iFi Audio Zen Dac 3... Plug In, World Out!
Apr 16, 2024 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 166

iFi audio

Sponsor: iFi audio
1713267688590.png

Plug In. World Out.​

The Award-winning DAC/headphone amplifier for Home and Office.

Fresh New Look. Unleash Every Music Detail.​

The ZEN DAC 3 serves as your gateway to the world of high-resolution music, offering support for sample rates of up to 768kHz. This future-proof feature ensures full compatibility with all music formats available on streaming platforms, bringing you the best in sound quality.
Equipped with a built-in headphone amplifier and the versatility to function both as a DAC and a DAC/Pre, this all-encompassing device is the only piece of equipment you’ll need on your desk. It seamlessly connects to headphones, preamplifiers, integrated amplifiers, or active speakers, offering a comprehensive audio solution for home and office.

1713267894177.png

Refined to Perfection.​

The acclaimed ZEN DAC series has garnered numerous awards, including being named WHAT Hi-Fi?’s Best DAC under £200 for four consecutive years.

The ZEN DAC 3 continues its legendary status by doubling its high-resolution support up to 768kHz, DSD512, and MQA decoding capabilities.

The USB-C connectivity streamlines cable management and provides USB input overvoltage protection, safeguarding it against potential harm. Moreover, a significant reduction in DC offset minimises audio clicks when adjusting settings. These improvements propel the ZEN DAC 3 to new heights of audio excellence.

1713267970300.png

Powering Your Headphones​

The ZEN DAC 3 goes beyond being just a USB DAC, boasting a built-in headphone amplifier equipped with both balanced 4.4mm and SE 6.3mm headphone outputs.
With its high-performance 390mW headphone output power, you can use it with a broad range of headphones.
XBass+ is a switchable pure analogue signal processing mode designed to enhance the bass without compromising the clarity of the mid-range. It is perfect for use with IEMs or open-back headphones, which may lack bass response.
The amplifier stage includes a switchable gain feature called PowerMatch, which provides a gain boost for more demanding headphones.If you have headphones that demand even more power, you can connect the ZEN DAC 3 to the ZEN CAN headphone amplifier using a 4.4mm to 4.4mm balanced cable, stacking them up as a ZEN system.

1713268061244.png

DACtivate your speakers and amplifier.​

The ZEN DAC 3 features a Variable or Fixed output switch.

In Variable mode, adjust volume using the knob when connecting directly to active speakers via our 4.4mm to XLR cable or RCA cables.

Use Fixed mode for connecting line outputs to a receiver or main amplifier.

The ZEN DAC 3 is the most versatile USB DAC in its class, offering multiple usage options.

1713268137560.png

USB-C Powered, Upgradeable Performance.​

The ZEN DAC 3, powered by USB-C, simplifying cable management. However, for audiophiles seeking to elevate their system, the 5V power input offers an upgrade path.
When an external power supply is connected, the USB-C port will only transmit data, ensuring a purer signal.
The iFi iPower2 is an ultra-quiet, ultra-clean audiophile-grade power supply, featuring Active Noise Cancellation II technology to cancel out all incoming EMI and RFI noise, you’ll never feel powerless against noise and graininess again.
It is more than 10 times quieter than most audiophile power supplies.

The XMOS 16-Core chip processes the audio data received via the USB* digital input.
This new low-latency XMOS microcontroller has greatly enhanced processing power. Compared to the current generation of eight-core chips, this new 16-core IC delivers double the clock speed (2000MIPS) and four times the memory (512KB), as well as the latest SuperSpeed USB standard.
iFi’s in-house digital development team has programmed the XMOS firmware to optimise sound quality and ensure a perfect partnership with the Burr-Brown DAC.

1713268400996.png

The Burr-Brown True Native® chipset means file formats remain unchanged or ‘bit-perfect’. This means you are listening to music as the artist intended in the format in which it was recorded.
At iFi we use Burr Brown extensively in our products having selected it for its natural-sounding ‘musicality’ and True Native architecture. Our experience with this IC means we know how to make the most of it.

MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is supported through the USB with full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip.
Check out how to set up your MQA decoder via Tidal, Roon and Audirvana here.
This means that the full ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’.
Globally, MQA has become an important consideration for any comprehensively equipped DAC. It is available through for Tidal Masters, Audirvana and Roon.

It is a superior method to the traditional single-ended circuit approach. Balanced circuits reduce noise and crosstalk. Less Interference – clearer sound.
You normally find this set-up in products at the higher end of the price spectrum such as the Pro iCAN Signature but iFi is now using this across its range to produce the best quality audio for all our customers.

Sonically superior – richer, deeper.
The XBass® analogue bass correction system corrects for the missing headphone/speaker bass response.

Extensive jitter-eradication technologies are applied to the digital stage, including our GMT (Global Master Timing) femto-precision clock and the intelligent memory buffer.
The low-jitter crystal clock has been updated to provide >20dB better performance

1713268364640.png

1713268383247.png
1713268400996.png

For more info visit us here...

ZEN DAC 3

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 16, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 166
Just when I thought I was done buying audio products for a while…

The original Zen DAC was probably my favorite and most-used DAC/amp for several years and it really helped me get into this hobby.

I’m glad it’s still able to be powered by USB alone and USB-C is a welcome upgrade. I think I will have to get this. :)

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 166
I WAS an ifi zen dac v2 + zen can user. Glad to see this upgrade. I hope you can solve the problem that L and R channels are unbalanced at low volumes.
Channel imbalance at lower volumes will occur whenever Analog Volume pots are used, hopefully, the IEMs or headphones one is using are just above the range of this being an issue, as we prefer Analog volume pots!

Cheers!!

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 166
BRAVO iFi, finally a manufacturer that provides us a small form factor DAC that manages the USB connection directly for ultimate sound quality. We've had several discussion on the subject and I really think this is the way to go instead of telling us afterwards that we need to buy an external DDC to make the USB connection sound as good as the COAX or other connections.

I know it's too early but personally I'll be eager to know how the DAC side of the Zen v3 sounds versus the iDSD Finale that I own.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 166
BRAVO iFi, finally a manufacturer that provides us a small form factor DAC that manages the USB connection directly for ultimate sound quality. We've had several discussion on the subject and I really think this is the way to go instead of telling us afterwards that we need to buy an external DDC to make the USB connection sound as good as the COAX or other connections.

I know it's too early but personally I'll be eager to know how the DAC side of the Zen v3 sounds versus the iDSD Finale that I own.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of portable amps advertising "buy this DC adapter and unleash the amp's true potential!" Like, I get that wall power is always going to be better than battery or USB power, but at least put the effort into the USB connection so there isn't such a gap in performance and don't hinge everything on buying an adapter, for those of us who really prefer not to use this plugged into the wall.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 166
1713267688590.png

Plug In. World Out.​

The Award-winning DAC/headphone amplifier for Home and Office.

Fresh New Look. Unleash Every Music Detail.​

The ZEN DAC 3 serves as your gateway to the world of high-resolution music, offering support for sample rates of up to 768kHz. This future-proof feature ensures full compatibility with all music formats available on streaming platforms, bringing you the best in sound quality.
Equipped with a built-in headphone amplifier and the versatility to function both as a DAC and a DAC/Pre, this all-encompassing device is the only piece of equipment you’ll need on your desk. It seamlessly connects to headphones, preamplifiers, integrated amplifiers, or active speakers, offering a comprehensive audio solution for home and office.

1713267894177.png

Refined to Perfection.​

The acclaimed ZEN DAC series has garnered numerous awards, including being named WHAT Hi-Fi?’s Best DAC under £200 for four consecutive years.

The ZEN DAC 3 continues its legendary status by doubling its high-resolution support up to 768kHz, DSD512, and MQA decoding capabilities.

The USB-C connectivity streamlines cable management and provides USB input overvoltage protection, safeguarding it against potential harm. Moreover, a significant reduction in DC offset minimises audio clicks when adjusting settings. These improvements propel the ZEN DAC 3 to new heights of audio excellence.

