iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #781 of 5,913
I can't remember. Does the ZS hardware prevent using the SPDIF output if USB is also connected? I was going to do some a/b testing for sound quality between USB and SPDIF/COAX. But I was never able to get the coax to work unless I disconnected USB and restarted the ZS.
Not a hardware issue, but it could be a software limitation. I use both USB and S/PDIF all of the time from within Roon. That functionality may not be available for other use cases.

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #783 of 5,913
I bought a Zen from amazon and couldn't get it to work right out of the box, I got a replacement today, did a firmware update and was enjoying web radio for 30 minutes. Started hearing static, so I thought I would restart it. Now I can't get the large LEDs back lit. I am getting everything else, web radio works fine but I feel I have another faulty one. Anybody have suggestions? I created a support ticket. I have it connected to ethernet wire, how do I change settings so it streams using ethernet, not wireless? I don't see an option.

Aug 2, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #784 of 5,913
First thing I did after ...err.. unboxing was to check the sticker on the power supply which indicates 15v.

I looked up the IP for the ZS on my routers admin interface (I’m guessing there’s an assignment setting causing the IP to change?) and went into the ZS settings which remained as I’d left them. The ZS also showed up on the windows Tidal app and after a few attempts started working on my phone again. In the end a temporary - but inexplicable - glitch.

I’m surprised at how cool the device operates at given some of the earlier posts. Maybe something fixed with the update, or I have one of the ‘good’ power supplies.
hello, what voltage should sticker show? i will check mine. mine also quit last night and it was not the internet connection. i also contacted IFI and clicked on their reply and got a 404 message. but while it was working it sounds great. ordered a Supra coax cable today.

Attachments

• P1060314.jpeg
    P1060314.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #786 of 5,913
My stack has come together nicely now that I replaced the 48" TV that I was using as a monitor with a standard 32" 4K screen. The little streamer continues to amaze me a week after I got it. Attached a Samsung T5 SSD containing 830 GB of FLACs and DSDs and it works like a charm. Took the little bugger almost 48 hours to chew through the albums but in the end managed to process over 13,000 songs.

Two more mods to do this week, the Burson supercharger that's on order and the QED Reference XLR 40 Analogue XLR to XLR Interconnect Pair that's on its way. For a desktop setup, this is as good as it gets.

Attachments

• 20210803_134133.jpg
    20210803_134133.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210803_132526.jpg
    20210803_132526.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #789 of 5,913
My ZS arrived today. Set it up and was streaming Tidal via phone app in under 5 minutes.

Then...it stopped working.

The ZS suddenly didn’t appear as a networked device in the Tidal app on my phone any longer. Also, I cannot access the browser-based ifi app. Neither “ifi.local” not the IP works.
Hi,

Have you tried a soft reset yet?

I can't remember. Does the ZS hardware prevent using the SPDIF output if USB is also connected? I was going to do some a/b testing for sound quality between USB and SPDIF/COAX. But I was never able to get the coax to work unless I disconnected USB and restarted the ZS.

There have been some cases where the stream only outputted to one area while not the other.

What DAC are you using?

I bought a Zen from amazon and couldn't get it to work right out of the box, I got a replacement today, did a firmware update and was enjoying web radio for 30 minutes. Started hearing static, so I thought I would restart it. Now I can't get the large LEDs back lit. I am getting everything else, web radio works fine but I feel I have another faulty one. Anybody have suggestions? I created a support ticket. I have it connected to ethernet wire, how do I change settings so it streams using ethernet, not wireless? I don't see an option.

It automatically chooses the fast input.

hello, what voltage should sticker show? i will check mine. mine also quit last night and it was not the internet connection. i also contacted IFI and clicked on their reply and got a 404 message. but while it was working it sounds great. ordered a Supra coax cable today.

The power supplies in the Stream vary, from 9, 12, to 15v depending on what batch they were in after they were packaged.

Any chance you have a different one near you to test a different CPU?

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #790 of 5,913
Replaced the white Wi-Fi antenna and MQA decoding jumped from 8X to 64 X! Funny thing is, I don't even use Tidal or own an MQA endowed DAC... 😜

Nice stack indeed! What antenna did you switch to?

Neat looking little stack.

Reminiscent of the little critter droids that ran about in Star wars.

Exactly! Accurate!

Aug 3, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #791 of 5,913
Hi,

Have you tried a soft reset yet?

Hi Sebastien,

I now have a problem with maintaining a stable network connection. I’m mainly streaming with Tidal Connect but have the dial set to ‘catch all’ as I sometimes stream from my PC and use airplay.

When starting to stream, the left LED indicator is white and the right one green. Then the left LED turns red for a few seconds and the stream is interrupted. This has happened every few minutes in the last hour, making listening to music impossible.

It is possibly my network, but none of the six other connected devices is experiencing these connection interruptions. I’m using the same port and Ethernet cable used to connect my previous streamer and an interruption of this nature has (maybe) happened five times in the two years I’ve used it.

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #794 of 5,913
hello
my Zen Stream was sounding great, but quite suddenly. the IFI icon disappeared on my Tidal app. but the white and green lights remain on. so the unit did not power down. it has done this a couple times when using both the Soptify, Mcoonect, and Tidal app. on my computer and iPhone. sounds great when it works. my retailer is sending me a new 12v PSU after conferring with IFI. it was originally shipped with a 9v supply. anyone else with this issue? thanks.

Attachments

• P1060314.jpeg
    P1060314.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back