ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Sep 12, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #286 of 2,267
If your interested in something, get it, listen to it. That's the only way to tell. This guessing and virtual comparison does no one any good - just takes up space. There are plenty of people in this thread that say the ican pro is good. If you believe them and want to hear it for yourself, great.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #287 of 2,267
I don't afford the amr machines as they are way above euro10,000. and I heard at the local dealer here. the ifi stuff still has that analogue sign. other names you mention don't have that background and that is what think also makes a differer

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #289 of 2,267
Just got one in for review, knocked up some XLR interconnects to hook it up to my Matrix Quattro II DAC so I can test it balanced with my Hifiman HE-500's.

So far I really like it, a lot. It has so much power. Also the size is perfect, it sits atop the Quattro II perfectly.

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #290 of 2,267
  Has anyone compared it directly to the Ragnarok yet, which is at a similar price point?

Also, can anyone do the math on the balanced output wattage at 50ohms? Heard it drives the HE-6 real well, but would like to know the actual numbers.

I'd like to hear more impressions with HE-6, and additionally, did your particular problem with HE-6 sorted?

edit: *did you get it sorted :p

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #293 of 2,267
I know this was touched on briefly, but I don't understand the point of having the volume knob control the volume level on the preamp out. I mean, this is supposed to be a high end headphone amp, which also has a bunch of preamp features in it, which seems crazy to me because it just doesn't seem to jive with the people that would actually be buying this thing.  At least I wish there was an option to have a line level output or volume controlled (I want to feed my balanced dac through this and then into my actual pre/pro which controls my sound)

Rant over. I do quite like this thing, as it really makes all my headphones sing, just wish it wasn't trying to be multi-tasker

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #294 of 2,267
  I know this was touched on briefly, but I don't understand the point of having the volume knob control the volume level on the preamp out. I mean, this is supposed to be a high end headphone amp, which also has a bunch of preamp features in it, which seems crazy to me because it just doesn't seem to jive with the people that would actually be buying this thing.  At least I wish there was an option to have a line level output or volume controlled (I want to feed my balanced dac through this and then into my actual pre/pro which controls my sound)

Rant over. I do quite like this thing, as it really makes all my headphones sing, just wish it wasn't trying to be multi-tasker

Mind sharing some impressions with the HE-6, as somebody had some problems with it, but you didn't?

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #295 of 2,267

Mind sharing some impressions with the HE-6, as somebody had some problems with it, but you didn't?

For clarification, there are a few people in this thread that have not had issues with the HE-6. There was only  1 issue, which appeared to be an electrical issue either in the house or with the unit, as it was purchased in the UK but used in the US:

House electricity is solid. This unit is from the UK and I'm using it in the US, so the one thing I had to do was change the 3 pin power cable to a 2 pin power cable. Maybe that's the issue, I'll try some different cables or use the 3 pin with a 2 pin wall outlet adapter?

As for myself, I don't feel as comfortable evaluating amps/pre-amps as much as other equipment because to me, the mark of a truly great amp or pre is that it doesn't sound like its there. DAC's and speakers are easy to compare because you can hear what is there and what isn't, but I'm pretty firmly on Team Neutral when it comes to amps, and I have a hard time explaining what isn't/shouldn't be there (this itself is hard for me to put eloquently into words)

All that being said, my history with headamps include: magni2 uber, lyr2, ifi ican, soundblaster x7 (combo dac/amp but I've also used the line inputs to test it strictly from an amp perspective), ifi ican pro, naim dac v1 (combo unit i was testing). Not a huge fan of the schiits, and I got rid of those pretty quickly after I bought them. The ican non-pro has been driving my office rig consistently with my DT-990's, HE-400S's, HD 600's.  For about 15 minutes it even drove my HE-6's when I took delivery of them (it made sound out of them, but with everything CRANKED it just lacked authority).

