iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 24, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #4,202 of 9,047

Thanks @iFi audio
 for posting about the new firmware.

Might be a good idea to also post the official method of flashing the firmware to minimize errors.

And remind people that it only works fully with the latest iFi USB driver v2.23 so anyone still using v2.20 will have to upgrade.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm running the v2.20 driver on my XP system (v2.23 wouldn't work). So no FW upgrade for me.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,203 of 9,047

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm running the v2.20 driver on my XP system (v2.23 wouldn't work). So no FW upgrade for me.

I may have to wait on the upgrade too.

V2.23 wouldn't install on my Win8.1 laptop but 2.20 worked. Have to see if I can get 2.23 working on another machine plugged into my UPS (don't wanna risk a bricked Micro).

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #4,204 of 9,047
I upgraded yesterday both the USB driver and IDSD firmware updates and not a problem on Windows 8.1?

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #4,205 of 9,047
I am using the micro in a 2 pc streamer w/ WS2012/AO/JPlay. Also using Kernel Streaming for playback.

Firmware V4.10 upgraded smoothly and is a big hit here. Gone is the annoying huge pop I was getting at the beginning and end of DSD playback. I think it also improved sound quality a little. I am detecting a bit more depth and improved imaging. Even small SQ gains are appreciated.

Kudos on the firmware 4.10 upgrade. Thanks, ifi.  :)

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,206 of 9,047
And remind people that it only works fully with the latest iFi USB driver v2.23 so anyone still using v2.20 will have to upgrade.

I'm on Mac but have a rather old laptop running Windows 7 Professional SP1.
v2.23 wouldn't install, tried verbal times but ended always with an error. So I installed v2.20 after my attempts without uninstalling previous version, letting the setup do it for me.
I then tried the upgrade and to my surprise, it went flawless!
So I don't know where this requirement for v2.23 does come from...

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #4,207 of 9,047
I don't think 2.23 works with all systems that run Windows 8.1. It does install fine but the USB driver is not loading (see screenshot). I tried both update from 2.20 and uninstall 2.20 first, same thing. 2.20 is running just fine on my ASUS 8.1 laptop, but not 2.23. On my other HP laptop with Windows 7 - 2.23 is running great, I plugged iDSD to that machine to upgrade the firmware.

iFi would need to look into this issue at some point of time.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #4,208 of 9,047
The SUPRA USB 2.0 Cable was recommended to me. I'm a bit of a cable skeptic in general, but I can see how different impedances could affect the colour/signature or analog signals. Was highly doubtful that a USB cable could make a difference, but they have one at my local headphone shop.

I first bought a cable at the local electronics market for US$2.50, then went to the headphone store and connected my ThinkPad the iDAC2. Listened with my ER-4Ss (P-to-S adapter) and ran through a few tracks. Totally not expecting to hear any difference, imagine my surprise when a small detail that I hadn't heard before ​in Adele's Set Fire to the Rain became apparent. I quickly switched back to the el cheapo cable and the detail was there, but not as clear and not in the same place spatially. Ambient noise level was pretty high in the store, but the Etys knocked it down to a whisper. I didn't do an extended comparison, but the bass seemed not boosted as one review said. I found it possibly a bit tighter. Who'da thunk it? Digital cables make a difference. Albeit a very small difference.

​I guess if I was spending 4 figures on a DAC and/or putting together a 5 figure 2-channel system, I'd go the extra yard on "quality" cables. But 25x the price for <1% improvement isn't justified in my situation, especially since the iDAC2 is for office use. However, I may consider having someone like Forza do a custom OTG cable for my micro iDSD.​ 

Any recommendations on who can do a a hi-fi version of my self-modded OTG cable?

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,209 of 9,047

I did the firmware update last night on a Win7 pc running v2.23 of the driver (had the same issue w/ 2.23 on Win8.1; had to install 2.20 on it).

The update failed the first couple times until I put the Micro on battery power (as in turned it on before plugging in the usb cable). Then the updated worked. Just a heads up to anyone having a similar difficulty.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #4,210 of 9,047
I did the firmware update last night on a Win7 pc running v2.23 of the driver (had the same issue w/ 2.23 on Win8.1; had to install 2.20 on it).

The update failed the first couple times until I put the Micro on battery power (as in turned it on before plugging in the usb cable). Then the updated worked. Just a heads up to anyone having a similar difficulty.

Had a similar dificulty instaling driver on a older computer. Will try again. Thanks for the info.

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #4,211 of 9,047
Tried myself the iDSD - iTube - iCan chain and what an amazment. A bigger diference then i thought and was reviwed before. Those class A amps make the sound quite fuller then on the iDSD, mantaining all the details.
It takes both SS and tubes advantages at the same time.
Will play with gear more, and make my personal review on the chain.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,212 of 9,047
After v4.10 upgrade my iDSD is no longer going into "sleep" state when USB powered from my Mac (the LED is no longer starting to blink after a certain time without playing). Anybody else the same behavior?

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,213 of 9,047
guys why with neutron player on android the light indicator is always yellow on ifi

why is this upsampling always on how can i prevent upsampling

Jul 27, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #4,214 of 9,047
  guys why with neutron player on android the light indicator is always yellow on ifi

why is this upsampling always on how can i prevent upsampling

Tell us about your setup first before we can help.

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #4,215 of 9,047

Users who are viewing this thread

Back