iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #7,366 of 9,047
  A lot of this stuff however may be easier to be incorporated into PD2.0 and USB-C etc (maybe? idk) (e.g. master vs slave negotiation based on who was turned on first is part of how my nexus6p phone works). So here's another question for you guys: do you guys plan on doing PD2.0+USB C for your next iteration of mobile friendly DAC/Amps?

We always look far into the future but at this point we won't confirm or deny anything 
smile.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 14, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #7,367 of 9,047
What's the default position of the direct vs pre-amp switch? I'm using the idsd as my dac/amp for my headphones and I think the switch may have moved from its original position but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #7,368 of 9,047
  What's the default position of the direct vs pre-amp switch? I'm using the idsd as my dac/amp for my headphones and I think the switch may have moved from its original position but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Pretty sure it doesn't really matter if you are not using the RCA outs to another amp or similar. I have mine set to direct because I use it as a DAC for my iCan Pro.

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #7,369 of 9,047

Thanks

It doesn't really matter if you're using it as a pure amp/DAC. Otherwiss, if you can still control the volume when using RCA to another amp, you are using pre-amp :wink:

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #7,370 of 9,047

Thanks

If you are going to an external amp - you'll want to set a fixed line-out volume (from rear RCAs), so you set it to direct.  If you are going direct from read RCA to powered or passive speakers, and want to use the pot on the iDSD to control the speaker volume, you use pre-amp. Its a superb option if using the iDSD as predominantly a desktop DAC/amp.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #7,371 of 9,047

We always look far into the future but at this point we won't confirm or deny anything 
smile.gif

Fair enough. I AM looking forward to a usb-c DAC/Amp, hopefully whenever that becomes a thing.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #7,373 of 9,047
A USB-C cable might do just that :new_moon_with_face: Or am I wrong :/

It'd be a lot easier done if the actual DAC has USB C input. USB C handles master-slave negotation a LOT better IMO, especially when talking about mobile devices. IT works a lot like the ifi idsd micro. When I plug my nexus6p into my usb-c battery pack (C to C cable) the one providing power depends on which one I turned on first. So if i turn on the battery THEN plug it in, it charges the phone, if I plug it in THEN turn on the battery it takes power from the phone.

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #7,374 of 9,047
It'd be a lot easier done if the actual DAC has USB C input. USB C handles master-slave negotation a LOT better IMO, especially when talking about mobile devices. IT works a lot like the ifi idsd micro. When I plug my nexus6p into my usb-c battery pack (C to C cable) the one providing power depends on which one I turned on first. So if i turn on the battery THEN plug it in, it charges the phone, if I plug it in THEN turn on the battery it takes power from the phone.

Being out of date with recent technology makes me feels really old :/ but indeed USB-C would be an interesting implement for the audio. I have a feeling thought, it would be slower to implement it than other technologies like smartphones/camera/laptop etc IMO

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #7,375 of 9,047
I couldn't hear much difference on IEMs with Xbass but gave a HD6XX a try. It significantly increases the bass. This is Xbass 'on' and 'off';

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #7,377 of 9,047
What's the best portable music player to pair with the Micro iDSD if I want to use the player only as source of the music? 

Shanling M1

Sony A15

There are more expensive options but they don't add anything much in this use case.

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #7,380 of 9,047
What's the best portable music player to pair with the Micro iDSD if I want to use the player only as source of the music? 

You could also get a cheap Android phone and USB Audio Player Pro. You also gain the ability stream from Tidal and Spotify - something you can't do on a DAP costing less than $500 (the Cayin N5).

Some Android phones are a little dodgy, some work great. Just have to do your research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back