1713267970300.png

Powering Your Headphones​

The ZEN DAC 3 goes beyond being just a USB DAC, boasting a built-in headphone amplifier equipped with both balanced 4.4mm and SE 6.3mm headphone outputs.
With its high-performance 390mW headphone output power, you can use it with a broad range of headphones.
XBass+ is a switchable pure analogue signal processing mode designed to enhance the bass without compromising the clarity of the mid-range. It is perfect for use with IEMs or open-back headphones, which may lack bass response.
The amplifier stage includes a switchable gain feature called PowerMatch, which provides a gain boost for more demanding headphones.If you have headphones that demand even more power, you can connect the ZEN DAC 3 to the ZEN CAN headphone amplifier using a 4.4mm to 4.4mm balanced cable, stacking them up as a ZEN system.

1713268061244.png

DACtivate your speakers and amplifier.​

The ZEN DAC 3 features a Variable or Fixed output switch.

In Variable mode, adjust volume using the knob when connecting directly to active speakers via our 4.4mm to XLR cable or RCA cables.

Use Fixed mode for connecting line outputs to a receiver or main amplifier.

The ZEN DAC 3 is the most versatile USB DAC in its class, offering multiple usage options.

1713268137560.png

USB-C Powered, Upgradeable Performance.​

The ZEN DAC 3, powered by USB-C, simplifying cable management. However, for audiophiles seeking to elevate their system, the 5V power input offers an upgrade path.
When an external power supply is connected, the USB-C port will only transmit data, ensuring a purer signal.
The iFi iPower2 is an ultra-quiet, ultra-clean audiophile-grade power supply, featuring Active Noise Cancellation II technology to cancel out all incoming EMI and RFI noise, you’ll never feel powerless against noise and graininess again.
It is more than 10 times quieter than most audiophile power supplies.

The XMOS 16-Core chip processes the audio data received via the USB* digital input.
This new low-latency XMOS microcontroller has greatly enhanced processing power. Compared to the current generation of eight-core chips, this new 16-core IC delivers double the clock speed (2000MIPS) and four times the memory (512KB), as well as the latest SuperSpeed USB standard.
iFi’s in-house digital development team has programmed the XMOS firmware to optimise sound quality and ensure a perfect partnership with the Burr-Brown DAC.

1713268400996.png

The Burr-Brown True Native® chipset means file formats remain unchanged or ‘bit-perfect’. This means you are listening to music as the artist intended in the format in which it was recorded.
At iFi we use Burr Brown extensively in our products having selected it for its natural-sounding ‘musicality’ and True Native architecture. Our experience with this IC means we know how to make the most of it.

MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is supported through the USB with full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip.
Check out how to set up your MQA decoder via Tidal, Roon and Audirvana here.
This means that the full ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’.
Globally, MQA has become an important consideration for any comprehensively equipped DAC. It is available through for Tidal Masters, Audirvana and Roon.

It is a superior method to the traditional single-ended circuit approach. Balanced circuits reduce noise and crosstalk. Less Interference – clearer sound.
You normally find this set-up in products at the higher end of the price spectrum such as the Pro iCAN Signature but iFi is now using this across its range to produce the best quality audio for all our customers.

Sonically superior – richer, deeper.
The XBass® analogue bass correction system corrects for the missing headphone/speaker bass response.

Extensive jitter-eradication technologies are applied to the digital stage, including our GMT (Global Master Timing) femto-precision clock and the intelligent memory buffer.
The low-jitter crystal clock has been updated to provide >20dB better performance

1713268364640.png
1713268383247.png1713268400996.png
For more info visit us here...

ZEN DAC 3

Cheers!!

It would be even more "versatile" if it accepted optical and coax digital inputs.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #11 of 166

Apr 16, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 166
Why not offer different filters?
Multibit will likely result in bad measurements from ASR and the likes 😅

beautiful design, though!

I just bought an SMSL DL200 for its optical input and the balanced TRS outs for my studio monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back