Setup consists of PS Audio Directstream Junior balanced out into ican pro into 4 pin balanced cable to HE-6.  I occasionally listen to my turntable through my pre/pro and into the ican pro using the rca inputs - works great, but I prefer listening to my vinyl through my speakers.  I also listen to movies (SE out from my XMC-1) late night through the headamp so it doesn't keep people up, and this pairs great with my DT-990's for some great action movie sound and explosions. I also tried the single ended into HE-6, but it just lacked that something special that the balanced offered (a bit of control, a bit of depth, maybe a bit of gusto - hard to put into words, I just prefer the balanced out to my HE-6's)

As for the ican pro and the HE-6: its great. Granted, I've never compared it to anything else (just because I don't have access to anything else even remotely powerful enough for the HE-6). But I think I know how these monsters are supposed to sound, and the ican pro drives these with authority, control, and finesse. It is clearly the best headamp I have (I did a massive comparison a few weekends back with all my cans, and they all sound the best on the ican pro). 

In terms of loudness, I keep the gain in the middle position, and the volume knob never goes past noon. But overall volume is just part of the story, and I find the ican pro deftly handles strong percussion, the earthquake lows and striking vocals without flinching. My go to test CD is this Chesky album (specifically track 23 and 29). I also threw in some Lemonade, Life after Deathstar, and Tennyson Like What.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO4YDe073TU&list=PLdZhik4dyFHr4kncCtr024E2IfP330dP2&index=23

http://lifeafterdeathstar.net/

https://soundcloud.com/tennysonmusic/likewhat

I haven't really gotten into all the "features" of the amp like the 3D stuff or the different tubestates. I do use the Xbass at 10hz, which gives a lovely little bump for the HE-6's (haven't really tried out the other settings, just on cursory glance thought the 40hz was too much bottom end for my tastes.

Downsides?  Don't like that the volume knob controls the preouts (only tested the balanced ones). Just wish it acted as a balanced pass through so I could fit this in between my DAC and pre/pro.  It gets warm, but not hot. Also the front panel is crowded and confusing. I know they want this to be the kitchen sink of headamps, but come on guys: who is running dual 3.5 or 6.3 jacks to get balanced to their headphones? and 3 pin balanced? for headphones? never seen it

TLDR: tastes great, less filling

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #297 of 2,267
  what does tldr mean

too long didnt read?

what does that mean and why use it. Not being snarking but I really never understood it. 

It means the same thing as "summary" but the internet is too stupid to be able to spell that :)

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #298 of 2,267

For clarification, there are a few people in this thread that have not had issues with the HE-6. There was only  1 issue, which appeared to be an electrical issue either in the house or with the unit, as it was purchased in the UK but used in the US:

House electricity is solid. This unit is from the UK and I'm using it in the US, so the one thing I had to do was change the 3 pin power cable to a 2 pin power cable. Maybe that's the issue, I'll try some different cables or use the 3 pin with a 2 pin wall outlet adapter?

As for myself, I don't feel as comfortable evaluating amps/pre-amps as much as other equipment because to me, the mark of a truly great amp or pre is that it doesn't sound like its there. DAC's and speakers are easy to compare because you can hear what is there and what isn't, but I'm pretty firmly on Team Neutral when it comes to amps, and I have a hard time explaining what isn't/shouldn't be there (this itself is hard for me to put eloquently into words)

TLDR: he likes it ... heeheehee
wink_face.gif

Actually this view is uncommon. To me its the DAC that should be most neutral. It is on the front line and is the star of the show. The DAC should tell it like it is and the amp should be able to tell you what you want. Traditionally this has been the case except for in the professional world but even then they have the EQ hardware after the DAC. The old hifi gear had tone controls after the Source. 

Also since the amp is what handles the resistance and is where you have to match the power as well as where you can swap tubes it is less expected for the amp to be neutral. Lastly the headphone driver makes the biggest difference in sound, then the amp, then the DAC. The variance in the market is that way as well. 

If you continue buying gear thinking the amp is the one to be neutral etc you will have a tough time finding the ideal amp. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #299 of 2,267
Duly noted. For a myriad of reasons I just don't agree with what you say. But lets keep this on topic and not get into a whole dac vs amp discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back