ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jul 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #166 of 2,267
I swapped out the stock cable with a Nordost Purple Flare power cord. There were some minor improvements. The sound seemed weightier, smoother and more natural. It's also slightly easier to identity micro details in a track. Overall a nice upgrade.

Wow. that implies there is some power filtering missing from the iPower and the pro iCan. I was under the impression the Pro's power handling is really good an not affected as much by power input. Then you add the iPower, which is also supposed to clarify power quite a bit. If some as basic as a power cord can make a difference, I'm very skeptical about the claims from iFi on the efficacy of pro and iPower's ability to provide clean power.

Have you tried multiple blind tests with a second person to make sure you aren't just suffering from selection bias? 

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #167 of 2,267

Wow. that implies there is some power filtering missing from the iPower and the pro iCan. I was under the impression the Pro's power handling is really good an not affected as much by power input. Then you add the iPower, which is also supposed to clarify power quite a bit. If some as basic as a power cord can make a difference, I'm very skeptical about the claims from iFi on the efficacy of pro and iPower's ability to provide clean power.

Have you tried multiple blind tests with a second person to make sure you aren't just suffering from selection bias? 

Dude, why don't you just listen to the iCAN Pro and decide for yourself? Music Direct has them in stock. Subjectivity is a very powerful thing.

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #168 of 2,267

Dude, why don't you just listen to the iCAN Pro and decide for yourself? Music Direct has them in stock. Subjectivity is a very powerful thing.

Ok, I realize I've been a bit skeptical of some of the claims. The above one just got to me. Lots of talk on the thread about the great power supply and filters built in to the Pro, and then a power cable can make a difference? that just doesn't add up.

I'll look into Music Direct's return policy. They have a 60 day return policy, but I cannot tell is simply not liking the device is an acceptable excuse, or if there is a restocking fee.

I guess for now, I'll unsubscribe so I'm not tempted to call BS on claims, and I'll wait for broad reviews. Sorry for my intrusion. 

Jul 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #169 of 2,267

Ok, I realize I've been a bit skeptical of some of the claims. The above one just got to me. Lots of talk on the thread about the great power supply and filters built in to the Pro, and then a power cable can make a difference? that just doesn't add up.

I'll look into Music Direct's return policy. They have a 60 day return policy, but I cannot tell is simply not liking the device is an acceptable excuse, or if there is a restocking fee.

I guess for now, I'll unsubscribe so I'm not tempted to call BS on claims, and I'll wait for broad reviews. Sorry for my intrusion. 

Nah, man, you ask valid questions. I mean, I would think you are interested in the thing, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. And I totally agree, the amount of available reviews out there, especially reviews from where we've come to expect them is a little puzzling. I would think iFi would be plugging the hell out of this box. Go figure.

But that's just one person talking about one cable making a quantifiable difference. I can't claim that he/she is wrong or right. The only way to know is to test it for yourself. Once I started plugging all of my gear into a proper power regenerator, I could change cords all day and not hear a difference. Power supplies, yes, but not the cords, themselves. Go figure.

About Music Direct: if you don't like it, send it back. That's the way the return policy works. I have no affiliation with Music Direct, but they are a good company. They stand by the equipment they sell. That's my go-to place for almost anything now, and I guess they don't begrudge me for sending something back, since most of the gear I've bought from them I keep.

Jul 12, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #170 of 2,267
IFI AUDIO... You should send this box out. Actually it should have been sent before its official release. If you are confident it performs well against TOTL amps then send it to folks like @project86
Or others that have some experience. I find that to be a very important move for launching a product. I would try to review it but I dont have the headphones anymore since I sold a lot of them for the Pavane.

Im eager to read wildcatsare1 review

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #172 of 2,267
IFI AUDIO... You should send this box out. Actually it should have been sent before its official release. If you are confident it performs well against TOTL amps then send it to folks like @project86
Or others that have some experience. I find that to be a very important move for launching a product. I would try to review it but I dont have the headphones anymore since I sold a lot of them for the Pavane.

Im eager to read wildcatsare1 review

They are. Be patient. :D

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #174 of 2,267
They are. Be patient.
biggrin.gif

Patient? That's a headfi term I'm not aware of 
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #176 of 2,267
ONE DAY~! I WILL GET MY HANDS ON THIS THING! I just have to save up over 2500AUD.

It's quite worth the wait, an excellent, versatile amp!

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #177 of 2,267
@grizzlybeast Hey I'm set to review the Pro iCan for The Headphone List, I'll be comparing it to the Taurus Mk.2, Herron 5, Liquid Carbon and MicroZOTL 2. Though I am absolutely convinced that Koolpep's command of the English Language is superior to mine, I'll attempt to provide you with the comparisons you seek.

Really looking forward to your review and comparisons against the MZ2 and LC. Any initial quick impressions? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #178 of 2,267
Really looking forward to your review and comparisons against the MZ2 and LC. Any initial quick impressions? :D

Sure, I'll give you a hint; I just sold my LC :wink:.

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #179 of 2,267
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #180 of 2,267
Many have sold their LC to get the MZ2. So itll all depend if youre selling the MZ2 :wink:

The MZ2 isn't going anywhere, except maybe to Mojo for the hot rod update (I also have one of those in the house).

I'll just say for now the iCan Pro is the most versatile amp I've ever used, has the best DSP I've ever heard in a headphone amp (it blows away any of the cross feed systems I have tried), and is three different (& very good) amps in one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back