iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #886 of 9,047
​Yesterday I did use the Micro iDSD till the battery flat, and then I connected it to charger immediately. It was charging normally by the indication of constant blue LED. And this morning the blue LED was off, I thought it has been charged to full (after about 10 hours charging). But when I turned it on, the LED blinking in green.

​I tried to charge it again, when connecting to my USB charger, the 2A output of Antec Quad Port USB Charging Station (UA4-25), that I've been using to charge my Micro iDSD for about 2 weeks, the LED lighted up in blue for a few seconds, and then turned off. So I wasn't be able to charge it. I also tried to charge it using my PC USB port, same behavior, LED lighted up in blue for a longer period, maybe about 30-40 seconds, and then the LED turned off.

When using USB power, connect it to USB port while in OFF state, and then turn it ON, it works normally as USB DAC.
But as stand alone DAC using SPDIF, it doesn't work.

Have you tried running via USB power and then switching back to battery?

I have no such problem on mine ATM thought I suggest you to open a ticket for it
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes. Tried many times. Doesn't work.

According to what I read, flashing green means the device is waiting on a USB input signal.  Red is battery low and no light means battery is empty.  Your battery should be fine.  Check your USB connection or try a different source.

Hopefully my battery is still fine, just wrongly entered into shutdown mode according to this info on ifi:
http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/smartpower-please-feed-the-meaty-monster-part-1/

So far the battery cannot be activated, and keep in shutdown mode.

It was unfortunate for me that my micro had issue with the PCB which makes the volume become quiet in comparison to the initial state. I contacted iFi and quickly got the replies. I sent the micro back to iFi to have the PCB replaced. Hopefully I will have it back next week.

I would vote an 4.9/5.0 for their customer service (-0.1 is for the unfortunate issue :smiley:). Over the years, the service is among the top services that I have experienced. :thumbsup:

Right! I agree, ifi support I would rate 5/5. Mike from ifi has sent me pm, and will help me to solve my problem.
Well, let's see. I will update here later.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #887 of 9,047
The rather loud pop I am hearing (and complaining about) is when the iFI Micro iDSD switches from PCM to DSD modes or changes DSD sample rates (ie. DSD64 to DSD128).  This is with three music player apps on the Mac, PureMusic, Audirvana+, and JMRC.  I just downloaded and installed JMRC 20 (latest version) for the Mac this morning and still get this rather loud pop.  It is not reduced in any way, it is still loud if you have the volume turned up!  I have tried every configuration option in JRMC to quiet or reduce it, nothing helps.

If there is some obscure JMRC configuration that will 'substantially reduce' this annoying crackle-pop sound please let me know!

Alternatively, if there is a way to play native DSD music on a Mac and/or iOS device without using DoP I would love to hear about it.

Same loud DSD-related "pop" problem here on DoP with OSX Mavericks (v10.9.4) and Audirvana Plus (v1.5.12). I reported the problem to iFi via a support ticket and was informed that a firmware fix is in the works (albeit with no timetable for release).

The DoP pop is so loud on my Micro that I fear it could damage my headphones or loudspeakers. Hence, for the time being, I will only play PCM files (or DSD converted to PCM) when I use the Micro with my OSX MBP.

Luckily, I also have a Windows 7 laptop with JRiver v20, and the Micro works fine playing DSD with iFi's Windows-only ASIO driver. (As an experiment, I tried DoP with JRiver for Windows and got the same loud pop as I did on OSX with A+. No settings within JRiver did anything to eliminate or reduce the pop.)

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #888 of 9,047
  ​Yesterday I did use the Micro iDSD till the battery flat, and then I connected it to charger immediately. It was charging normally by the indication of constant blue LED. And this morning the blue LED was off, I thought it has been charged to full (after about 10 hours charging). But when I turned it on, the LED blinking in green.

​I tried to charge it again, when connecting to my USB charger, the 2A output of Antec Quad Port USB Charging Station (UA4-25), that I've been using to charge my Micro iDSD for about 2 weeks, the LED lighted up in blue for a few seconds, and then turned off. So I wasn't be able to charge it. I also tried to charge it using my PC USB port, same behavior, LED lighted up in blue for a longer period, maybe about 30-40 seconds, and then the LED turned off.

When using USB power, connect it to USB port while in OFF state, and then turn it ON, it works normally as USB DAC.
But as stand alone DAC using SPDIF, it doesn't work.

Yes. Tried many times. Doesn't work.

Hopefully my battery is still fine, just wrongly entered into shutdown mode according to this info on ifi:
http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/smartpower-please-feed-the-meaty-monster-part-1/

So far the battery cannot be activated, and keep in shutdown mode.

Right! I agree, ifi support I would rate 5/5. Mike from ifi has sent me pm, and will help me to solve my problem.
Well, let's see. I will update here later.

