iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Mar 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #3,256 of 9,047
  so will there be a new firmware released soon

i dont know how many times must i ask about if there will be a firmware update , could IFI rep gracefully honourably humbily answer this , it will take you ifi 2 seconds to reply

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #3,257 of 9,047
  i dont know how many times must i ask about if there will be a firmware update , could IFI rep gracefully honourably humbily answer this , it will take you ifi 2 seconds to reply

Hi,

We do apologise as we missed your question/posts - we try our best to follow the several iFi threads but cannot guarantee that we catch every question.

If we do miss anything, please do not hesitate to PM us or email us or send a quick message via the website. As you know, upon logiing in, head-fi automatically notifies "you have a new message". We definitely wont miss that.

To answer your question, the new firmware has passed the iCLUB beta tests and is in the final stages of R&D testing. So it is a matter of days rather than weeks.

We try not to release anything until it is "soup". 
regular_smile .gif

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #3,258 of 9,047
  I've decided to go this route as well... Mp3 and Redbook flac get upsampled to DSD256, while the rest are played at their respective native resolutions.  It seems several others on the web share these same thoughts. 

Regarding DoP (DSD over PCM). My understanding in the context of our discussion, is to allow 96 and 192khz files to be converted to DSD during playback - not a new file format that gets stored on your HD.
Thanks for the response.
beerchug.gif

It was my understanding (thus far) that, if a file can't be upsampled on the fly (like 48/96/192khz in foobar) or to get dsd playback via pcm on some devices, then another file format (container) like DoP is needed. I believe the DoP container is like pre-converting the file which can then be played back "natively" on the device while the Micro picks up the dsd info.

To my knowledge, the iDSD Micro doesn't write anything to the hard drive when upsampling lower res files.

I may try converting a few files to DoP and see how it works.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #3,259 of 9,047
I have another question regarding the Micro and a rather strange problem. Occasionally Windows 7 will suddenly lose the ability to play audio through the unit (e.g. system sounds, video sounds, game sounds etc), but I can still play music through it fine via ASIO and the unit is still listed in the device manager. Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable fixes it.

I suspect the problem has to do with USB power somehow. In my Power Options settings:

- Sleep and hibernate are turned off
- USB selective suspend is off

I am running the Micro from a USB2 port straight from the mobo.

I read on Schiit's site (item 3 here: http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems) that a similar problem was solved by running the unit from a mains powered USB hub; would that be of any help in my case too?

If iFi could shed some light here I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,260 of 9,047

Hi,

We do apologise as we missed your question/posts - we try our best to follow the several iFi threads but cannot guarantee that we catch every question.

If we do miss anything, please do not hesitate to PM us or email us or send a quick message via the website. As you know, upon logiing in, head-fi automatically notifies "you have a new message". We definitely wont miss that.

To answer your question, the new firmware has passed the iCLUB beta tests and is in the final stages of R&D testing. So it is a matter of days rather than weeks.

We try not to release anything until it is "soup". 
regular_smile%20.gif

Cheers.

thanks so much

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #3,261 of 9,047
  I have another question regarding the Micro and a rather strange problem. Occasionally Windows 7 will suddenly lose the ability to play audio through the unit (e.g. system sounds, video sounds, game sounds etc), but I can still play music through it fine via ASIO and the unit is still listed in the device manager. Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable fixes it.

I suspect the problem has to do with USB power somehow. In my Power Options settings:

- Sleep and hibernate are turned off
- USB selective suspend is off

I am running the Micro from a USB2 port straight from the mobo.

I read on Schiit's site (item 3 here: http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems) that a similar problem was solved by running the unit from a mains powered USB hub; would that be of any help in my case too?

If iFi could shed some light here I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

The same happens to me in Windows 8 (mine shows a red "x" over the lower right audio icon while upsampling in foobar).

Most times I can correct the problem by simply closing foobar (not sure if you're having the problem while your music player is open and/or closed). I've also disabled usb power management in control panel (if that helps).

Make sure you've also disabled all other audio sources in bios and device manager (think windows gets confused otherwise).

Doesn't work 100% though; sometimes have to close/re-open the browser/game after closing foobar for it to work.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #3,262 of 9,047
Hi guys,
Can anyone give me some notes on how amp section of idsd micro stands in amps' world?
Is it on the level of lyr, or lyr2 or asgard2 or vali or O2 or m-stage or ...
I don't want a deep comparison, just a general comment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,263 of 9,047
Hi guys,
Can anyone give me some notes on how amp section of idsd micro stands in amps' world?

Thanks

Other than the O2, the Schiit offerings you mentioned will outperform the built-in amp of the iDSD significantly. The DAC section of the iDSD is marvellous, but the amp section unfortunately prioritizes power delivery over sound quality. It is a flat (as in soundstage flat), dry amplification section. It does power anything and everything headphones, but it won't sound the best. Using it as a DAC in direct mode and connecting the back RCA to a dedicated desktop amp will significantly outperform using solely the iDSD as DAC and Amp.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #3,264 of 9,047
Other than the O2, the Schiit offerings you mentioned will outperform the built-in amp of the iDSD significantly. The DAC section of the iDSD is marvellous, but the amp section unfortunately prioritizes power delivery over sound quality. It is a flat (as in soundstage flat), dry amplification section. It does power anything and everything headphones, but it won't sound the best. Using it as a DAC in direct mode and connecting the back RCA to a dedicated desktop amp will significantly outperform using solely the iDSD as DAC and Amp.

I love the Schiit gear but I don't think I would concur that the Asgard2, or even the Lyr2, would outperform the iDSD amplifier section across the board.

I am sorry to disagree with you man.  I am not looking to start trouble on this thread.  The bigger amplifiers surely get you something above the iDSD's amplifier but not the Asgard2 or Lyr2.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #3,265 of 9,047
  Hi guys,

Thanks

Just add the ican if you're looking to improve the amp section. I did and was very impressed with the addition. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #3,266 of 9,047

I am sorry to disagree with you man.  I am not looking to start trouble on this thread.  The bigger amplifiers surely get you something above the iDSD's amplifier but not the Asgard2 or Lyr2.

Disagree somewhat, depends on the headphone.
as we are touching on my home set up.

with HE-560, iFi iDSD micro as DAC feeding Lyr 2 (with quality NOS tubes), delivers a much more "realistic" sound, with better (taller, deeper) soundstage across the entire range,
well beyond what the Class AB amp within the iDSD micro delivers.

iDSD micro internal amp is no slouch with powering the HE-560, and it's great for transportable listening around the house or travel.
but it is "more lean" than Lyr 2.

iDSD micro internal amp is great with IEMs as a portable set up.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3,269 of 9,047
Nice reply Jexby. Did your tubes break the bank?

about $70-$120 per tube depending on the market, preference of tube, etc.

each tube rated at 10,000 hours.  so for about 5 hours of power-on for night time listening:  about 5 years of enjoyment.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #3,270 of 9,047
You say you don't want trouble, but you make such cheeky comments. Be happy with the dry, flat neutral presentation of your iDSD built-in amp, and its lean limp sound with low efficiency headphones like orthos. :)

Sorry. I really tried to present a differing position without offending you. I'll do better next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back