iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #946 of 2,511
I really haven't spent enough time with it to tell the battery life.

I think it is safe to say that the xDSD isn't quite on the level of micro iDSD yet (and micro iDSD BL of course). On a quick comparison, I'll say Mojo might also be edging out the xDSD on SQ as well, but the difference is smaller than that between xDSD and micro iDSD. In fact, I think xDSD is quite comparable to FiiO Q5 in overall SQ when it comes to s-balance vs. Q5's 2.5mm balanced output (AM3A) - with xDSD giving a slightly sweeter tone (especially over mid-range) and Q5 giving a wider image. The real advantage is that xDSD is much lighter and smaller in footprint than the Q5. While Mojo might look smaller, it is actually about the same weight as Q5, plus I never find it to be particular portable especially considering the odd design of ball shape buttons. Overall, I am quite happy with the xDSD.

You haven't seen the half of it :nerd:
I'm deciding between the Q5 and the xDSD, most reviews and opinions seem to say that the xDSD would be the preferable for sound quality. I was wondering if since this comment was written you may have spent more time with either of them to have changed your opinion or whether you would still them quite comparable? My main issue with the xDSD is that it would require an adapter to get the balanced advantages, the AM3B module would be an advantage for me.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #947 of 2,511
I'm deciding between the Q5 and the xDSD, most reviews and opinions seem to say that the xDSD would be the preferable for sound quality. I was wondering if since this comment was written you may have spent more time with either of them to have changed you opinion or whether you would still them quite comparable? My main issue with the xDSD is that it would require an adapter to get the balanced advantages, the AM3B module would be an advantage for me.

My opinion hasn't changed.

Sep 30, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #948 of 2,511
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #950 of 2,511
I assume you meant 4.4mm to 3.5mm TRRS for balanced connect to the xDSD.

Only ones I'm aware of are these (just different lengths I believe; 10cm vs 50cm):
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-end-Silver-Balanced-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07FJNHMMT
https://www.amazon.com/hi-end-Copper-Female-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07967K7ZK

I also had trouble finding obscure balanced adapters and have a few from the above Amazon seller with a couple more coming soon. Decent quality considering the price but, most importantly, they work (haven't tried those specific 4.4mm adapters though nor the xDSD yet).
Thanks for the links.
I'm closer to getting the XDSD - just wondering if since this post there are any other options for 4.4mm adapters to use the XDSD's balanced output? I know adapters can be a weak link.
I assume you meant 4.4mm to 3.5mm TRRS for balanced connect to the xDSD.

Only ones I'm aware of are these (just different lengths I believe; 10cm vs 50cm):
https://www.amazon.com/Hi-end-Silver-Balanced-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07FJNHMMT
https://www.amazon.com/hi-end-Copper-Female-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B07967K7ZK

I also had trouble finding obscure balanced adapters and have a few from the above Amazon seller with a couple more coming soon. Decent quality considering the price but, most importantly, they work (haven't tried those specific 4.4mm adapters though nor the xDSD yet).
Thanks for the link. I think one of them is just standard 3.5mm?
I've just bought an xDSD from another member and will be making an adapter purchase soon Just want to double check that it is 3.5mm TRRS adapter I require?

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #951 of 2,511
Thanks for the links.
I'm closer to getting the XDSD - just wondering if since this post there are any other options for 4.4mm adapters to use the XDSD's balanced output? I know adapters can be a weak link.

Thanks for the link. I think one of them is just standard 3.5mm?
I've just bought an xDSD from another member and will be making an adapter purchase soon Just want to double check that it is 3.5mm TRRS adapter I require?

Both are shown as TRRS. Regular TRS (unbalanced) 3.5mm has one less ring; 3 poles instead of 4.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #952 of 2,511
Both are shown as TRRS. Regular TRS (unbalanced) 3.5mm has one less ring; 3 poles instead of 4.
Thanks - I'm not sure about the balanced terms eg TRRS etc.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #953 of 2,511
Thanks - I'm not sure about the balanced terms eg TRRS etc.

You can always send him a message to confirm. All 3 of the balanced adapters I have from him are TRRS balanced. The one unbalanced TRS adapter he made at my request isn't even listed on Amazon.

You can also send an email to Trevor at Norne Audio about what you're looking for, or John over at Surf Cables. More expensive (and less of a language barrier) but they've all made 3.5mm TRRS balanced cables and adapters for me in the past.

iFi is one of the few Western companies supporting 3.5mm balanced but, although there are more options and adapters readily available compared to just a few years ago, if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, you'll have to ask cable makers specifically (pin-out diagrams and all) for what you need. Another option is DIY. I have the tools and some experience but haven't yet managed to start making my own cables/adapters but perhaps in the near future.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #954 of 2,511
Another option is DIY. I have the tools and some experience but haven't yet managed to start making my own cables/adapters but perhaps in the near future.

This IMHO is the way to go if you have the skills (or know someone half competent in soldering). You can find all you need on eBay for under $30 including the OCC (/silver) cable. Depending on what 'phones you are making the cable for, more often than not all you are doing is replacing the 1 plug.

:metal::sunglasses:

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #955 of 2,511
TRRS makes so much sense, I can't believe how little options there are for adapters to connect to existing balanced headphones. This is my first device that has this option but it's a bummer I can't find a simple adapter from either iFi or Amazon.

Not knocking the capabilities of the xDSD, just voicing a frustration I'm sure many of us have.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #957 of 2,511
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #958 of 2,511
This is the the adapter i got for balanced 2.5mm headphones...works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BK4BRLV/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this adapter from Amazon UK as well because i have prime and i needed something quick and I can say that with my cables it is very cumbersome to use and regret even buying it because there are two plugs one after the other increasing the probability of damaging my xDSD by an accident.

IMG_20181014_100455119.jpg

Also sound quality wise I am bit confused with this adapter maybe my idea but it seems I prefer my unbalanced set up with the adapter in the photo below.

More importantly is very convenient an adapter like this:

IMG_20181013_110945611.jpg

Which I am waiting the ifi compatible balanced version feom @Mavismodz which is very very convenient as an adapter and I am very happy with the sound quality as well. I chose a different colour to not just confuse between my unbalanced and balanced adapters.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #959 of 2,511
I must say I'm really impressed with the bluetooth performance of the xDSD. I compared it with a usb-c otg cable from my android phone yesterday and the difference in soundquality is miniscule. It sounds probably slightly clearer via the USB, but the difference is minimal. I bought it for bluetooth use, and I'm really happy that it sounds so good.

Now lets hope for a firmwareupdate to LDAC at a later stage and then I think there won't be any difference at all.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #960 of 2,511
First, the issues with iOS devices and BT need to be solved. Then I'll buy a unit for myself as well. It's a basic functionality, and according to the reports from the users there still seem to be problems requiring to forget, reset and completely re-pair when xdsd is being used with iOS devices. It cannot be an issue of iOS, every other BT device I use in my household connects pretty nicely with any of 9 iOS devices our family uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back