ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Nov 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #421 of 2,267
Never tried to return anything to them but please let me know if they take the LCDs back. I'd do the same to not deal with the hassle of selling them.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #422 of 2,267
yeah, they are worth more used, and i'm on the fence as the construction of the LCD-3's is really nice.  just really like my HD800 accuracy and imaging.  i have returned defective items to adorama a couple times and never had to pay shipping or go through any hassle.

Quote:
Never tried to return anything to them but please let me know if they take the LCDs back. I'd do the same to not deal with the hassle of selling them.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #423 of 2,267
They're worth more used? The LCDs?

Nov 24, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #425 of 2,267
Gotcha

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #426 of 2,267
Quite the sale price for the Pro iCan

http://www.adorama.com/ifproican.html?emailprice=t

$1299

Wow and i thought i got a deal on a demo unit through music direct. Thats new, and around the same price... I dunno how to even feel about this. I had told myself before i jumped on the demo don't because of this scenario, but i really wanted the ican pro. I mean at least i know it would work, and music direct demos are pretty good. Though having a brand new unit sealed with all the plastic just feels better. Plus, my demo unit for the price of this brand new one had some very light scratches on the viewing window, though I really have to be trying to look for them. I'm not sure of the exact material they used for the little window, but i'm pretty sure its not glass. I would love to buff it out and make it perfect, and it doesn't seem impossible or hard. Though the risk of fixing something that could be lived with and making it worse is just a bad feeling lol. I mean it seems like a pretty superficial complaint, but i'm sure you all can relate to this in one way or another haha                                        

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #427 of 2,267
  A DAC is in everything. It is what converts Digital to Analog so it can be audible. How the sound is converted to Analog makes a huge difference in the sound quality being heard. Some units, even more expensive than this amp, still have a somewhat digital sound to the conversion and make the music less natural. 

The same way an amp can sound murky, bassy or bass light, midrange heavy or thin etc etc is the same way a DAC can sound and the built in DAC of your computer is not really good enough for an amp of this caliber or hardly any amp for that matter. My DAC is the most expensive part of my chain and the most important to me. I would never really know what the amp is capable of unless I have a good DAC to enable it. 

Would one need a true balanced topolgy DAC to feed the iCAN Pro to fully realize the benefits of it's balanced headphone output?. Any suggestions for one that matches well sonically and in aesthetics / form factor in a desktop stack?

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #428 of 2,267

A DAC is in everything. It is what converts Digital to Analog so it can be audible. How the sound is converted to Analog makes a huge difference in the sound quality being heard. Some units, even more expensive than this amp, still have a somewhat digital sound to the conversion and make the music less natural. 

The same way an amp can sound murky, bassy or bass light, midrange heavy or thin etc etc is the same way a DAC can sound and the built in DAC of your computer is not really good enough for an amp of this caliber or hardly any amp for that matter. My DAC is the most expensive part of my chain and the most important to me. I would never really know what the amp is capable of unless I have a good DAC to enable it. 

Would one need a true balanced topolgy DAC to feed the iCAN Pro to fully realize the benefits of it's balanced headphone output?. Any suggestions for one that matches well sonically and in aesthetics / form factor in a desktop stack?

No, you don't need a balanced DAC to benefit from the balanced topology.

As for a stack, iFi will eventually come out with a matching, a quite expensive, Pro iDSD. Until then, its mix and match. Most solid state DACS don't put out that much heat, so you should be able to stack the iCan on top of any DAC that's big enough.

As for synergy, well that's in the ear of the beholder. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between good DACs. Even if they could, a difference doesn't mean one DAC is better; it just means there's a difference.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #429 of 2,267
Just got my Ican Pro today and I'm going to connect it to Modi Multibit tomorrow after work at least until the IDsd is released (if it's affordable) Any settings or recommendations from you guys would be much appreciated... Currently using JRiver and most of my files are flac.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #430 of 2,267
Just got my Ican Pro today and I'm going to connect it to Modi Multibit tomorrow after work at least until the IDsd is released (if it's affordable) Any settings or recommendations from you guys would be much appreciated... Currently using JRiver and most of my files are flac.

balanced mode and solid state. 

The 800 and 700 can use some tube love

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #431 of 2,267
balanced mode and solid state. 

The 800 and 700 can use some tube love

"Worthwhile" balanced tube DAC under 1000.00, the unicorn I've between searching for.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #434 of 2,267
Hi guys,

Slightly off-topic, but I'm not getting much help from other sources. Those of you who use line inputs, what cables can you recommend? I'm beginning to think replacing the stock cables might actually yield a noticeable SQ improvement.
Thanks!

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #435 of 2,267
There's Cayin iDAC-6. I believe it can be bought new for 999$

Was just reading up on it. Thanks for the suggestion! Anyone have any experience with this Dac?
I like the fact that when using balanced HP's
"XLR requires the tube section to be engaged". Now you got me wondering if I should forego the IDSD (when it's released) altogether and just get one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back