The speed at which the green light flashes determines whether it is a battery issue or just waiting for a signal.  Try this, unplug every thing from the USB input and turn the unit off.  Then turn it back on and insert a 3.5mm cable into the front input jack.  If the light turns solid green your battery is fine, if it continues to blink fast then you are correct that the battery has a problem.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #889 of 9,047

The speed at which the green light flashes determines whether it is a battery issue or just waiting for a USB signal.  Try this, unplug every thing from the USB input and turn the unit off.  Then turn it back on and insert a 3.5mm cable into the front input jack.  If the light turns solid green your battery is fine, if it continues to blink fast then you are correct that the battery has a problem.

I've been using Micro iDSD as stand alone DAC without USB connection, only SPDIF input from my DAP, and I always get solid green LED. Not this time, LED is blinking green, no sound when connected to SPDIF.
Now using it as USB DAC with USB power, and it works fine driving my Hifiman HE5-LE. So at this state, it doesn't work without USB power.

Tonight I will try to connect it to charger again and leave it for the whole night. I hope I will get the steady blue LED after sometime.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #890 of 9,047

I've been using Micro iDSD as stand alone DAC without USB connection, only SPDIF input from my DAP, and I always get solid green LED. Not this time, LED is blinking green, no sound when connected to SPDIF.
Now using it as USB DAC with USB power, and it works fine driving my Hifiman HE5-LE. So at this state, it doesn't work without USB power.

Tonight I will try to connect it to charger again and leave it for the whole night. I hope I will get the steady blue LED after sometime.

Just asking for this quick definitive test, as it is possible from your statement that the unit may not getting a signal on it's SPDIF input.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #891 of 9,047
Not sure what the question is. Mine works on all inputs and the led does change color. But some daps do odd things as a transport. Mu hibino needs to be set to native not selecting and PCM resolutions when selecting dsd for play back . If I do select any I get no sound and it blinks. But the output is not dsd it's PCM so this makes no sense but it is this way. Now if I select PCM and a resoloituon it's fine and it plays as shown. Hope this helps .
Al

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #892 of 9,047
i made my choice, the 10 DSD album i have will be pretty much it. SACD was the better delivery format but never got a good start. Playback of digital download DSD is just to buggy. PCM works fine for me. I think DXD files like from many 2L releases might be the way forward

If you say so...

Btw, is 2L still the only label in the entire world that releases DXD stuff?

Personally, I couldn't care less about DXD, the files are huge, and not even PCM, when you consider the fact they are all recorded with Delta Sigma converters.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #893 of 9,047
Is the xbass and 3D working if used as a dac to feed an other amp ?

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #895 of 9,047
In preamp mode can I use my headphones plugged in my tube amp using the idsd micro as a dac and use those 2 functions anyway ??

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #896 of 9,047
3d + xbass :cool:

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #897 of 9,047
If you say so...

Btw, is 2L still the only label in the entire world that releases DXD stuff?

Personally, I couldn't care less about DXD, the files are huge, and not even PCM, when you consider the fact they are all recorded with Delta Sigma converters.

well right now i have the setting switched on my Vortexbox to convert DSD to PCM because of the loud pop. Whats the point of that? I could have purchased a PCM file in the first place. If DSD only works in certain setups like JRiver than its not working for me with my current setup. DXD is a PCM like signal.

for me practicality is key, I want to play my music without any interferences and without recabling my system to a different source if i want to play certain files. at this high quality level of resolution i don't expect pops or noises. We will see what the future brings.. :)

PS: at least the micro iDSD does PCM, DSD and DXD, so the user can choose the best format for each individual setup

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #898 of 9,047
In preamp mode can I use my headphones plugged in my tube amp using the idsd micro as a dac and use those 2 functions anyway ??

I already answered you question. What do you not understand?

As I said already, 3D and XBASS are active in pre-amp mode through the RCA outputs.

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #899 of 9,047
3d + xbass :cool:

There is one more thing to say here.

The 3D through the RCA outputs (in pre-amp mode) is "3D for Speakers", not "3D for Headphones".

There is no way to get "3D for Headphones" from the RCA outputs.

So if you use an external amp, even a tube amp, the 3D will sound wrong on headphones as it is designed for speakers.

Edit: I could go on to say that anyone wanting 3D and also wanting to use an external headphone amp should buy a micro iCAN. My experience so far is that the micro iCAN does sound better than the micro iDSD alone, particularly in the bass. The XBASS and 3D on the micro iCAN are also less subtle and more effective than those on the micro iDSD.

Edit 2: for users of the beyerdynamic T1, the micro iCAN is a perfect match (I was going to say 'match made in Heaven' but I don't want to offend people who might be upset by the concept of Heaven :rolleyes:)

Sep 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #900 of 9,047
Hi everyone
First time poster from new member from Australia.

I am proud owner of idsd micro. Just a few issues I want to clarify.

1. I am getting channel imbalance at low volume. I understand the volume pot is analog but is it connected to digital step attenuator? Then it shouldn't have this problem.

May I ask how many owners have the low volume channel imbalance problem?

2. This brings me to another issue of using it in preamp mode to control my power amp. Is there a way to adjust gain so I can use higher volume position so I can have balanced channel when listening at low volumes at night through my speakers.

My volume pot doesn't become balanced until 10 o'clock position.

Thanks in advanced.

Toan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back