USB smartcharging out female plug. Can someone verify if the series 1 boards have just silver usb plug? This could mean new hardware. (I know the digital in male plus is gold plated).

Overall very very happy with my iDSD Micro and kudos to James @ Avatar Acoustics for fixing it for me in a very timely manner with new a perfect product!

Mine is gold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back