iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #4,141 of 9,047
I gave up trying to make foobar2k work with DSD files and installed JRiver. Interface is really busy, but at least it handles all audio formats effortlessly.

In case anyone wants to try out some DSD recordings, I found some free (short) contemporary piano samples on this Japanese website (English version):
http://wechdomi.org/english/index.html

There's a DSD512 file upsampled from a DSD256 recording, and recordings at various other bitrates. Download speeds are pretty good.

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #4,142 of 9,047
Any of you experienced Apple CCK dying suddenly with the micro iDSD? 2 CCKs died successively on me, prolly just around 2 hours of listening apart.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #4,145 of 9,047
Any of you experienced Apple CCK dying suddenly with the micro iDSD? 2 CCKs died successively on me, prolly just around 2 hours of listening apart.

Happened to me a few weeks ago with a lightning CCK. Actually it didn't die as such, rather the iPhone complains that the CCK uses too much power when I plug it in - as good as dead as far as connecting it to the iDSD is concerned though! Will buy a new CCK at some point, which is irritating as I only bought this one at the end of last year.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,146 of 9,047
I hadn't listened to music through my Micro for a month or more and hooked it up to the iMac last night - JH16's and some lossless tunes... The separation and soundstage on this is just wonderful. Just a great sounding amplifier/DAC - black background and a ton of power - not that JH16's need power, but the amp controls the drivers so well. I am not a big fan of EQ with headphones - although I used to EQ everything back in the day - but I enjoy the 3D switch on this device - not always, but with some material it works really well. Too big to be portable, but on my desk it is a blast.

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #4,147 of 9,047
I had to return a CCK after 4 hours with the iDSD.  The second CCK has been working fine for 3 weeks now.

Maybe a QC issue by Apple? The 1st CCK lightning has been with me for a year. Then it died, then the new one just died 2 days ago while plugged into the micro iDSD and iPhone 6+. I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something to trigger/cause it?

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #4,148 of 9,047
Happened to me a few weeks ago with a lightning CCK. Actually it didn't die as such, rather the iPhone complains that the CCK uses too much power when I plug it in - as good as dead as far as connecting it to the iDSD is concerned though! Will buy a new CCK at some point, which is irritating as I only bought this one at the end of last year.

Even if you turn ON the micro iDSD first before plugging the CCK into the iPhone?

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #4,149 of 9,047
Away for a family reunion this week and let some relatives who love good music listen to the stack of iBASSO DX90 into the iDSD Micro into the iCAN Micro through my Sennheiser HD-650s, AKG 550s & 545s and they were were all completely blown away.

A couple of them even showed enough interest/patience for me to run through a direct iDSD Micro to headphones setup and we're still mightily-impressed with the sound quality. Played DSD albums of Holst, Roger Waters, and Pink Floyd. Had to make sure that my equipment didn't leave our room with them! :D

Viva La iFi!

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,150 of 9,047
Yes
Even if you turn ON the micro iDSD first before plugging the CCK into the iPhone?

Yes, even then. It appears to be an issue with the CCK and iPhone suddenly no longer wanting to play together. The only thing I can think of is how the CCK cable bends when the phone is placed directly on top of the iDSD - over time this may stressing the cable in a way that is was not designed to deal with.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,152 of 9,047
Just wondering if someone used the coax output from iDSD Micro?

I ordered a basic FiiO D/A converter from Amazon for $26.99 to connect the coax output from iDSD to the converter and feed its analog output signal to my subwoofer. This D/A converter has 24bit/192kHz that should basically work for 99/9% cases. I currently output the analog signal from the iMicro headphone output directly to the subwoofer line input which is not the best way to do. I do not want to split my line out that goes to the Elekit TU8200DX tube amplifier already in order to feed a second line in for subwoofer. Splitting a line out is not a recommended idea due to impediance, resistance, crosstalk and other reasons.

If I play DSD or other hi-resolution format, for instance, what digital format does the coax output signal produce from iDSD Micro? Will it downconvert it to 24/192 by chance? It would be great if it does that.

How does it perform in general in terms of signal stability, possible signal delays, no audible ticks or clicks, etc? For instance, if I feed the analog to the amplifier and digital to the converter then subwoofer, will everything sound in sync? Any other possible recommendations how to connect a subwoofer to the iFi Micro maybe?

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #4,153 of 9,047
If I play DSD or other hi-resolution format, for instance, what digital format does the coax output signal produce from iDSD Micro? Will it downconvert it to 24/192 by chance? It would be great if it does that.

Thanks!

If you play DSD, you will get nothing from the S/P-DIF coaxial output.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #4,155 of 9,047
  Is it safe to change various configuration of the iDSD during playback, i.e. which switches are safe to move during the playback?

All switches are safe to move around, provided you lower the volume first when playing around the power mode and IEMatch switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back